|Part of a series on|
Hawaiian pizza is a pizza that usually consists of a cheese and tomato base with pieces of ham and pineapple. Often versions will have mixed peppers, mushrooms and bacon. Another variety consists of pineapple and Canadian bacon. It is the most popular pizza in Australia, accounting for 15% of pizza sales.
Despite its name, Hawaiian pizza is not a Hawaiian invention. The Village Voice, National Post, Toronto Sun, London Free Press and The Chatham Daily News have covered Sam Panopoulos' claim that he created the first Hawaiian pizza at the Satellite Restaurant in Chatham, Ontario, Canada in 1962. A co-owner of the Satellite Restaurant at that time - along with his brother, Nick Panopoulos - Sam and his brother were business partners for approximately 50 years. The brothers would later build off of the popularity of the Hawaiian Pizza and begin serving their next creation - the Hawaiian Burger.
Pineapple may have been used as a pizza topping before the '60's. It has been documented by J.E Marsh that the Quigley family on the banks of the Murray river in Yarrawonga Victoria started making pineapple pizzas in their famous wood fired mud brick pizza oven which still stands to this day. In his work, 'Bibliography of Murray Darling Basin' there are photographs in the early 50's of Esquire Alfred Quigley making pizzas with pineapple transported down from Queensland.
- Papa Murphy's, The Hawaiian Pizza
- Steve Green,PMQ GOES TO AUSTRALIA, Pizza Marketing Quarterly  Last accessed 13 December 2006
- Sarah DiGregorio, Do Hawaiians Eat Hawaiian Pizza? Plus, a Little History, The Village Voice  Last accessed 6 May 2010
- Drew Halfnight, Canadian man invented Hawaiian pizza, according to Wikipedia (and him), National Post  Last accessed on July 14, 2010
- Bob Boughner, Aloha! Hawaiian pizza born in Chatham?, The Chatham Daily News  Last accessed on July 14, 2010
- Geoff Turner, Canadian invented the Hawaiian pizza, Toronto Sun/Sun Media  Last accessed on July 14, 2010
- Geoff Turner, Londoner cited creator of the Hawaiian pizza ENTREPRENEUR: Wikipedia says Sam Panopolous invented the culinary delight 48 years ago, London Free Press/Sun Media  Last accessed on July 14, 2010
|This bread-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This cuisine-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|