John Manners, 5th Duke of Rutland
The Duke of Rutland
|The Duke of Rutland.|
|Lord-Lieutenant of Leicestershire|
|Preceded by||The Duke of Beaufort|
|Succeeded by||The Duke of Rutland|
|Born||4 January 1778
|Died||20 January 1857
Belvoir Castle, Leicestershire
|Spouse(s)||Lady Elizabeth Howard
John Henry Manners, 5th Duke of Rutland KG (4 January 1778 – 20 January 1857), styled Lord Roos from 1778 until 1779 and Marquess of Granby from 1779 until 1787, was a British landowner and owner and breeder of Thoroughbred racehorses.
Styled Lord Roos from birth, he was born at Knightsbridge, London, the eldest son of Charles Manners, 4th Duke of Rutland, by Lady Mary Isabella Somerset, daughter of Charles Somerset, 4th Duke of Beaufort. He was the grandson of John Manners, Marquess of Granby, and the brother of Lord Charles Manners and Lord Robert Manners. He became known as the Marquess of Granby when his father succeeded in the dukedom in 1779. In 1787 he himself succeeded in the dukedom on the death of his father.
Rutland was Lord Lieutenant of Leicestershire between 1799 and 1857. He was also a prominent owner and breeder of Thoroughbred racehorses. His most successful horse was Cadland, which won the Epsom Derby in 1828.
Rutland married Lady Elizabeth Howard, daughter of Frederick Howard, 5th Earl of Carlisle, on 22 April 1799. They had ten children:
- Lady Caroline Isabella Manners (25 May 1800 – December 1804)
- Lady Elizabeth Frederica Manners (10 December 1801 – 20 March 1886), married Andrew Robert Drummond and had issue.
- Lady Emmeline Charlotte Elizabeth Manners (2 May 1806 – 29 October 1855), married Hon. Charles Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie.
- George John Henry Manners, Marquess of Granby (26 June 1807 – 4 August 1807)
- Lady Katherine Isabella Manners (4 February 1809 – 20 April 1848), married Frederick Hervey, 2nd Marquess of Bristol and had issue.
- Lady Adeliza Elizabeth Gertrude Manners (29 December 1810 – 26 October 1877), married Reverend F. J. Norman, her first cousin, and had issue.
- George John Frederick Manners, Marquess of Granby (20 August 1813 – 15 June 1814)
- Charles Cecil John Manners, 6th Duke of Rutland (1815–1888)
- John James Robert Manners, 7th Duke of Rutland (1818–1906)
- Lord George John Manners (22 June 1820 – 8 September 1874), married Adeliza Fitzalan-Howard, daughter of Henry Fitzalan-Howard, 13th Duke of Norfolk and had issue.
Media related to John Manners, 5th Duke of Rutland at Wikimedia Commons
The Duke of Beaufort
|Lord Lieutenant of Leicestershire
The Duke of Rutland
|Peerage of England|
|Duke of Rutland
|This biography of a duke or duchess in the peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|