Indonesia national badminton team
The Indonesia national badminton team represents Indonesia in international badminton team competitions and is controlled by the Persatuan Bulutangkis Seluruh Indonesia, PBSI (English: Indonesian Badminton Federation/Badminton Association of Indonesia, literally meaning: All Indonesia Badminton Federation), the governing body for badminton in Indonesia. The Indonesian team has not been absent from the Thomas Cup tournament (world men's team championship) since it first entered and won the competition in 1958.
The Indonesia men's team has participated in Thomas Cup 23 times, won the title 13 times and never failed to qualify for inter-zone competition. Indonesia has played in the decisive final tie on 18 occasions and never failed to place among the top four teams.
The Indonesia women's team has participated in Uber Cup 20 times, won the title 3 times and once failed to qualify in 2006. Indonesia has played in the decisive final tie on 10 occasions.
Men's doubles supremacy
Even though they actually have a balance of strength in all events, they are known for producing many great doubles in the men's category. Their doubles had conquered the Olympic Gold Medal, World Champion titles, All Englands and many open titles over decades. Among their greats are Tjun Tjun, Christian Hadinata, Eddie Hartono, Rexy Mainaky, Tony G, Sigit Budiarto, Markis Kido and Hendra Setiawan. Despite their domination, the national badminton governing body is also known for their awkward splitting decision. It happened twice in the Thomas Cup and thrice in the Olympics. In 1986, they chose to field King/Ertanto instead of the more solid King/Kartono, considering that Kartono always played badly against the Chinese. In 2004, they fielded weak doubles against strong Danish pairs. Because of those decisions, they lost the match. As for the Olympics, they didn't do anything to maintain the Halim/Tony partnership and Tony G quit the national team. They also split the Candra/Sigit combination months before the 2004 Games. If the pairs had remained they might have bagged the gold and silver medal. Four years later in Peking they deselected Tony G/Candra in favor of Luluk/Alvent. For the incoming London Games, the same thing may repeat once more due to their decision in deceiving reigning Olympics Gold Medalists Markus/Hendro.
At the London 2012 Olympic Games, two members of the Indonesian badminton team, Greysia Poli and Meiliana Jauhari, were thrown out of the tournament after being found guilty of match fixing. Chair of the London Organising Committee, Lord Coe described the incident as “depressing”.
Participation in BWF competitions
Participation in OCA competitions
Axiata Cup 2012
• 2012 - Winner (as Indonesia Garuda beating Indonesia Rajawali 5-1)
Southeast Asian Games
Thomas & Uber Cup
- MS : Tommy Sugiarto, Dionysius Hayom Rumbaka
- WS : Lindaweni Fanetri, Aprilia Yuswandari, Bellaetrix Manuputty
- MD : Mohammad Ahsan, Hendra Setiawan, Angga Pratama, Ryan Agung Saputra
- WD : Greysia Polii, Nitya Krishinda Maheswari, Meiliana Jauhari, Gebby Ristiyani Imawan, Tiara Rosalia Nuraidah
- XD : Tontowi Ahmad, Lilyana Natsir, Fran Kurniawan, Muhammad Rijal, Debby Susanto
- MS : Taufik Hidayat, Simon Santoso, Dionysius Hayom Rumbaka
- WS : Adriyanti Firdasari, Lindaweni Fanetri
- MD : Mohammad Ahsan, Bona Septano, Alvent Yulianto Chandra, Hendra Aprida Gunawan
- WD : Greysia Polii, Meiliana Jauhari, Anneke Feinya Agustin, Nitya Krishinda Maheswari
- XD : Tontowi Ahmad, Lilyana Natsir, Fran Kurniawan, Pia Zebadiah, Debby Susanto
- MS : Sony Dwi Kuncoro, Simon Santoso, Tommy Sugiarto
- WS : Maria Kristin Yulianti, Adriyanti Firdasari, Lindaweni Fanetri
- MD : Markis Kido, Hendra Setiawan, Yonathan Suryatama Dasuki, Rian Sukmawan, Mohammad Ahsan, Bona Septano
- WD : Meiliana Jauhari, Shendy Puspa Irawati, Greysia Polii, Nitya Krishinda Maheswari
- XD : Nova Widianto, Lilyana Natsir, Devin Lahardi Fitriawan, Lita Nurlita, Fran Kurniawan