|Born||c. late 1940s - early 1950s (approximate age in early 60s)|
|Service/branch||Korean People's Army|
General Hyon Yong-chol (Chosŏn'gŭl: 현영철; hancha: 玄永哲; MR: Hyŏn Yŏngch'ŏl) is a senior North Korean military officer. Hyon was promoted to the rank of four-star general (대장) alongside Kim Jong Un, Kim Kyong Hui, Kim Kyong Ok, Choe Ryong Hae, and Choe Pu Il in September 2010. He was listed as number 77 on the national funeral committee in the wake of Kim Jong Il's death in December 2011. Hyon was named as a member of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea on 28 September 2010. In February 2012, Hyon received the Order of Kim Jong Il.
Hyon was promoted to the rank of Vice Marshal (차수) of the KPA in July 2012, two days after Chief of the General Staff Ri Yong-ho was relieved of his duties. It was initially unclear if Hyon would replace Ri as Chief of the General Staff. But this was confirmed a few days later. He was also identified as vice-chairman of the WPK Central Military Commission on 26 July 2012.
On 31 March 2013, Hyon was made a Politburo alternate member, though he didn't take Ri Yong-ho's former seat on the Politburo Presidium. He was transferred to command the 5th Army Corps in May 2013. 
- "Hyon Yong-chol named vice marshal of N. Korean military". Yoanhap News Agency. 17 July 2012. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "N Korea names new vice-marshal in military reshuffle". BBC News. 17 July 2012. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "DPRK awards Hyon Yong Chol title of KPA vice marshal". news.xinhuanet.com. 17 July 2012. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "North Korea promotes military official to key rank after removing army chief". CNN. 17 July 2012. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "DPRK appoints new chief of army general staff". China.org.cn. 19 July 2012. Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- Kim Jong Un Attends Performance by KPISF, Visits Health Complex & Outdoor Ice Rink, North Korea Leadership Watch, 27 July 2012.
- North Korea Reshuffles 1/3 of Its Military Leadership: Source, Arirang News, 16 November 2012.
- N.Korean Army Chief Demoted After Defections
- Report on Plenary Meeting of WPK Central Committee , KCNA, 31 March 2013.
- N.Korea's Military Reshuffles Are a Dangerous Sign, The Chosun Ilbo, 24 May 2013.
|Party political offices|
|Vice Chairman of the Central Military Commission
Served alongside: Choe Ryong-hae
|Chief of the General Staff of the Korean People's Army
|This biographical article about a North Korean personality is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to an Asian military person is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|