Jamie Bulloch is a British historian and translator of German literature. After studying Modern Languages at Bristol University, he obtained an MA in Central European History at the School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES), and followed up with a PhD in interwar Austrian history, in which he was supervised by Martyn Rady. He taught German language and Central European History at SSEES, UCL, King's College London and Warwick University, and has written a book on Karl Renner in the 'Makers of the Modern World' series.
Recent literary translations include Someday We'll Tell Each Other Everything by Daniela Krien (MacLehose Press), Four Meditations on Happiness by Michael Hampe (Atlantic Books), and The Mussel Feast by Birgit Vanderbeke (Peirene Press). His translation of Portrait of the Mother as a Young Woman was praised by the Times Literary Supplement. He and his wife Katharina Bielenberg have co-translated Daniel Glattauer's hit novel Love Virtually and its sequel Every Seventh Wave, both of which were adapted into radio plays starring David Tennant and Emilia Fox. He was runner-up in the 2014 Schlegel-Tieck Prize for his translation of Sea of Ink, while Mesmerized was long-listed for the 2014 IMPAC award,. The Mussel Feast was short-listed for the 2014 Independent Foreign Fiction Prize and earned a special commendation.
Jamie and Katharina live in London with their three daughters.
- Karl Renner: Austria (Haus Publishing, 2009)
- The Sweetness of Life, Paulus Hochgatterer (MacLehose Press, 2008)
- Ruth Maier's Diary, Ruth Maier (Harvill Secker, 2009)
- Englischer Fussball, Raphael Honigstein (Yellow Jersey Press, 2009)
- Portrait of the Mother as a Young Woman, F.C. Delius (Peirene Press, 2010)
- Love Virtually, Daniel Glattauer (MacLehose Press, 2011)∗
- The Mattress House, Paulus Hochgatterer (MacLehose Press, 2012)
- Mesmerized, Alissa Walser (MacLehose Press, 2012)
- Sea of Ink, Richard Weihe (Peirene Press, 2012)
- The Taste of Apple Seeds, Katharina Hagena (Atlantic Books, 2013)
- Every Seventh Wave, Daniel Glattauer (MacLehose Press, 2013)∗
- The Mussel Feast, Birgit Vanderbeke (Peirene Press, 2013)
- The Chef, Martin Suter (Atlantic Books, 2013)
- Someday We'll Tell Each Other Everything, Daniela Krien (MacLehose Press, 2013)
- Four Meditations on Happiness, Michael Hampe (Atlantic Books, 2014)
- Look Who's Back, Timur Vermes (MacLehose Press, 2014)
- ∗Jointly translated with Katharina Bielenberg
|This biography about a translator from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|