Guillermo Díaz (actor)
Diaz at the 2013 Imagen Awards
March 22, 1975 |
New Jersey, U.S.
Guillermo Díaz (born March 22, 1975) is an American actor. He is known for films Half Baked (1998), 200 Cigarettes (1999) and Stonewall (1995). He currently stars as Huck in the ABC drama TV series Scandal.
Early life and career
Díaz was born in New Jersey, to Cuban parents, and grew up in Washington Heights, Manhattan. In 1994, he landed his first speaking role as Spike in Boaz Yakin's Fresh. From there he began working on Party Girl as Leo, Parker Posey's roommate. His next role was a drag queen (La Miranda) in Nigel Finch's Stonewall. In 1996, Díaz worked in Jim McKay's Girls' Town as Dylan, after which he appeared in I'm Not Rappaport.
Díaz played Paco de la Vega al Camino Cordoba Jose Cuervo Sanchez Rodriguez Jr., a high school gang member in High School High. He later appeared in Freeway as Flaco, another gang member. While in Los Angeles, he did guest spots on ER and Party of Five.
After finishing work on the West Coast, Díaz traveled back east to play a stoner named Eric in Brian Sloan's film I Think I Do. A similar role followed as Scarface in the film Half Baked. One of his co-stars was Dave Chappelle, who later cast him in several episodes of Chappelle's Show. In 1999, he landed a non-speaking role in 200 Cigarettes, and went on to act in both Ethan Hawke's directorial debut Chelsea Walls and the movie Just One Time, where as secondary characters one critic thought that he and Jennifer Esposito provided what little "comic spark" existed in the film.
Díaz played Guillermo García Gómez, a drug dealer/trafficker, in seasons 2-6 of Showtime's series Weeds. In 2009, he starred on the NBC series Mercy, where his portrayal of the gay nurse Angel received negative criticism in online forums for being too flamboyant. In 2010, he appeared in the thriller film Exquisite Corpse.
After having portrayed several Mexican thugs (cholos), Díaz was cast in 2010 as a Latino gangster named Poh Boy in Cop Out. When asked about being typecast, he said: "I [used to worry], but not really anymore. Now I'm just grateful that I'm working. I try to make everything different."
Diaz is openly gay. In 2011, he told Out magazine that his rough upbringing in New York City ultimately made him a better actor. He said: "I went to school in the Bronx. I learned to constantly try to cover up the fact that I was gay. That facade of being somebody I'm really not just to protect myself definitely helped with acting."
In popular culture
In 2006, he joined the cast of a series of improv-based commercials for Sierra Mist titled Mist Takes. A Spanish version of the advertisements began airing and the bilingual Díaz also starred in those with other Latino comedians.
|1996||High School High||Paco Rodriguez|
|1996||I'm Not Rappaport||J.C.|
|1997||Gold Coast||Barry||TV film|
|1997||I Think I Do||Eric|
|1998||The Effects of Magic||Winston|
|1998||Just One Time||Victor||Short film; 8 minutes|
|1999||In Too Deep||Miguel Batista|
|1999||Just One Time||Victor||Remake of 1998 short film|
|1999||Pop Tarts||Adrian||Short film; 11 minutes|
|2002||Fidel||Universo Sánchez||TV film|
|2002||A Log Story||Niko Gorgina|
|2002||Sexy||Voice 3||Animated short; Voice actor|
|2002||West of Here||Thomas|
|2003||A Mi Amor Mi Dulce||Chocolate de la Oca Montez||Short film; 23 minutes|
|2004||Terminal, TheThe Terminal||Bobby Alima|
|2004||Tony n' Tina's Wedding||Raphael|
|2005||My Suicidal Sweetheart||Hector|
|2005||Dirty Love||Tom Houdini, Magician|
|2005||Husk||Chris||Short; Remade as Husk (2011)|
|2005||Sangre/Blood||Ricky||Short film; 17 minutes|
|2006||13 Graves||Manny Rodriguez||TV film|
|2006||Down the P.C.H.||Doc|
|2006||Harvest||Eugene Pitkin||Short film; 17 minutes|
|2006||Seeking Solace||Guy||Short film|
|2006||Utopian, TheThe Utopian||Carlos Alvarez||Short film|
|2006||The Virgin of Juarez||Felix|
|2007||No Destination||A.J.||Short film; 18 minutes|
|2008||The Candy Shop||Halo|
|2009||Across the Hall||The Cook|
|2009||Butcher, TheThe Butcher||Owen Geiger|
|2009||No Exit||Michael||Short film; 15 minutes|
|2010||Cop Out||Poh Boy|
|2011||Without Men||Campo Elias|
|2012||She Who Laughs Last||Clown||Short film; 6 minutes|
|2012||Students Like Us||Adult Mike|
|2013||Bilet na Vegas (Билет на Vegas)||Detective García|
|1994||Law & Order||Juan Domingo||2 episodes|
|1995||ER||Jorge||Episode: "Days Like This"|
|1995||Party of Five||Ari||Episode: "Analogies"|
|1999||Law & Order||Bobby Sabo||2 episodes|
|1999||The Sopranos||Salesperson||Episode: "Meadowlands"|
|2000||Touched by an Angel||Rick Higuerra||Episode: "The Invitation"|
|2002||Third Watch||Rafael "Rafe" Connors||Episode: "The Long Guns"|
|2003–2006||Chappelle's Show||Himself||Guest star; 5 episodes|
|2004||The Shield||Garza||Episode: "Blood and Water"|
|2004||Without a Trace||Carlos Gonzalez||Episode: "Life Rules"|
|2007||Mist-Takes||Himself||Sierra Mist commercials|
|2007||The Closer||Spider||Episode: "Four to Eight"|
|2007–2012||Weeds||Guillermo||Guest star; 26 episodes|
|2008||Criminal Minds||Playboy||Episode: "Brothers in Arms"|
|2009–2010||Mercy||Nurse Ángel García||Series regular|
|2009||Poor Paul||Aaron||4 episodes|
|2009||Royal Pains||Benny||Episode: "Strategic Planning"|
|2010–2011||No Ordinary Family||Detective Frank Cordero||Guest star; 6 episodes|
|2011||Harry's Law||Miguel Martínez||Episode: "The Fragile Beast"|
|2011||Love Bites||Luis||3 episodes|
|2011||Poor Paul||Aaron||4 episodes|
|2012||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Omar Peña||Episode: "Justice Denied"|
|2002||Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix||Domingo Sanchez||Video game; Voice actor|
|2011||"I Wanna Go"||Guillermo||Music video (Britney Spears)|
|2014||"Run"||Himself||Music video (Jay-Z and Beyoncé)|
- Staff (2010). "Guillermo Diaz - Biography". New York Times. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Catching Up With Guillermo Díaz". Paste Magazine. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Before 'Scandal,' Guillermo Diaz was a real drag in 'Stonewall'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- Stephen Holden (December 26, 1996). "Movie Review: I m Not Rappaport (1996) - Expecting Godot? Not in Central Park". New York Times. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- Lee Hernandez. ""Weeds" Star Guillermo Diaz: "I'm A Very Big Advocate of Marijuana!"". latina.com. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Scandal Cast - Guillermo Diaz – "Huck"". CityTV.com. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Guillermo Díaz Turns 40: Rare Photos and Interesting Facts on 'Scandal' Actor". International Business Times. March 22, 2015. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Chappelle's Show: "Pilot"". IGN. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- The New York Times Film Reviews 1999-2000 by New York Times Theater Reviews
- ""Weeds" Star Guillermo Diaz’s High Life - The Urban Daily". The Urban Daily. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Guillermo Diaz: Angel of Mercy". Out Magazine. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "A Trailer and Artwork For an Exquisite Corpse". Dread Central. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Guillermo Diaz". avclub.com. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- Ryan, Kyle (February 28, 2010). "Random Roles: Guillermo Diaz". The A.V. Club. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
AVC: Do you worry that you’re getting too many of these roles, like, "Oh hey, another Mexican thug!" GD: At first when I read the script, I was like, "Oh God, another one? What the fuck am I gonna do to make this shit different?" [Laughs.]
- "A Cute Cop, Terminators, And Scarface: Britney's Brilliant New Video "I Wanna Go"". VH1. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- Britney Spears - I Wanna Go. YouTube. June 22, 2011. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- Lesley Goldberg. "'Scandal's' Guillermo Diaz Dishes on Huck's Mysterious Past". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "'Weeds' Actor Talks Getting Naked, Acting Like a Thug". out.com.
- Phyllis Furman (April 10, 2006). "Mist-Takes made again. New ads for Sierra Mist". New York Daily News. Retrieved March 23, 2015.