||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
January 17, 1947 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
Jane Elliot (born January 17, 1947) is an American actress, known for her role as Tracy Quartermaine, a role she has played on General Hospital (1978–80, 1989–93, 1996, 2003–present) and The City (1996–97).
Born in New York City, Elliot's first soap role was Linda Skerba in the short-lived A Flame in the Wind in 1965. She would later be known as Tracy Quartermaine, daughter of Edward Quartermaine and Lila Quartermaine (portrayed by David Lewis and Anna Lee, respectively) on General Hospital. Elliot debuted in 1978 and became a fan favorite. She left in 1980 and won a Daytime Emmy in 1981 for Best Supporting Actress. She moved to primetime and landed the role of Judy Trent on the CBS primetime series Knots Landing, a role she played from 1980-81.
Elliot's next role was on the CBS daytime soap opera, Guiding Light as Carrie Todd. Elliot was good friends with then head writer Douglas Marland, who promised her an excellent storyline when she joined in 1981. The role of Carrie was a complex one as she was secretly dealing with dissociative identity disorder. Marland had barely delved into her psychosis when Elliot's contract was abruptly terminated. However, Elliot thinks of Carrie as her favorite role in Daytime.
In 1987, at the request of producer Gail Kobe, Elliot read and was offered the role of Stephanie Forrester on The Bold and the Beautiful but lost the role to Susan Flannery who was cast at the request of creator Bill Bell.
Elliot's career has also extended beyond television appearances to include dramatic roles for film and Broadway, television production credits, and numerous commercial voiceovers. Notable film appearances, for example, include Change of Habit, Some Kind of Wonderful, and Baby Boom. She produced the daytime series Loving during its final eleven months (1994–95) and has provided voiceover talent for Dove soap commercials.
Elliot, who by her own admission maintains a very private life, was married to Luis Rojas, a cameraman she met on General Hospital, for eight years. They share a son, Adrian, together. Elliot also has a daughter named Annie Rose.
- 1981, Daytime Emmy Award, "Outstanding Actress in a Supporting Role in a Daytime Drama Series" for her work on General Hospital
- 1990, Soap Opera Digest Award, "Outstanding Villainess: Daytime", for Days of our Lives.
- 1992, Soap Opera Digest Award for "Outstanding Supporting Actress: Daytime", also for GH
Notable soap roles
- General Hospital and The City as Tracy Quartermaine (1978–81, 1989–93, 1996–97, 2003–present)
- Knots Landing as Judy Trent (1980–81)
- Guiding Light as Carrie Todd Marler (1981–82)
- All My Children as Cynthia Chandler Preston Cortlandt (1984–86)
- Days of our Lives as Anjelica Deveraux (1987–89)
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Jane Elliot|
- Unofficial Fansite
- Tracy Quartermaine profile from GH Online
- Carrie Todd profile from GL Online
- Anjelica Deveraux profile from DAYS Online