|Birth name||Kimberly Michelle Pate|
|Born||March 4, 1984|
|Origin||Memphis, Tennessee, United States|
|Genres||R&B, hip hop soul, soul|
|Occupations||Singer-songwriter, pianist, guitarist|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, piano|
Kimberly Michelle Pate (born March 4, 1984), better known by her stage name K. Michelle, is an American R&B recording artist, pianist, guitarist and songwriter. She was noted in 2009 when she was signed to Jive Records and released the R&B charting single "Fakin' It" (featuring Missy Elliott). She later went on to release three follow-up R&B charting singles: "Fallin'", "I Just Can't Do This", and "How Many Times" before leaving Jive Records. In the summer of 2012, K. Michelle garnered further attention by appearing in the VH1 reality series Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta. Following her appearance on the show, she landed a contract deal with Atlantic Records. She released her long-delayed debut album Rebellious Soul on August 13, 2013. The album saw commercial success, debuting at number two on the Billboard 200 and number one on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart.
As a child, K. Michelle learned to play piano and guitar, and took voice lessons from Bob Westbrook, who also trained pop singers Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears. She earned a music scholarship to Florida A&M University by yodeling at her audition. She was crowned Miss Freshman Attendant for the 2000-2001 school year at age 18 and Miss FAMU for the 2003-2004 school year.
Originally a Biology major, K. Michelle graduated with a degree in Psychology and a minor in Music in 2004. She is also a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. having pledged FAMU's Beta Alpha chapter as an undergraduate.
2009–11: Career beginnings
K. Michelle's career began when she signed to Jive Records in 2009 and released the buzz single "Fakin' It" in 2009 in hopes of garnering attention from the public eye. The Missy Elliott-assisted single went on to attain slight attention (#100 Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs) from the urban audience for its sexual lyrics. In 2010, following the buzz single's release, K. Michelle went on to release three follow-up singles: "Fallin", "I Just Can't Do This" and "How Many Times"; which respectively charted at numbers 56, 53, and 53 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart before being bought out of her label contract by Jive Records in October 2011. Prior to her departure from Jive Records, K. Michelle was in the process of recording her debut album, Pain Medicine that was slated to feature collaborations from the likes of R. Kelly, Trina, Usher, and Gucci Mane. Akon and Missy Elliott. However, the album was scrapped due to her departure from Jive Records.
2012–present: Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta, Love & Hip Hop: New York, and Rebellious Soul
In 2012, K. Michelle joined the cast on season one of VH1's reality TV show Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta. During its run, K. Michelle announced she would be leaving the show after the second season to move to New York to join Love & Hip Hop: New York and focus more on her music career.
Following her appearance on the reality series, K. Michelle signed a deal with Atlantic Records and has since then confirmed that her debut album would likely be released sometime in 2013. On April 22, 2013, K. Michelle released a promotional single and accompanying music video called "I Just Wanna" via iTunes and YouTube.
In May 2013, she released the lead single from Rebellious Soul called "V.S.O.P.". The song peaked at number 89 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and at number 27 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. The album Rebellious Soul was released on August 13, 2013 and debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 chart and number one on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart selling 72,000 copies in its first week.
On November 4, 2013, she headlined her first tour, The “Rebellious Soul” Tour presented by BET Music Matters. The 19 city tour kicked off in San Francisco and ended December 3, 2013 in Boston. It included stops in Los Angeles, Houston, Chicago, and Atlanta. Opening acts featured Chris Brown protégé Sevyn Streeter and Tiara Thomas.
On January 14, 2014, she released "Can't Raise A Man", the second single from her debut studio album Rebellious Soul. It peaked at number 94 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and 23 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.
She released her mixtape project titled Still No Fucks Given on February 14, 2014.
On March 5, 2014, VH1 announced that K. Michelle would star in her own spin-off to Love & Hip Hop. "My Life", (The Name Of The Show), chronicles the singer's life after Love & Hip Hop as well as her music career, family, and friends. It is set to premiere on November 3rd, 2014.
- Rebellious Soul (2013)
- Rebellious Soul Tour (2013)
- Blurred Lines Tour (supporting Robin Thicke) (2014)
Awards and nominations
|2012-13||Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta||Herself|
|2013-14||Love & Hip Hop||Herself|
|TBA||K In The City||Herself|
- K. Michelle at The Breakfast Club. Interview with Charlamagne Tha God, DJ Envy, and Angela Yee. November 20, 2012. The Breakfast Club. WWPR. New York City, New York.
- The rattler, University of Florida.
- Muhammad, Latifah (April 18, 2013), Jones Michelle Confirms She's Leaving Love & Hip Hop Atlanta, BET Music News.
- K. Michelle Talks "Rebellious Soul", Winning Once She Stopped Caring, YouKnowIGotSoul February 1, 2013. Retrieved September 15, 2013.
- "K. Michelle Chart History (Peak Dates)". Billboard. Retrieved September 15, 2012.
- News | K. Michelle's Rebellious Soul Album Sales Lead To Impressive Debut. Singersroom (August 21, 2013). Retrieved on March 2, 2014.
- The Viper 2000-2001, Florida A&M University. Archived at the University of Florida.
- The Famuan
- K. Michelle. billboard.com
- "K. Michelle: "I’m the Happiest I've Been in My Career"". bet.com. August 2, 2011. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- Canada, Danielle (July 1, 2011). "K. Michelle Says "Fawk Jive Records", Talks R. Kelly Mentorship, Crush On Lupe Fiasco". hiphopwired.com. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "Love & Hip Hop Atlanta » Cast › K.Michelle". vh1.com. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "K. Michelle Signs Major Record Deal With Warner Bros, Talks Being Blessed". Singersroom. November 19, 2012. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- K. Michelle – Still No Fucks Given – K. Michelle. Orangemixtapes.com. Retrieved on March 2, 2014.
- Rose, Lacey (March 5, 2014). "VH1 Unveils New Slate: Rappers, DNA Testing and Walks of Shame". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 5, 2014.