||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
|Born||Jeannette Marie Wing|
|Institutions||Carnegie Mellon University|
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Thesis||A Two-Tiered Approach to Specifying Programs (1983)|
|Doctoral advisor||John Guttag|
Jeannette Marie Wing is the President's Professor of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. She also served as assistant director for Computer and Information Science and Engineering at the NSF from 2007 to 2010.
Education and career
She earned her S.B. and S.M. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at MIT in June 1979. Her advisers were Ronald Rivest and John Reiser. In 1983, she earned her Ph.D. in Computer Science at MIT under John Guttag. She was on the faculty of the University of Southern California from 1982 to 1985 and has been on the faculty of Carnegie Mellon ever since. She served as the head of the Computer Science Department from 2004 to 2007 and from 2010 to 2012.
She has also been a strong promoter of computational thinking, expressing the algorithmic problem solving and abstraction techniques used by computer scientists, and how these ideas might be applicable to other disciplines. 
She is on the editorial board of the following journals:
- Journal of the ACM,
- Formal Aspects of Computing (North American Editor),
- Formal Methods in System Design,
- International Journal of Software and Informatics,
- Journal of Information Science and Engineering,
- Software Tools for Technology Transfer.
On November 20, 2012, Microsoft announced that Wing had been named Vice President, Head of Microsoft Research International.
- Wing, Jeannette M; Woodcock, Jim; Davies, Jim, eds. (1999). FM'99 — Formal Methods: World Congress on Formal Methods in the Development of Computing Systems Toulouse, France, September 20–24, 1999 Proceedings, Volume I. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1708. Springer-Verlag. doi:10.1007/3-540-48119-2. ISBN 978-3-540-66587-8.
- Wing, Jeannette M; Woodcock, Jim; Davies, Jim, eds. (1999). FM'99 — Formal Methods: World Congress on Formal Methods in the Development of Computing Systems Toulouse, France, September 20–24, 1999 Proceedings, Volume II. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1709. Springer-Verlag. doi:10.1007/3-540-48118-4. ISBN 978-3-540-66588-5.
- Martin, U.; Wing, J. M., eds. (1993). Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Larch. Workshops in Computing. Springer-Verlag. ISBN 3-540-19804-0.
- Garland, S. J.; Jones, K. D.; Modet, A.; Wing, J. M. (1993). Guttag, J. V.; Horning, J. J., eds. Larch: Languages and Tools for Formal Specification. Springer-Verlag. doi:10.1007/978-1-4612-2704-5. ISBN 978-1-4612-7636-4.
- Jeannette M. Wing home page
- List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server
- Aaronson, Lauren, Q&A With: Jeannette Wing
- Jon Udell's Interviews with Innovators - Dr. Jeannette Wing
|This article about an American scientist in academia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|