|Born||February 3, 1955
Jabbalia Camp, Gaza
|Residence||Toronto, ON Canada|
|Education||University of Cairo MD
University of London OB/Gyn
Harvard School of Public Health MPH
|Title||Michael and Amira Dan Professor in Global Health|
Life and career
From 1997-2002 completed a residency in OB/Gyn at the Soroka University hospital in Beer Sheva, Israel, followed by a subspecialty in fetal medicine in Italy and Belgium; then a Master in Public health (Health Policy and Management) from Harvard University.
He has written a book named I Shall Not Hate.
He founded the "Daughters for Life Foundation" in memory of three of his daughters, who were killed by Israeli tank fire during the Gaza War. The organisation provides scholarship awards to encourage young women to pursue their studies at universities in Palestine, Israel, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt and Syria.
Dr. Abuelaish was the first Palestinian doctor to receive a staff position at an Israeli hospital, where he treated both Israeli and Palestinian patients. Immediately before the war he was a researcher at the Sheba Hospital in Tel Aviv and already an important figure in Israeli-Palestinian relations. The death of his children strengthened his resolve to promote reconciliation between Israelis and Palestinians. He is currently Associate Professor of Global Health at the University of Toronto.
In February 2013, he attended the Karachi Literature Festival in Pakistan where he narrated the events surrounding the death of his daughters killed in the Israeli airstrike. According to The Express Tribune, "there was hardly anyone in the audience who did not choke or wipe away a silent tear while listening to Palestinian doctor and author Izzeldin Abuelaish..."
Honours and Awards
- 2009 :Stavros Niarchos Prize for Survivorship 
- 2009: Search for Common Ground Award; Washington 
- 2009: Middle East Institute Award; Washington 
- 2009: Sakharov Human Rights Prize nominee 
- 2010: Uncommon Courage Award; Center for Ethnic, Racial and Religious Understanding at Queens College, NY, USA 
- 2010: Mahatma Gandhi Peace Award of Canada 
- Named one of the 500 Most Influential Muslims for two consecutive years 2009 and 2010 by the Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre
- 2011: Lombardy Region Peace Prize
- 2012: Calgary Peace Prize
- 2013: Member of the Order of Ontario
- Izzeldin Abuelaish (4 January 2011). I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey on the Road to Peace and Human Dignity. Bloomsbury Publishing USA. ISBN 978-0-8027-7917-5. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- Izzeldin Abuelaish. Bloomsbury Retrieved on 2011-01-18
- Izzeldin Abuelaish. Bloomsbury. Retrieved on 2011-01-18
- Palestinian Doctor's Peace Efforts Turn To Anguish. NPR. Retrieved on 2011-01-18
- "Gaza Doctor Izzeldin Abuelaish Two Years After Israeli Attack that Killed 3 Daughters & Niece: "As Long as I am Breathing, They are with Me. I Will Never Forget"". Democracy Now!. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- Gazan Doctor and Peace Advocate Loses 3 Daughters to Israeli Fire and Asks Why. The New York Times. Retrieved on 2011-01-18
- "Gaza: Life Without Borders." BBC News. Retrieved on 2011-01-19
- Izzeldin Abuelaish MD, MPH, Faculty Profile. University of Toronto - Dalla Lana School of Public Health. Retrieved on 2011-01-18
- "Man fights loss of three daughters in Israeli strike". The Express Tribune. 18 February 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- Niarchos. WorldNews. Retrieved on 2011-01-18
- The Common Ground Awards 2009. Search for Common Ground. Retrieved on 2011-01-18
- 2009 Annual Conference Banquet Award Acceptance. Middle East Institute. Retrieved on 2011-01-18
- 10 nominees for 2009 Sakharov human rights prize. European Parliament. Retrieved on 2011-01-18
- QUEENS COLLEGE CENTER FOR ETHNIC, RACIAL AND RELIGIOUS UNDERSTANDING HONORS THREE WITH ITS FIRST-EVER "UNCOMMON COURAGE AWARDS". Queens College. Retrieved on 2011-01-18
- PREMIER SELINGER AWARDS GANDI PEACE AWARD OF CANADA TO GAZAN DOCTOR ABUELAISH. WinnipegJewishReview.com. Retrieved on 2011-01-18
- "Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish, Faculty of Medicine | U of T News". News.utoronto.ca. 2012-01-17. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "Peace Prize | Peace Studies". Ucalgary.ca. 2013-03-02. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "25 Appointees Named to Ontario's Highest Honour". Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration.
- Izzeldin Abuelaish Two Years After Israeli Attack that Killed 3 Daughters & Niece - video report by Democracy Now!
- Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish - I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey on the Path to Peace and Human Dignity, book tour presentation at Powell's Books in Portland, Oregon, Jan. 18, 2011.