Goshūshō-sama Ninomiya-kun Light novel volume 3 featuring Reika (left) and Mayu (right).
|Genre||Harem, Romantic comedy, Supernatural|
|Written by||Daisuke Suzuki|
|Illustrated by||Kyōrin Takanae|
|Published by||Fujimi Shobo|
|Imprint||Fujimi Fantasia Bunko|
|Original run||September 18, 2004 – January 20, 2009|
|Written by||Daisuke Suzuki|
|Illustrated by||Haiji Suzuro
|Published by||Fujimi Shobo|
|Magazine||Monthly Dragon Age|
|Original run||October 2007 – October 2008|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Koji Yoshikawa|
|Licensed by||Kadokawa USA|
|Network||Chiba TV, TV Saitama|
|Original run||October 4, 2007 – December 20, 2007|
Goshūshō-sama Ninomiya-kun (ご愁傷さま二ノ宮くん, Our Condolences, Ninomiya-kun) is a Japanese light novel series by Daisuke Suzuki, with illustrations by Kyourin Takanae. The light novel started serialization in Monthly Dragon Magazine in April 2005, published by Fujimi Shobo. A manga adaptation was being serialized in the shōnen manga magazine Monthly Dragon Age. An anime adaptation by AIC Spirits first aired in Japan on October 4, 2007.
Goshūshō-sama Ninomiya-kun's story revolves around Shungo Ninomiya, a male high school student trained in difficult hand-to-hand combat. He lives in a huge house with his older sister Ryōko, who is almost always gone on some dangerous mercenary mission. One day, his sister sends Mayu and Mikihiro Tsukimura (Mayu's older brother) to live with him to help Mayu overcome her fear of men. This is accomplished by making Mayu and Shungo share the same room, bathe together and even sleep together in the same bed. Making things more awkward, Reika Hōjō, the student-council president, is blackmailed into becoming their maid due to a video that Ryoko recorded, in which she tries to seduce Shungo.
- Shungo Ninomiya (二ノ宮峻護 Ninomiya Shungo )
- Voiced by: Junji Majima, Ayahi Takagaki (young), Takuma Terashima (first radio drama)
- Shungo, the main character, is a talented martial artist. It seems that he knew Mayu and Reika when they were kids but only Reika, Mayu, and several other characters remembers this, yet remaining oblivious. He also seems to show extreme self-restraint against any physical or otherwise improper interactions with women, as the girls in his school are frequently trying to get him to have intercourse with them (or at least sexually tease him anyways to try his restraint as much as possible), but so far he has done his best to run away. In fact he shows almost no interest at all in women with the exception of Mayu and Reika.
- Mayu Tsukimura (月村真由 Tsukimura Mayu )
- Voiced by: Mai Kadowaki, Umeka Shouji (young), Yuko Goto (first radio drama)
- Mayu is a girl suffering from androphobia who is sent by Ryōko Ninomiya to live with Shungo to get over her fear. She is a succubus, which in this series refers to people with special abilities of attracting members of the opposite sex and feeding on their life force. However, Mayu cannot control her power, which causes her to be chased by men often. She frequently finds herself getting into situations where she puts herself into embarrassing situations, for example, getting sprayed with water from the sink while wearing a tight white shirt or frequently falling on top of Shungo in suggestive positions. She is horrible at cleaning up or tidying up places. She binds up the fringes of her hair on each side with a pair of bat's wing-like hair-clips. Though she is terribly clumsy, which often gets her into bad situations, Mayu is very lucky, which serves to bring her out of said situations. Mayu is in love with Shungo. It is later revealed that Mayu, Reika, and Shungo are actually childhood friends.
- Reika Hōjō (北条麗華 Hōjō Reika )
- Voiced by: Miyuki Sawashiro, Yuki Matsuoka (first radio drama)
- Reika is the student council president at Shungo's school, and is the heiress to/executive of her father's vast corporate empire, and is a stereotypical tsundere. She becomes Shungo's maid after Ryōko threatens to spread a video of her over the web. She loves Shungo and is envious of Mayu's large breasts. She had a close childhood relationship with Shungo in the past, somewhat like lovers in fact, although Shungo only vaguely remembers this in his dreams. It has been shown that, like Mayu, Reika is also a succubus. She has symptoms of DID, that apparently the outer Reika talks to sometimes. The other side of her introduces herself as the darkness within Reika, and while the "normal" Reika speaks with an aristocratic air (by using Japanese speech that is reasonably too formal), once the "inner" Reika surfaces, the formal speech format disappears and Reika speaks in a more blunt manner. The "inner" Reika is also willing to do anything to get Shungo.
- Ryōko Ninomiya (二ノ宮涼子 Ninomiya Ryōko )
- Voiced by: Michiko Neya, Naomi Shindou (first radio drama)
- Ryōko is Shungo's older sister. She is also a skilled martial artist and sometimes brings a camera to tape Shungo and Mayu together and provoke Shungo. She likes to mess around with her younger brother and the other girls most of the time for her own personal enjoyment.
- Mikihiro Tsukimura (月村美樹彦 Tsukimura Mikihiro )
- Voiced by: Ken Narita, Daisuke Hirakawa (first radio drama)
- Mikihiro is Mayu's older brother. He is an incubus, the male counterpart of a succubus. He is very sneaky and devious, although not evil, and good at manipulating others to do what he wants, like Reika for instance. He seems to have known Ryōko for a long time, as they are often seen working together, even in flashbacks. In the anime, it is revealed that he owns a wheat farm, an animal ranch, and a fishing boat.
- Mitsuru Hosaka (保坂光流 Hosaka Mitsuru )
- Voiced by: Kouki Miyata, Yuka Inokuchi (first radio drama)
- Mitsuru, otherwise known chiefly as Hosaka, is an employee of the Hōjō organization. He is a student council member, and Reika's main assistant. He is prone to being slapped and beaten by Reika. Nonetheless, he demonstrates the ability to his own strengths and abilities when he leaps off the balcony of a multi-story building, but is simply docile towards Reika. His speed, power and agility also seems to surpass Shungo, but his endurance is low, so if a punch lands, he falls much quicker. He also, like Shungo, seems to not be affected by Mayu's succubus powers for reasons unexplained.
- Shinobu Kirishima (霧島 しのぶ Kirishima Shinobu )
- Voiced by: Saeko Chiba
- Kirishima is a maid in the service of the Hōjō family. She sees it as her duty to watch over Reika. She carries a wakizashi sword. Unlike Hosaka who uses relatively casual (though not rude) speech patterns with Reika, Kirishima uses only Japanese honorifics towards Reika, but quickly reverts back to blunt speech towards Shungo, whom she thinks is not worthy of Reika, and is always trying to "execute" him. It is hinted that she may have a bit of a crush on Shungo, though she is unwilling to admit it.
The series began as a light novel originally serialized in the Japanese shōnen light novel magazine Monthly Dragon Magazine in April 2005, published by Fujimi Shobo. As of September 2008, ten normal volumes under the title Goshūshō-sama Ninomiya-kun, and six smaller volumes under the title Oainiku-sama Ninomiya-kun have been published. The novels are written by Daisuke Suzuki with illustrations by Kyōrin Takanae. The series won second prize in Fujimi Shobo's Long Fantasy Novel Contest.
There have been two radio dramas for the series. The first, containing five broadcasts, aired between June 25, 2006 and July 23, 2006 and was a part of the Fujimi TeenAge Fun Club. These broadcasts were later compiled into a drama CD in December 2006. The second radio drama began on October 7, 2007 on the same station. The voices in the second radio drama are from the voice actors from the anime version, but the voices in the first broadcast were from different voice actors.
A manga adaptation, illustrated by Haiji Suzuro and Reiji Hamada, began serialization in Fujimi Shobo's shōnen manga magazine Monthly Dragon Age in early 2007. The first bound volume was released in October 2007, and the second was released in January 2008.
An anime adaptation by the animation studio AIC Spirits first aired in Japan on October 4, 2007, and ended on December 20, 2007, containing twelve episodes. The anime has been licensed for release in English by Kadokawa USA. The opening theme is "Yubikiri" (ユビキリ, lit. "pinky promise"), and the ending theme is "Fure Fure Pon Pon!" (ふれふれっぽんぽん!, lit. "Go Go Pom Pom!"); both songs are sung as duets by Mai Kadowaki and Miyuki Sawashiro, who voiced Mayu and Reika respectively. Starting December 15, 2010, Crunchyroll released English subtitled episodes of the series under the title Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun. Episodes were released weekly in sets of three to the public, with the final three episodes being released on January 5, 2011.
|#||Title||Original air date|
|01||"I'm Going to Kiss You!"
"Kisu Shichae yo" (キスしちゃえよ)
|October 4, 2007|
|Shungo meets Mayu at his school, and learns about Mayu's condition.|
|02||"I'm Going to Push You!"
"Oshikakechae yo" (押しかけちゃえよ)
|October 11, 2007|
|Reika is introduced and gets worked up when Mayu unknowingly makes fun of her. Reika challenges Mayu to a contest for Shungo, only to lose and be blackmailed into becoming his maid.|
|03||"Let's Go to Town!"
"Machi e Ikō yo" (街へいこうよ)
|October 18, 2007|
|Hinako takes Mayu out to get to know her better, while Reika attempts to get rid of Mayu by exploiting her fear of men.|
|04||"Let's Take Care of the House!"
"Rusuban Shiyō yo" (留守番しようよ)
|October 25, 2007|
|Mayu attempts to help Reika with the housework, only to find a hidden passage instead. They get trapped within the passages for most of the day, only to be abducted by Ryōko for slacking off when they finally escape.|
|05||"Let's Go to the Beach!"
"Umi e Ikō yo" (海へいこうよ)
|November 1, 2007|
|The crew go to the beach for a "vacation", where Mayu starts getting closer to Shungo as Reika continues to try to upstage her. After witnessing Shungo inviting Mayu to watch the stars together, Reika wanders off in a depression. Shungo runs off to find her, only to meet her inner self instead. Things end with the appearance of a mysterious group of soldiers.|
"Omoidashite yo" (思い出してよ)
|November 8, 2007|
|Shungo, Mayu and Reika are attacked by soldiers and are held captive in the house. Shungo fights back but is beaten up after being knocked out by a mysterious woman in a Tiki mask. Reika exploits Mayu's bad luck to trigger the various traps in the forest, spreading chaos among the enemy. She uses this as a diversion to free Shungo, who then faces off against the mysterious woman.|
"Genkidashite yo" (元気だしてよ)
|November 15, 2007|
|Shungo falls ill after "losing his fighting spirit" and Mayu tries to nurse him back to health, with disastrous results.|
|08||"Let Me Eat It!"
"Tabesasete yo" (食べさせてよ)
|November 22, 2007|
|Ryōko orders Shungo to make some ramen for her. He and Mayu spend hours trying to create the perfect ramen, only to realize that Ryōko will settle for a simple cup ramen.|
"Ubacchae yo" (奪っちゃえよ)
|November 29, 2007|
|The class is at Kyoto on a field trip, the boys try to get into the girl's room but are hunted down by the various faculty members. After being taunted by Tasuku, Shungo tries to force his way in to see Mayu, only to be intercepted by Irori.|
|10||"Let's Go Have Fun!"
"Asobi ni Ikō yo" (遊びにいこうよ)
|December 6, 2007|
|Shungo, Mayu and Reika spend the last day in Kyoto having fun together, like they did back when they were children. Tasuku tries to break them up by using his family's ninja clan to eliminate Mayu, only to be stopped by Irori. Irori confesses her love to Tasuku and tells him she has only loved him, not Shungo. Mayu leaves the house and Shungo is under arrest.|
|11||"Don't Run Away!"
"Nigenaide yo" (逃げないでよ)
|December 13, 2007|
|Reika's inner self has taken over and uses her corporate muscle to separate Shungo from Ryōko in an attempt to restore his memory. After reminiscing with Reika, he's drugged and held captive (plus nearly raped) in order to keep him from Mayu. Irori and Tasuku then combine forces with Shungo's other friends in an attempt to rescue him.|
|12||"Let's Walk Forward!"
"Arukidasō yo" (歩きだそうよ)
|December 20, 2007|
|Shungo races to find Mayu before she runs out of energy, only to run up against Hosaka. Mayu sacrifices herself to save him, only to be accidentally revived by the now complete Reika.|
- "Kadokawa USA Announces Six New Licenses". Anime News Network. 2008-07-05. Retrieved 2008-07-06.
- "Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun released English subtitled on Crunchyroll". Crunchyroll. Retrieved 2011-01-13.