June 23, 1981 |
Johannes Taslim or Joe Taslim (born 23 June 1981) is a Chinese Indonesian actor, model, and martial artist. He became well known in the Indonesian action film The Raid: Redemption. He also became internationally recognized due to his villainous role in Fast & Furious 6, along with Hollywood stars such as Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson and Paul Walker.
Martial art and sport career
Taslim was born in Palembang, Indonesia, the son of Maria Goretty and Mardjuki Taslim. He was exposed to martial arts at an early age. His martial arts training includes Pencak Silat, Wushu, Judo, Taekwondo and Shotokan. However, he found his passion in Judo and this led to his career as a professional Judo athlete. He won several gold medals in national championships, a gold medal at the 1999 South East Asia Judo championships, and a silver medal at the 2007 ASEAN Games. Taslim was a member of Indonesia Judo national team from 1997 to 2009, when an injury forced him to retire.
Taslim is active as a model and actor, appearing in magazines, TV commercials, and several Indonesian feature films. In 2010, Taslim won the role of Jaka, a sergeant in a special police squad, in the award-winning The Raid: Redemption, after a series of impressive fight auditions and reading. Following The Raid, Taslim took part in HBO Asia's first action horror, Dead Mine, which had a theatrical release in selected Asian territories in September 2012, followed by exclusive television premieres across the HBO Asia network.
Taslim appeared in the 2013 feature film Fast & Furious 6, as the villainous Jah, a cold-blooded killer who uses his martial arts and parkour skills to fight 2 of the film's protagonists, Roman Pearce (Tyrese Gibson) and Han Seoul-Oh (Sung Kang).
In May 2013, it was reported that Taslim would star in The Night Comes for Us. In September 2014, pre-production on the film was halted and it was reported the script would instead become a graphic novel.
|2011||The Raid: Redemption||Sgt. Jaka|
|2013||Fast & Furious 6||Jah|
|2015||The Night Comes For Us|
- M2 Magazine, March 2012 edition (in Indonesian)
- M. Berlian (2012-01-15). "DA MAN Exclusive Fashion Feature: Joe Taslim of "The Raid"". DA MAN. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- Lisa Siregar (2011-12-27). "HBO Asia Film Is ‘Dead’ on Target". Jakarta Globe. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- Leow Si Wan (2012-01-06). "Dead Mine: Action-horror film is HBO Asia’s first original production". Yahoo. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- http://www.tribunnews.com/2012/08/03/film-dead-mine-dirilis-pertengahan-september (in Indonesian)
- Jeff Sneider (2012-07-27). "'Raid' actor joins 'Fast and Furious 6'". Variety.com. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Gareth Evans and XYZ Films Team Up for Bloody Thriller The Night Comes For Us".
- "Yayan Ruhian Sports A Ghastly Image On The Set Of COMIC 8: CASINO KINGS". Film Combat Syndicate.