Great Bend Municipal Airport
|Great Bend Municipal Airport|
|2006 orthophoto from USGS|
|IATA: GBD – ICAO: KGBD – FAA LID: GBD|
|Owner||City of Great Bend|
|Serves||Great Bend, Kansas|
|Elevation AMSL||1,887 ft / 575 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
Great Bend Municipal Airport (IATA: GBD, ICAO: KGBD, FAA LID: GBD) is a city-owned airport five miles west of Great Bend, in Barton County, Kansas. It is used for general aviation and sees one airline, subsidized by the Essential Air Service program.
Federal Aviation Administration records say the airport had 1,407 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 927 in 2009 and 719 in 2010. The National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015 called it a general aviation airport (the commercial service category requires 2,500 enplanements per year).
During World War II, the facility was Great Bend Army Airfield and was used for United States Army Air Forces Second Air Force training. It was one of the first B-29 Superfortress bases, used to organize XXI Bomber Command before it deployed to the Western Pacific in 1944. It was closed during the late 1940s and turned over to civil control.
The airport is the site of the first nationwide NHRA event, held in 1955.
The airport covers 1,887 acres (764 ha) at an elevation of 1,887 feet (575 m) above mean sea level. It has two asphalt runways: 17/35 is 7,851 by 100 feet (2,393 x 30 m) and 11/29 is 4,706 by 75 feet (1,434 x 23 m).
In the year ending October 31, 2011 the airport had 21,181 aircraft operations, average 58 per day: 81% general aviation, 12% air taxi, 7% airline, and <1% military. 31 aircraft were then based at this airport: 81% single-engine and 19% multi-engine.
Airline and destinations
Scheduled passenger flights:
|Great Lakes Airlines||Hays (non-stop), Denver (one-stop)†|
† Great Lakes Airlines' flight to Denver stops in Hays, Kansas.
- FAA Airport Master Record for GBD ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective April 5, 2012.
- "Enplanements for CY 2008" (PDF, 1.0 MB). CY 2008 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. December 18, 2009.
- "Enplanements for CY 2010" (PDF, 189 KB). CY 2010 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2011.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- Essential Air Service documents (Docket DOT-OST-1998-3496) from the U.S. Department of Transportation:
- Order 2009-9-5: re-selecting Great Lakes Aviation, Ltd., to provide essential air service (EAS) at Dodge City, Garden City, Great Bend, Hays, and Liberal for the two-year period from October 1, 2009, through September 30, 2011, at combined annual subsidy rates of $8,897,565.
- Order 2011-10-24: re-selecting Great Lakes Aviation, Ltd., to provide essential air service (EAS) at Great Bend and Hays combined for $3,246,061 annual subsidy.
- Municipal Airport at City of Great Bend website
- PDF from Kansas DOT Airport Directory
- Aerial image as of March 2002 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective March 6, 2014
- FAA Terminal Procedures for Great Bend Municipal (GBD), effective March 6, 2014
- Resources for this airport: