Johnny Harris (actor)
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013)|
November 3, 1973 |
Lambeth, London, England, UK
Johnny Harris (born 1973) is an English actor. He is best known for his roles in Snow White and the Huntsman, Welcome to the Punch, London to Brighton, and Shane Meadows cult television series This Is England '86 and This Is England '88.
Johnny Harris was born in Lambeth, London.
Harris started his career on the stage in London's fringe theatre scene before bursting onto our cinema screens with a leading role in the feature film London to Brighton. Despite being made on a tiny budget, the film went on to be voted into Time Out magazine's '100 Greatest British Movies Of All Time' and is now widely regarded as a cult classic with noteworthy actors and directors regarding Johnny's performance as "outstanding" and "astonishing."
In an interview in The Independent on Sunday at the time of the film's release, celebrated British director Shane Meadows said of Harris' performance in the film: "It's an incredibly bold and massively powerful performance, the best I've seen on celluloid for a long time."
Four years later, Harris’ breakthrough role came when Meadows cast him in This Is England '86 and his portrayal of Lol's abusive father in the show saw him receive both BAFTA and The Royal Television Society Award nominations for his performance. The following year he reprised the chilling role of Mick in This Is England '88 with the show winning the BAFTA TV Award for ‘Best Mini-Series’.
In 2012 he was back in cinemas in Universal Pictures smash hit film Snow White and the Huntsman starring Kristen Stewart and Charlize Theron. He played one of the eight dwarves alongside the late Bob Hoskins, Ray Winstone, Ian McShane, Nick Frost, Toby Jones, Eddie Marsan, and Brian Gleeson.
Another feature film soon followed and Harris was seen in the brilliant Welcome to the Punch with James McAvoy, Mark Strong, Peter Mullan and Andrea Riseborough which went on international release in 2013.
Nev Pierce, Editor of Empire Magazine, has described Johnny as "An heir to Oldman, in terms of being able to be both sensitive and scary, indelible and real.”
The Independent described Harris as “One of Britain’s finest actors”.
Johnny is starring in the new "Sky Atlantic" 12 part drama Fortitude alongside Sir Michael Gambon, Stanley Tucci, and Christopher Eccleston. The show was shot on location in Iceland and London and is due to air exclusively on the channel on both sides of the atlantic in January 2015.
In February 2015, we'll see Johnny in his first starring role in a big feature film in the eagerly anticipated, Monsters: Dark Continent. He is to play U.S. Platoon Sergeant ‘Noah Frater’ in the follow-up to Monsters, Gareth Edwards international hit film of 2010.
- Monsters: Dark Continent (2014)
- The Last Days on Mars (2013)
- Welcome to the Punch (2013)
- Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)
- Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movie (2010)
- Black Death (2010)
- Huge (2010)
- Dorian Gray (2009)
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)
- RocknRolla (2008)
- Daylight Robbery (2008)
- The Cottage (2008)
- Atonement (2007)
- London to Brighton (2006)
- Gangster No. 1 (2000)
Select TV work
- Fortitude (2014)
- This Is England '88 (2011) - Winner BAFTA Television Award for Best Mini-Series
- The Fades (2011) - Winner BAFTA Television Award for Best Drama Series
- Home (2011)
- This Is England '86 (2010) - Nominated BAFTA Television Award for Best Supporting Actor
- Law & Order: UK (2010)
- The Passion (2008)
- Clapham Junction (2007)
- HolbyBlue (2007)
- EastEnders (2005)
- The Bill (2002)
- Holby City (2000)
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Johnny Harris (actor)|
- http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jason-holmes/johnny-harris-an-actor-with-rare-depth-character_b_2242467.html – Interview with BAFTA nominated actor Johnny Harris.
- http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/streetfighting-man-still-packs-a-real-punch-2374939.html The Independent meets actor Johnny Harris
- http://www.moviescopemag.com/features/actor-johnny-harris-the-power-of-hindsight/ – Moviescope 'Cannes edition' piece on actor Johnny Harris.
- http://www.bigissue.com/features/interviews/1588/johnny-harris-we-were-real-unit-we-formed-real-bond – 'The Big Issue' interviews Johnny Harris.
- http://www.gojicollective.co.uk/entertainment/packing-punch-award-winning-actor-johnny-harris-speaks-goji – Goji Collective article on actor Johnny Harris.
- http://myfilms2010.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/interview-with-johnny-harris.html Interview with Johnny Harris.
- Living Proof Films Blog; This Is England ’86 – Johnny Harris talks about playing the role of Mick. 8 October 2010.
- Johnny Harris at the Internet Movie Database