John Coleman (news weathercaster)
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (July 2013)|
John Coleman, KUSI News Weathercaster
October 15, 1934
John Coleman (born October 15, 1934) is an American TV weatherman and co-founder of The Weather Channel. He has retired from broadcasting after nearly 61 years, working the last twenty at KUSI-TV in San Diego.
Coleman started his career in 1953 at WCIA in Champaign, Illinois, doing the early evening weather forecast and a local bandstand show called At The Hop while he was a student at University of Illinois. After receiving his journalism degree in 1957, he became the weather anchor for WCIA's sister station WMBD-TV in Peoria, Illinois. Coleman was also a weather anchor for KETV in Omaha, WISN-TV in Milwaukee and then WBBM-TV and WLS-TV in Chicago.
Coleman became the original weathercaster on what was then the brand-new ABC network morning program, Good Morning America. He stayed seven years with this top-rated program anchored by David Hartman and Joan Lunden.
In 1981, he persuaded communications entrepreneur Frank Batten to help establish The Weather Channel, serving as TWC's CEO and President during the start-up and its first year of operation. After being forced out of TWC, Coleman became weather anchor at WCBS-TV in New York and then at WMAQ-TV in Chicago, before moving to Southern California to join the independent television station, KUSI-TV in San Diego, in what Coleman fondly calls, "his retirement job." Coleman abruptly left KUSI while on vacation in April 2014, with no on-air farewell.
Views on global warming
Coleman says he became an "outspoken skeptic" of global warming in 2007 after watching NBC's 'Green is Universal' week, where the studio lights were cut for portions of Sunday Night Football's pre-game and half-time shows.
Coleman was born in 1934 in Alpine, Texas, the fifth child of a college professor and his math teacher wife, Claude and Hazel Coleman. He is married to Linda Coleman, and lives in a retirement community in the San Diego neighborhood of Rancho Bernardo.
- "John Coleman". KUSI-TV. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Weather Channel Founder: Global Warming a 'Scam'". WAGT-TV. Archived from the original on August 10, 2007. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Speaker: John Coleman, Weathercaster on KUSI TV in San Diego". APWA San Diego/Imperial Chapter. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Homans, Charles (January 7, 2010). "Hot Air". Columbia Journalism Review. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Taylor, Jason. "express news". Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Weather Channel boss calls global warming 'the greatest scam in history'". The Daily Telegraph. November 9, 2007. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Why does anyone pay attention to John Coleman, Weather Channel co-founder, on climate change?" Washington Post
- "AMS Awards". American Meteorological Society. Archived from the original on March 27, 2012. Retrieved March 20, 2014.