|Secretary of the Department of Finance|
2 January 1979 – 10 April 1986
10 April 1986 – 1994
|Born||20 February 1935
|Died||2 August 2010(aged 75)|
Ian Castles AO OBE (20 February 1935 – 2 August 2010) was Secretary of the Australian Government Department of Finance (1979–86), the Australian Statistician (1986–94), and a Visiting Fellow at the Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government at the Australian National University, Canberra.
Life and career
Castles was born in Kyneton, Victoria and educated at state schools in Sale, Wesley College, Melbourne and Melbourne University. in 1954, he joined the Australian Public Service in the archives division of the National Library of Australia, then located in Melbourne, and moved to Canberra in 1957. He joined the Treasury in 1958. He was appointed Secretary of the Department of Finance commencing from 2 January 1979. In 1986 he was appointed Australian Statistician.
Between 1995 and 2000, he was Executive Director and Vice President of the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia and he was also President of the International Association of Official Statistics.
He was a contributor to Online Opinion, appeared at events hosted by the Institute of Public Affairs and Centre for Independent Studies, and published papers with The Lavoisier Group. Ian Castles was a skeptic known for his criticism of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, particularly its Special Report on Emissions Scenarios.
His interests included research into the information requirements for public policy (especially at the international level) and the history of economic thought.
His publications include:
- Ian Castles and David Henderson (2003) The IPCC emission scenarios: An economic-statistical critique, Energy & Environment, vol. 14: nos.2-3.
- Ian Castles and David Henderson (2003) Economics, emissions scenarios and the work of the IPCC, Energy & Environment, vol. 14, no. 4.
- Castles, Ian (2000) 'Reporting on Human Development: Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics', In Facts and Fancies of Human Development. Castles, Ian (eds.). Canberra: Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia.
- Andrew, Podger (13 August 2010). "Adviser helped steer economic reforms". The Canberra Times (Fairfax Media). p. 13.
- Fraser, Malcolm (13 December 1978). "Appointment of Mr Ian Castles as Permanent Head Department of Finance" (Press release). Archived from the original on 28 January 2014.
- Hawke, Robert (10 April 1986). "Appointment of Mr Ian Castles as Australian Statistician" (Press release). Archived from the original on 15 April 2014.
- Sydney Morning Herald, 28 September 2010
- Canberra Times, 3 August 2010[dead link]
- Stephens, Tony (28 September 2010). "Economist helped Finance rival Treasury's advice". Brisbane Times (Fairfax Media). Archived from the original on 15 April 2014.
- Stephens, Tony (19 October 2010). "The enigmatic 'Mr Numbers' of federal policy". The Age (Fairfax Media). p. 19.
- It's an Honour: OBE
- It's an Honour: AO
- Ian Castles at Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia
- Ian Castles at Online Opinion
- Sourcewatch : Ian Castles
- Works by or about Ian Castles in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
1986 – 1994
|Secretary of the
Department of Finance
1978 – 1986