Just Dance (video game)
North American box art
T: Just Dance
N: Just Dance 2
|Release date(s)||NA November 17, 2009
AUS November 26, 2009
EU November 27, 2009
|Mode(s)||Single player, multiplayer|
|Distribution||Wii Optical Disc|
Just Dance is a rhythm game developed and published by Ubisoft for the Wii, and it is the first in the video game series of the same name. It was released on November 17, 2009 in North America, November 26, 2009 in Australia, and November 27, 2009 in Europe. The title is derived from the 2008 Lady Gaga song of the same name. In Just Dance, players use only the standard Wii Remote and attempt to mimic all the moves of the on-screen silhouette dancer. Players earn points depending on what moves they perform and how well they perform them. A sequel, Just Dance 2, was released in October 2010.
The game has three gameplay modes: the normal mode, in which players pick any track and attempt to dance with the on-screen dancer; a "Last One Standing" mode, in which players are eliminated if they don't score enough points or make too many mistakes; and a "Strike a Pose" mode, in which players start and stop dancing as dictated by the on-screen dancer. There is also a "Practice" mode, in which players may dance to tracks without keeping score.
The game includes 32 music tracks. All songs are Solo.
|"Acceptable in the 80s" (X-3D)/(G)||Calvin Harris||3 (2)||3 (2)||2007||♀||No|
|"Can't Get You Out of My Head" (JN)||Kylie Minogue||2||1||2001||♀||No|
|"Eye of the Tiger" (G)/(JN)||Survivor||1||3 (2)||1982||♀||Yes|
|"Fame"*/(3D)/(G)/(DOB)||(In the style of Irene Cara)||1||3||1980||♀||No|
|"Funplex" (CSS Remix) (X-3D)||The B-52's||2||2||2008||♀||Yes|
|"Girls & Boys"||Blur||2||2||1994||♀||No|
|"Girls Just Want to Have Fun"||Cyndi Lauper||1||2||1983||♀||No|
|"Groove Is in the Heart"||Deee-Lite||3||2||1990||♀||Yes|
|"Heart of Glass" (X-3D)/(JN)||Blondie||2||1||1979||♀||No|
|"Hot N Cold" (Chick Version)(G)/(JN)||Katy Perry||1||3 (1)||2008||♀||No|
|"I Get Around"||The Beach Boys||2||1||1966||♂||No|
|"I Like to Move It (Radio Mix)" (3D)/(G)/(SD)/(K2014)||Reel 2 Real feat. The Mad Stuntman||2||2||1993||♀||No|
|"Jerk It Out"||Caesars||3||3||2003||♂||No|
|"Jin-Go-Lo-Ba" (X-3D)/(G)||Fatboy Slim||3 (2)||2||2004||♀||Yes|
|"Kids in America" (3D)/(K)||Kim Wilde||2||2||1981||♀||No|
|"A Little Less Conversation"||Elvis Presley vs. JXL||2||2||1968||♂||No|
|"Louie Louie" (X-3D)||Iggy Pop||1||3 (2)||1993||♂||Yes|
|"Lump"||The Presidents of the United States of America||1||3||1995||♂||Yes|
|"Mashed Potato Time" (X-3D)||Dee Dee Sharp||1||1||1962||♀||No|
|"Pump Up the Jam"||Technotronic||2||3||1989||♂||No|
|"Ring My Bell" (G)||Anita Ward||2||1||1979||♀||No|
|"Step by Step" (X-3D)/(G)/(JN)||New Kids on the Block||2||2||1990||♂||No|
|"Surfin' Bird"||The Trashmen||1||3||1963||♂||Yes|
|"That's the Way (I Like It)" (3D)/(JN)||KC and the Sunshine Band||3 (2)||1||1975||♂||No|
|"U Can't Touch This" (3D)/(G)/(J)||MC Hammer||2||3||1990||♂||No|
|"Wannabe" (J)||Spice Girls||1||2 (1)||1996||♀||No|
|"Who Let the Dogs Out?" (3D)/(G)/(K)/(SD)/(JN)||Baha Men||3 (2)||2||2000||♂||Yes|
|"Womanizer"*||Britney Spears (The Gym All-Stars)||2||1||2008||♀||No|
- A "*" indicates that the song is a cover version, not the original.
- A "(3D)" indicates that the song is also a DLC on Just Dance 3.
- An "(X-3D)" indicates that the song is also a DLC on Just Dance 3 for the Xbox 360 only.
- A "(K)" indicates that the song is also on Just Dance Kids.
- A "(K2014)" indicates that the song is also on Just Dance Kids 2014.
- A "(DOB)" indicates that the song is also on Dance on Broadway.
- An "(SD)" indicates that the song is also on The Smurfs Dance Party.
- A "(J)" indicates that the song is also on Just Dance Wii.
- A "(G)" indicates that the song is also on Just Dance: Best Of/Just Dance: Greatest Hits.
- A "()" with numbers in them in the difficulties and/or efforts indicates that they changed difficulty or sweat in future Just Dances.
- A "(JN)" indicates that the song is also on Just Dance Now.
- "()" brackets indicates the cover artist of song.
Note: On Just Dance Wii, "U Can't Touch This" has a difficulty and effort of 1, but it's 2 and 3 on Just Dance 3 and Just Dance: Best Of/Greatest Hits. Hot N' Cold, Can't Get You Out of my head, and Eye Of The Tiger was Found on Just Dance Now Files, but, it was unreleased.
Just Dance received mixed to neutral reviews from critics, with an average rating of 49/100 on review aggregator website Metacritic. The game was criticized for having no unlockable features, songs, or dancers and no progression. The controls and grading system have been criticized as "sloppy", with the detection of player movements being substandard.
However, in terms of sales, Just Dance performed strongly, becoming Ubisoft's most successful Wii release ever. Despite the poor critical reception, the game was the fastest selling third-party Wii game ever, selling two million in its first four months. Ubisoft described the sales performance as "overwhelming". As of December 2010[update], Just Dance had sold 4.3 million worldwide, making it the second-highest selling Wii game from a third-party publisher behind Ubisoft's sequel, Just Dance 2.
- "Just Dance for Wii". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- Dumlao, Brian (2009-12-27). "Wii Review – 'Just Dance'". Worthplaying. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- Bishop, Sam (2009-12-03). "Just Dance Review". IGN. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- "Just Dance for Wii Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More". Metacritic. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- Just Dance moves to the beat of two million sold worldwide - Joystiq, 31 Mar 2010. "We've said it before and we'll say it again: we just don't get it. Somehow, Ubisoft's Just Dance has managed to become a full-fledged phenomenon."
- Just Dance shatters Wii records for Ubi - MCV, 18 Jan 2010
- Ubisoft's critically panned rhythm game is a commercial hit, going double-platinum in four months - Gamespot, 1 Apr 2010
- 'Just Dance' breaks Wii sales record - Digital Spy, 5 Apr 2010
- Just Dance sells 2m, breaks sales records
- Just Dance sales explode, sells 4.3 million worldwide on Wii