|Single by Kreayshawn|
|from the album Somethin' 'Bout Kreay|
|Released||June 14, 2011|
|Kreayshawn singles chronology|
"Gucci Gucci" is a song by American rapper Kreayshawn from her debut studio album Somethin' 'Bout Kreay (2012). It was released on June 14, 2011 by Columbia Records as her debut single overall and the lead single from the record itself. The song, produced by DJ Two Stacks who added the high hats and Adeptus, contains a sample of another Kreayshawn song, "Bumpin Bumpin". The song peaked at number 57 on the Billboard Hot 100. The hip hop track was also a hit in Belgium and charted on hip hop charts in the United Kingdom as well as the U.S. A remix was released featuring British rapper Giggs. By 2012, the record received a gold certification by the Recording Industry Association of America.
Background and composition
The single gained popularity after being uploaded on her YouTube channel on May 16, 2011, the song garnered nearly 3 million views on YouTube in a little over two weeks. In the song she proclaims her disdain for wearing designer brands such as Gucci, Fendi, Louis Vuitton, and Prada The song's success was able to get her a record deal with Columbia Records.
Kreayshawn wrote the song with American rapper and ghostwriter Anthony "Speak" Negrete. In an August 2011 interview with Rebecca Haithcoat from LA Weekly Negrete brought it to the attention of the world that he had not been paid royalties for his contributions.
The music video was directed by Joseph Zentil of Strange Customs. The video features cameo appearances from former White Girl Mob member Lil Debbie, rapper Speak!, as well as Jasper Dolphin, Taco Bennett, and Left Brain of Odd Future.
Touré commented on the song: "The song basically attacks a central tenet of hip-hop: Many rappers embrace labelism as part of their celebration of upward mobility as well as a postmodern sentiment that you are the brands you wear." He also said that the song had "childishly simple rhyme patterns" such as "I’m lookin’ like Madonna, but I’m flossin’ like Ivana." James Montgomery of MTV ranked "Gucci Gucci" 23rd of his top 25 songs of 2011. The song was remixed by American rapper Lil Wayne for his mixtape Sorry 4 the Wait. The song is also ranked in Pitchfork's The Top 100 Tracks of 2011 and many other publications.
|MTV||25 Best Songs of 2011||2011||#23|
|Pitchfork||The Top 100 Tracks of 2011||2011||#48|
|Complex||The 25 Best Songs of 2011||2011||#9|
|Popmatters||The 75 Best Songs of 2011||2011||#24|
On the week of July 30, 2011, the song debuted on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart at number 83. It also debuted at number 82 on the Billboard Hot 100 on the week ending August 13, 2011.
|"Gucci Gucci" – Digital EP|
||DJ Two Stacks||3:07|
|2.||"Gucci Gucci" (Two Stacks Remix)||
||DJ Two Stacks||3:36|
|3.||"Gucci Gucci" (Giggs Remix)||
||DJ Two Stacks||3:07|
|4.||"Gucci Gucci" (Instrumental)||DJ Two Stacks||3:06|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||14|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||22|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||77|
|US Billboard Hot 100||57|
|US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||62|
|US Billboard Rap Songs||18|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
|United States||July 14, 2011||Digital download||Sony Music Entertainment|||
- Kreayshawn Explains the Creative Process behind "Gucci Gucci" and why her music can't be classified
- Kreayshawn drops 'Gucci Gucci' video - baltimoresun.com
- ‘Gucci Gucci’ Rapper Kreayshawn Inks Deal with Columbia Records
- "Meet Speak, Who Co-Wrote Kreayshawn's "Gucci Gucci"". LA Weekly. 2011-10-31. Retrieved 2011-11-02.
- Touré (December 25, 2011). "Challenging Hip-Hop’s Masculine Ideal". The New York Times. pp. AR18.
- Montgomery, James (December 13, 2011). "Beyonce, Britney Spears And More: 25 Best Songs Of 2011". MTV News. Retrieved December 25, 2011.
- Staff Lists: The Top 100 Tracks of 2011 | Features | Pitchfork
- Beyonce, Britney Spears And More: 25 Best Songs Of 2011 - Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV.com
- 9. Kreayshawn "Gucci Gucci" — The 25 Best Songs of 2011 | Complex
- The 75 Best Songs of 2011 | PopMatters
- Billboard Hot R&B / Hip-Hop Songs – 25 July « Creative Disc – Music Weblog
- "Britney Spears Bounds Into Hot 100's Top 10, LMFAO Still No. 1". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011-08-03. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "Gucci Gucci - EP". iTunes. September 2011.
- "Ultratop.be – Kreayshawn – Gucci Gucci" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved 11 January 2011.
- "Archive Chart" UK R&B Chart.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.
- Grein, Paul (7 September 2011). "Week Ending Sept. 4, 2011. Songs: Adele's Back On Top". Yahoo! Chart Watch. new.music.yahoo.com. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "American single certifications – Kreyshawn – Pop That". Recording Industry Association of America. October 22, 2012. Retrieved October 19, 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- . iTunes.com. Retrieved September 14, 2011.