He was Senior Economist in the Environment Department of the World Bank, where he helped to develop policy guidelines related to sustainable development. While there, he was engaged in environmental operations work in Latin America. He is closely associated with theories of a Steady state economy.
He is also a recipient of an Honorary Right Livelihood Award, the Heineken Prize for Environmental Science from the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, the Sophie Prize (Norway), the Leontief Prize from the Global Development and Environment Institute and was chosen as Man of the Year 2008 by Adbusters magazine.
He is widely credited with having originated the idea of uneconomic growth, though some credit this to Marilyn Waring who developed it more completely in her study of the UN System of National Accounts.
Selected publications 
- Toward a Steady-State Economy (editor, 1973)
- Steady-State Economics (1977)
- For the Common Good, (1989, with theologian John B. Cobb, Jr.). This received the Grawemeyer Award for ideas for improving World Order.
- Valuing the Earth (1993, with Kenneth Townsend)
- Beyond Growth (1996)
- Ecological Economics and the Ecology of Economics (1999)
- The Local Politics of Global Sustainability (2000, with Thomas Prugh and Robert Costanza)
- Ecological Economics: Principles and Applications (2003, with Joshua Farley)
- Daly, Herman E. (November 1993). "The Perils of Free Trade". Scientific American 269 (5): 24–29.
- Daly, Herman E. (1995). "On Wilfred Beckerman's Critique of Sustainable Development". Environmental Values 4: 49–55.
- Economics in a Full World, article in Scientific American (2005)
- A Steady State Economy, Paper presented to the UK Sustainable Development Commission, April 24, 2008
- Herman Daly (USA)
- Waring, M. 1988. Counting for Nothing: What Men Value and What Women are Worth. Reprinted in 1996 by Bridget Williams Books.
- The Daly News, steady state commentary and related news, with essays by Herman Daly
- M. King Hubbert on the Nature of Growth. 1974
- SEOV: Visions of Herman E. Daly (Video Interviews)
- First annual Feasta lecture, 1999, on "uneconomic growth in theory and in fact"
- Developing Ideas interview
- Right Livelihood Award recipient
- Steady-State Economics
- Electric Politics interview (podcast)
- The Crisis by Herman Daly and Tom Green
- Center for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy (CASSE)