Judith L. French
|Judith L. French|
|Ohio Supreme Court Associate Justice|
January 1, 2013
|Appointed by||John Kasich|
|Preceded by||Evelyn Lundberg Stratton|
|Ohio Tenth District Court of Appeals|
September, 2004 – December 2012
|Appointed by||Bob Taft|
|Preceded by||Michael H. Watson|
|Born||1962 (age 51–52)
|Residence||Grandview Heights, Ohio|
Judith L. French is an American jurist. She was appointed to the Ohio Supreme Court by Ohio Governor John Kasich, to replace Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, resigned, effective January 1, 2013. A graduate of The Ohio State University, she has been a judge of the Ohio Tenth District Court of Appeals.
Judith L. French graduated from Ohio State University in 1984 with a Bachelor's Degree in Political Science. In 1988 she earned a Master's Degree in History (Military History & Stragegic Studies) from the same university, and Juris Doctor, cum laude, from Moritz College of Law.
- French was an Associate for Porter, Wright, Morris & Arthur from 1988 to 1992 and was Associate Counsel to Steelcase in Grand Rapids, Michigan from 1992 to 1993.
- In 1993 French became Deputy Director for Legal Affairs at the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency. She managed a 25-attorney office.
- In 1997 French became Section Chief, and later Chief Counsel for Ohio Attorney General Betty Montgomery. She argued the state's case before the United States Supreme Court in Whitman v. American Trucking Associations, Inc. (2001), and Zelman v. Simmons-Harris (2002), a landmark case, where the court upheld the constitutionality of a school voucher system in Cleveland, Ohio by 5-4.
- From 2002 to 2004, French was Chief Legal Counsel to Governor Bob Taft.
- In late September, 2004, Taft appointed French to a seat on the Ohio Tenth District Court of Appeals vacated when Michael H. Watson was appointed to the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio. She won election to a six year terms in November, 2004, and again in November 2010.
In May, 2012, Ohio Supreme Court Associate Justice Evelyn Lundberg Stratton announced she would retire at the end of 2012. On December 20, 2012, Ohio Governor John Kasich appointed French to Stratton's unexpired term, which runs through January 1, 2015, effective January 1, 2013. No replacement was announced that day for French on the appeals court.
Judith L. French is a Republican, and 50 years old at the time of her appointment. She is a resident of Grandview Heights, Ohio, and is a native of Sebring, Ohio. She is married to Franklin County Common Pleas Magistrate Ed Skeens, and has two children.
- "Judge Judith L. French". Governor John R. Kasich Communication Department. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- "Judith French". Judgepedia. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- "Judith L. French". Ohio Tenth District Court of Appeals. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- Fields, Reginald (2012-05-22). "Ohio Supreme Court Justice Evelyn Lundberg Stratton to retire midway through term". Cleveland.com. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- Vardon, Joe (2012-12-20). "Kasich Names French to Supreme Court". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- Froman, Alan (2012-12-20). "Kasich appoints Grandview's French to Ohio Supreme Court". This Week Community News. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- "Judith L. French '88 Elected to 10th District Court of Appeals". Moritz College of Law. November 2004. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- "Sebring Native Tapped for Ohio Supreme Court". WKBN 27 First News. 2012-12-20. Retrieved 1012-12-28.
- "Justice Judith L. French". The Supreme Court of Ohio and the Ohio Judicial System. Retrieved 2013-06-25.