Education and career
John Guttag received a bachelor's degree in English from Brown University in 1971, and a master's degree in Applied Mathematics from Brown in 1972. In 1975, he received a doctorate in Computer Science from the University of Toronto. He was a member of the faculty at the University of Southern California from 1975 to 1978, and joined the Massachusetts Institute of Technology faculty in 1979.
From 1993 to 1998, he served as Associate Department Head for Computer Science of MIT's Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department. From January 1999 through August 2004, he served as Head of that department. EECS, with approximately 2000 students and 125 faculty members, is the largest department at MIT.
Guttag also co-heads the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory's Networks and Mobile Systems Group. This group studies issues related to computer networks, applications of networked and mobile systems, and advanced software-based medical instrumentation and decision systems. He has also done research, published, and lectured in the areas of software engineering, mechanical theorem proving, hardware verification, compilation, software radios, and medical computing.
Guttag currently serves on the technical advisory board of Vanu, Inc., on the Board of Directors of Empirix and Avid Technologies, and on the Board of Trustees of the Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions. He is also a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. In 2006 he was inducted as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery.
John Guttag was raised in Larchmont, New York.
- Syed, Z.; Leeds, D.; Curtis, D.; Guttag, J.; Nesta, F.; Levine, R. A. (2006). "Audio-Visual Tools for Computer-Assisted Diagnosis of Cardiac Disorders". 19th IEEE Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems (CBMS'06). pp. 207–212. doi:10.1109/CBMS.2006.50.
- Shoeb, A.; Edwards, H.; Connolly, J.; Bourgeois, B.; Treves, T.; Guttag, J. (2004). "Patient-specific seizure onset detection". The 26th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society 1. pp. 419–422. doi:10.1109/IEMBS.2004.1403183. ISBN 0-7803-8439-3.
- Liskov, Barbara; Guttag, John V. (2000). Program Development in Java: Abstraction, Specification, and Object-oriented Design. Addison-Wesley. ISBN 0-201-65768-6.
- Garland, S. J.; Jones, K. D.; Modet, A.; Wing, J. M. (1993). Guttag, J. V.; Horning, J. J., eds. Larch: Languages and Tools for Formal Specification. Springer-Verlag. doi:10.1007/978-1-4612-2704-5. ISBN 978-1-4612-7636-4.
- Guttag, J. (June 1977). "Abstract data types and the development of data structures". Comm. ACM 20 (6): 396–404. doi:10.1145/359605.359618.