Johnny Dixon (series)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Johnny Dixon is a fictional character who appears in a series of children's gothic horror novels by John Bellairs. In each book, Johnny and his group of friends face and overcome various evil forces usually bent on ending the world.
- 1 Novels in Johnny Dixon Series
- 1.1 The Curse of the Blue Figurine (1983)
- 1.2 The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt (1983)
- 1.3 The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull (1984)
- 1.4 The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost (1985)
- 1.5 The Eyes of the Killer Robot (1986)
- 1.6 The Trolley to Yesterday (1989)
- 1.7 The Chessmen of Doom (1989)
- 1.8 The Secret of the Underground Room (1990)
- 1.9 The Drum, the Doll, and the Zombie (1994)
- 1.10 The Hand of the Necromancer (1996)
- 1.11 The Bell, the Book, and the Spellbinder (1997)
- 1.12 The Wrath of the Grinning Ghost (1999)
- 2 Novel Series Bibliography
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Novels in Johnny Dixon Series
- Dedication: "To Gerry, who knows about ushabtis."
- Johnny Dixon is plunged into a terrifying mystery-adventure when he removes a blue figurine called an ushabi from church.
- Dedication: "For Candice, a fellow writer and a good friend."
- Twelve-year-old Johnny Dixon and his friend Professor Childermass look for the hidden will left by an eccentric cereal tycoon who wished to make life difficult for his heirs after his own death by suicide.
- No dedication
- When Johnny Dixon takes a tiny skull from a haunted dollhouse, demonic forces are unleashed, capturing Professor Childermass and leading Johnny on a harrowing chase to a deserted island off the coast of Maine.
- Dedication: "In memory of my grandfather John Monk."
- While thirteen-year-old Johnny Dixon lies dying, possessed by an evil spirit, his friends, an elderly professor and a schoolmate, try to find some way to free him.
- No dedication
- Thirteen-year-old Johnny Dixon is put in jeopardy when he and Professor Childermass try to find a robot made many years ago by an evil wizard named Evaristus Sloan.
- Dedication: "For Richard, Beth, and Toby. -- Nobody succeeds without help."
- Johnny Dixon and Professor Childermass discover a trolley, which transports them back to Constantinople in 1453 as the Turks are invading the Byzantine Empire.
- No dedication
- Johnny Dixon, Fergie, and Professor Childermass comply with a strange will left by the professor’s brother, which requires them to spend the summer at a desolate estate where they encounter a madman bent on destroying the world.
- Dedication: "To Lyla, a good friend in a difficult time."
- When Father Higgins disappears, Johnny Dixon and Professor Childermass discover disturbing clues which lead them to England and an encounter with a long-dead knight.
- Dedication: "Thanks to Jeanne Sharp, reader and advisor. Thanks to those who helped: Gregory Nicoll, Steve Neshiem, Wendy Webb."
- When thirteen-year-old Johnny Dixon and his friend Professor Childermass try to save the life of the elderly Dr. Coote, they find themselves facing the forces of a menacing voodoo cult.
- Dedication: "In memory of Fred Johnson, a wonderful teacher, a wonderful friend."
- Thirteen-year-old Johnny Dixon and his friend Professor Childermass battle an evil wizard for possession of a bewitched hand that can be used to rule the world.
- Dedication: "For Jonathan Abucejo and Steve Ericson, defenders of the faith."
- When Fergie falls under the spell of an evil sorcerer, Johnny Dixon and Professor Childermass risk their own lives to save him.
- Dedication: "For Phyllis Fogelman."
- When a malevolent creature tries to claim his father as its latest victim, thirteen-year-old Johnny Dixon and Professor Childermass brave the netherworld itself to save him.
Novel Series Bibliography
|#||Title||Month||Year||# Chapter||# Page||Author||Illustrator|
|01||The Curse of the Blue Figurine||May||1983||12||200||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|02||The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt||Nov||1983||16||168||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|03||The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull||Nov||1984||11||170||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|04||The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost||Nov||1985||15||147||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|05||The Eyes of the Killer Robot||Oct||1986||17||167||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|06||The Trolley to Yesterday||Jul||1989||18||183||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|07||The Chessmen of Doom||Nov||1989||16||155||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|08||The Secret of the Underground Room||Mar||1990||13||127||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|09||The Drum, the Doll, and the Zombie||Sep||1994||15||153||Co-Authored||Edward Gorey|
|10||The Hand of the Necromancer||Sep||1996||18||168||Brad Strickland||Edward Gorey|
|11||The Bell, the Book, and the Spellbinder||Oct||1997||16||149||Brad Strickland||Edward Gorey|
|12||The Wrath of the Grinning Ghost||Sep||1999||15||166||Brad Strickland||Edward Gorey|
- Bell, Bob: "Bellairs' Book Fast-Paced Thriller", Edmonton Journal, November 12, 1986
- "BookPicks: Kids' Books", Herald-Journal, May 12, 2004
- Clendineng, Sarah: "What's Happening @ Your Library: Halloween Reads", Fort Madison Daily Democrat, October 24, 2007
- Bellairs, John. The Curse of the Blue Figurine. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1983. ISBN 0803712650
- Bellairs, John. The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1983. ISBN 0803700296
- Bellairs, John. The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1984. ISBN 0803701209
- Bellairs, John. The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1985. ISBN 0803701705
- Bellairs, John. The Eyes of the Killer Robot. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1986. ISBN 0803703244
- Bellairs, John. The Trolley to Yesterday. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1989. ISBN 0803705816
- Bellairs, John. The Chessmen of Doom. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1989. ISBN 0803707509
- Bellairs, John. The Secret of the Underground Room. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1990. ISBN 0803708645
- Bellairs, John. Completed by Brad Strickland. The Drum, the Doll, and the Zombie. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1994. ISBN 0803714629
- Strickland, Brad. The Hand of the Necromancer. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1996. ISBN 0803718292
- Strickland, Brad. The Bell, the Book, and the Spellbinder. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1997. ISBN 0803718314
- Strickland, Brad. The Wrath of the Grinning Ghost. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1999. ISBN 0803722222