Hosam Maher Husein Smadi
|Hosam Maher Smadi|
|Born||Hosam Maher Hussien Smadi
June 5, 1990
|Residence||FCI Terre Haute, Indiana|
|Occupation||Gas Station Attendant, restaurant help|
|Known for||Attempted to destroy Fountain place, a 60 story building in Dallas Texas|
|Parents||Maher Smadi (father)|
Hosam Maher Husein Smadi (born 1990) is a citizen of Jordan who was arrested on suspicion of planning a terrorist bombing of Fountain Place, a downtown skyscraper in Dallas, Texas, on September 24, 2009.
Smadi was in the United States illegally, and unaware he was under continuous surveillance, and that the other members of his "sleeper cell" were all Federal agents. The agents in his "sleeper cell" had supplied him with inert chemical, so his bomb had not posed a real threat.
Smadi admitted leaving what he thought was a truck bomb in a garage beneath the 60-story building September. The device was a dud provided by FBI agents posing as al-Qaeda members. Smadi activated a timer connected to the decoy with a cell phone, then rode with an undercover agent and waited to watch the explosion. Instead, the phone rang an FBI number, and Smadi was arrested.
Smadi agreed to plead guilty to attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction. The charge is punishable by up to life in prison and a $250,000 fine, but prosecutors agreed to suggest to U.S. District Judge Barbara M. Lynn that the sentence not be more than 30 years. Under the plea bargain, prosecutors dropped a charge accusing Smadi of bombing a public place. On October 20, 2010, he was sentenced to 24 years imprisonment. He will be deported from the United States after serving his sentence.
- "AP News : Judge to consider man's plea in Texas bomb plot". M.apnews.com. May 26, 2010. Retrieved June 1, 2010.
- Jason Trahan; Todd J. Gillman; Scott Goldstein (Saturday, September 26, 2009). "Dallas Bomb Plot Suspect Told Landlord He Was Moving Out". The Dallas Morning News. Archived from the original on September 24, 2009. Retrieved April 8, 2010.
- Anabelle Garay (October 4, 2009). "Jordan teen to have hearing in Dallas bomb plot". The Dallas Morning News. Archived from the original on October 5, 2009.
- Edith Nolan (September 24, 2009). "U.S. charges Afghan-born man with bombing plot". Reuters. Archived from the original on September 25, 2009.
- "Federal Bureau of Investigation - The Dallas Division: Department of Justice Press Release". Dallas.fbi.gov. Retrieved June 1, 2010.
- "US District Court Arrest Warrant". DOJ. Retrieved September 24, 2009.
- "DOJ Case Files US vs. Smadi". DOJ. Retrieved Sep 24, 2009.
- "Hosam Smadi FBI Video Evidence". DOJ. Retrieved Sep 24, 2009.
- "Picture of Inmate # 3942-177". DOJ BOP. Retrieved July 4, 2011.