Hangul (word processor)
|Stable release||Hangul 2014 / October 10, 2013|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Stable release||Hangul 2008 Linux / April 2008|
|Stable release||Hangul 2006 / 25 April 2006|
|Development status||Released but abandoned|
|Operating system||Mac OS X|
|Platform||PowerPC (No Universal Binary yet)|
|Stable release||Hangul 97 / 1998|
|Operating system||Mac OS|
Hangul (also known as Hangul Word Processor or HWP) is a proprietary word processing application published by the South Korean company Hancom Inc.. It is used extensively in South Korea, especially by the government.
Hangul's support for the special needs of the Korean written language has gained it widespread use in South Korea. Microsoft Word and Hangul are used alongside each other in many South Korean companies.
Haansoft was on the verge of bankruptcy after the release of its 2002 version, due to the widespread use of illegal copies. A campaign to support the development of Korean software and promote the purchase of legal copies of Hangul allowed Haansoft to recover.
Hangul saves documents in HWP format, with the filename extension *.hwp. HWP files, up to the versions created with Hangul '97, can be opened with OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice. However, files created with later editions of Hangul, including Hangul Wordian, Hangul 2002, Hangul 2005 and Hangul 2007 cannot be opened with OpenOffice or LibreOffice, due to the major changes in the document structure. These later versions of Hangul do not provide support for opening and saving of files in Microsoft Word format, but users are not necessarily aware of this. Consequently, Korean Hangul users may often send files to non-Koreans in .hwp format, not realizing the recipient will be unable to open such files.
Recent versions also provide an English user interface depending on the location setting of the user's environment.
Hangul will support reading and writing of Office Open XML and OpenDocument files in its next version for Windows, which will be published in the end of 2009. HWP binary format specification has been published online free by Hancom on June 29, 2010.
Hangul Office in English
Hancome released "Office 2010 SE" which is an English Edition of Hancom office suite software package that includes the following applications:
- Hanword is a word processor for optimal word processing.
- Hancell is a spreadsheet Software for efficient data processing and analysis.
- Hanshow is a presentation software.
- Hancom Office
Haansoft offers a Hangul document viewer program freely available on its website called "Hancom Office Viewer 2010 SE" (한컴오피스 뷰어 2010 SE). The Windows and Mac versions may be downloaded from this page. The Mac version can be downloaded here.
Hangul Viewer 2007 is not capable of copying its text to the Windows clipboard, and although it can print to PDF via software such as CutePDF Writer, attempts to copy from the resulting PDF can result in characters being in the wrong order. However, it is possible to select text in Hangul Viewer, right-click on it, and select Daum Search, then right-click on the resulting Internet Explorer window and select Properties; the text that had been selected in Hangul Viewer will be part of the page's Address and can be selected and copied with Control-C, albeit without the line breaks.
Hangul Viewer 2007 is the only viewer compatible with Windows 8, as of December 23, 2012.
Hangul has many versions, the latest of which is Hangul 2014 for Windows, Hangul 2008 Linux for Linux, and Hangul 2006 for Mac OS X.
Previous versions have included:
- Hangul 0.9, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 (1989)
- Hangul 1.2L, 1.3L (1990)
- Hangul 1.5, 1.51, 1.52 (1991)
- Hangul 2.0 Pro/Basic (1992)
- Hangul 2.1 Pro/Basic/Test/Little (1993)
- Hangul 2.5 (1994)
- Hangul 3.0 (1995)
- Hangul 3.0, 3.0a, 3.0b (1995)
- Hangul 96, International, Japanese (1996)
- Hangul 97, 97 strengthen, 815 special edition (1998)
- Hangul Wordian, Hangul for Kids (2000)
- Hangul 2002 (2001, widely used for government e-document system)
- Hangul 2004 (2003)
- Hangul 2005 (2004)
- Hangul 2007 (2006)
- Hangul 2010 (2010) 
- Hancom Office 2010 SE(English Edition)
- Hangul 2014 (2013)
- Mac OS
- Hangul 96, 97 (1998)
- Hangul 2006 (2006) : PPC binary
- Hangul X 1.0, X 3.0 (1995)
- Hangul X R4 (1999, bundled in Mizi Linux 1 and 1.1)
- Hangul X R5 (2000, included in Hancom Office 2)
- Hangul 2008 Linux (2008, included in Hancom Office 2008 Linux)
- Other related software
- Net Hangul (2002, Hangul 2002 SE based)
- Documan (Hangul with USB storage)
- Hanshow : presentation program
- Hancel : spreadsheet software
- Hancom Takes Vision of Information Independence to the Globe
- "Sean" (2004-04-15). "opening hwp files in MSword". Eflgeek.com. Archived from the original on 2010-03-10. Retrieved 2013-02-05.
- "Haansoft Supports Open Type Documentation Standard". ZDNet.
- "한글과컴퓨터". Hancom.co.kr. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Another High-Tech Barrier Falls in South Korea", July 2, 2010
- "Mac App Store - Hancom Office Hanword Viewer". Itunes.apple.com. 2011-09-21. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "한컴 오피스, 3월 3일 출시 February 2, 2010". Bloter.net. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Official site: