||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (September 2014)|
|Born||Kara Janét Edwards
February 17, 1977
|Other names||Janét Mason|
|Occupation||Voice actress, radio personality|
|Spouse(s)||Chris Suchan (Divorced)|
Kara Janét Edwards (born February 17, 1977 in Lubbock, Texas) is an American radio personality, and voice actress at Funimation/OkraTron 5000. She provided voices for a number of English versions of Japanese anime series and video games. She is also well-known in the Charlotte, North Carolina area for her past career as a radio host.
Kara began her broadcast career with a job at Radio Disney out of Dallas, Texas the fall after she graduated from high school. She interned for eight months before landing the more permanent jobs of writer, producer, voice actress and children's voice director. In July 1997, she became co-host of the "Squeege and Kara Show" on syndicated Radio Disney with friend and fellow voice actor Kyle Hebert. She did voice-over work in commercials for companies like Blockbuster Entertainment, Levi's Jeans and Clinique cosmetics, as well as a variety of regional ads. During the latter part of her Radio Disney tenure, Kara started working for Funimation Studios as a freelance voice actress. Her first role was as Lime in the Dragon Ball Z episode "A Girl Named Lime". In March 2002, Kara was hired as a producer and occasional "sidekick" for the Sander Walker in the Morning radio show on WSSS 104.7 FM in Charlotte, North Carolina. She stayed in this position until October 31, 2003. After that morning's airing finished, the entire Sander Walker show cast and crew were informed that WSSS was switching its format to Christmas music around the clock, and subsequently were all terminated. Kara was not off the airwaves for long, however. In February 2004, she became the co-host of the Jeff Roper Morning Show syndicated from WSOC 103.7 FM, also out of Charlotte. In January 2005, Jeff Roper left WSOC to take a morning job at WWNU 92 FM in Columbia, South Carolina. WSOC management assigned Kara to take up co-hosting duties with Rob Tanner as part of the new Tanner in the Morning show. The show's mix of regional humor and parodies made it one of the higher-rated morning shows in the Charlotte area's country music radio market, and Kara continued her co-hosting duties for nearly two years.
Although Kara enjoyed her radio work, she had begun to feel more and more strongly about voice acting. In August 2006, Kara and fellow Funimation actors Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat, and Jason Liebrecht attended the Wizard World Comics Convention in Chicago, Illinois. When Dragon Ball fans waited in line up to five hours to get her autograph, Kara began seriously considering making voice acting her full-time job.
|“||I decided then, 'You know what? This is my passion in life.' I always thought radio was the
place I should be and pursued it and pursued it. Now I think this is the place I should be.
A few weeks later, Kara brought her feelings to WSOC management during a monthly performance strategy meeting and told them of her desire to go into voice-acting full-time and leave her position as co-host. WSOC and the Tanner show staff accepted Kara's decision, and her departure was handled amicably.
As of today, she is living in Dallas doing commercial and documentary voiceover, but occasionally returns to Funimation to reprise her Dragon Ball roles in recent projects. She is also heard performing roles in other anime.
- .hack//Quantum – Asta
- A Certain Magical Index series - Vento
- A Certain Scientific Railgun – Tsuzuri Tesso
- A Certain Scientific Railgun S – Tsuzuri Tesso, Febrie
- Aquarion Evol – Aika
- Cat Planet Cuties – Arisa Oshiro (credited as Janét Mason)
- Ben-To – Kyo Sawagi
- Chaos;Head – Kozue Orihara
- Chrome Shelled Regios – Countia Varmon Farness
- Dance in the Vampire Bund – Nanami Shinonome (credited as Janét Mason)
- Danganronpa: The Animation - Chihiro Fujisaki
- Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor – Mina Hazuki
- Dragon Ball series – Goten (Child), Videl, Lime (DBZ Ep. 170)
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods – Goten, Videl
- Fairy Tail – Ultear Milkovich (Child, Ep. 116)
- Guilty Crown – Kyo (Eps. 4–6), Miyabi Herikawa (Eps. 16, 18)
- Haganai – Akari Fujibayashi (Ep. 2)
- Heaven's Lost Property – Nymph
- Hetalia: The Beautiful World - Female Russia
- Is This a Zombie? – Eucliwood Hellscythe (Fantasy voice, Ep. 13 OVA)
- Is This a Zombie? of the Dead – Eucliwood Hellscythe (Fantasy voice, Eps. 9–10)
- Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing – Teddy
- Linebarrels of Iron – Yuriko Moritsugu (Ep. 21)
- Mass Effect: Paragon Lost – Christine
- Ōkami-san and her Seven Companions – Himeno Shirayuki (Eps. 9–10)
- One Piece – Lil
- The Rolling Girls – Banko (Eps. 3, 5)
- The Sacred Blacksmith – Patty Baldwin
- Sekirei – Chiho Hidaka (credited as Janét Mason)
- Shakugan no Shana - Brigid (Season 3)
- Shiki – Shihori (Ep. 21.5)
- SoltyRei – Celica Yayoi
- Soul Eater – Fairy (Ep. 9)
- Strike Witches 2 – Junko Takei (Eps. 1, 3, 12)
- YuYu Hakusho – Murugu
- Barney & Friends – Riff (singing)
- Raggs Kids Club Band – Razzles (speaking)
- Victorious – Woman (Season 2, Ep. 2)
- Dragon Ball series – Goten (Child), Videl
- The Gunstringer – Additional Voices
- SMITE: Athena voices/voice pack
- Squinkies – Princess
- Squinkies 2: Adventure Mall Surprize – Narrator
- The Geek Fighters Interview.[dead link]
- Charlotte Observer "Faith" section, TV/Radio article: "A Voice Designed To Bring Smiles" by Mark Washburn 2009-06-21
- Kara Edwards Voice Over Talent, young, real, animation. Karaedwardsvo.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-03.
- "Rejection". Chaos Head. Episode 9. - closing credits
- "Funimation Announces Danganronpa Anime English Dub Cast". Anime News Network. April 4, 2015. Retrieved April 5, 2015.