Karelian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic
|Karelian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic|
Карельская Автономная Советская Социалистическая Республика
Karjalan autonominen sosialistinen neuvostotasavalta
Karelian ASSR as shown on a 1928 atlas of the Soviet Union.
|-||1926||147,000 km² (56,757 sq mi)|
|Density||1.8 /km² (4.8 /sq mi)|
The Karelian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Russian: Каре́льская Автоно́мная Сове́тская Социалисти́ческая Респу́блика, tr. Karelskaya Avtonomnaya Sovetskaya Sotsialisticheskaya Respublika; Finnish: Karjalan autonominen sosialistinen neuvostotasavalta), or, in short, the Karelian ASSR (Russian: Каре́льская АССР, tr. Karelskaya ASSR; Finnish: Karjalan ASNT) was an autonomous republic of the Russian SFSR, Soviet Union, with the capital in Petrozavodsk.
The Karelian ASSR was formed as a part of the Russian SFSR by the Resolution of the Presidium of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee (VTsIK) of June 27, 1923 and by the Decree of the VTsIK and the Council of People's Commissars of July 25, 1923 from the Karelian Labor Commune. In 1927, the ASSR was divided into districts, which replaced the old volosts.
From 1940 to 1956, territory annexed from Finland was incorporated with the previous Karelian Autonomous Republic to form the Karelo-Finnish Soviet Socialist Republic, which had the status of a union republic in the federal structure of the Soviet Union. By this time, only about 10% of the population of this region was of Karelian or Finnish ethnic background.
On July 16, 1956, the SSR was downgraded from a Union Republic to an ASSR, and retroceded to the Russian SFSR.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (October 2014)|
Chairmen of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet
- Aleksandr Vasilevich Shotman (25 June 1923 - 1924)
- Aleksandr Fyodorovich (December 1924 - May 1928)
- Nikolay Aleksandrovich Yushchyev (January 1929 - 13 January 1934)
- Vasiliy Petrovich Averkyev (13 January 1934 - 1935)
- Nikolay Vasilyevich Arkhipov (February 1935 - November 1937)
- Mark Vasilyevich Gorbachev (November 1937 - 31 March 1940)
- Pavel Stepanovich Prokkonen (16 July 1956 - 18 July 1979)
- N. Kalinin (acting) (18 July 1979 - 18 August 1979)
- Ivan Pavlovich Mankin (18 August 1979 - 9 March 1984)
- N. Kalinin (acting) (9 March 1984 - 18 April 1984)
- Ivan Ilyich Senkin (18 April 1984 - 12 December 1985)
- V. Cheremovsky (acting) (12 December 1985 - 21 January 1986)
- Kuzma Filippovich Filatov (21 January 1986 - 27 December 1989)
- Viktor Nikolayevich Stepanov (27 December 1989 - 18 April 1990)
- Administrative-Territorial Division of Murmansk Oblast, p. 31
- Administrative-Territorial Division of Murmansk Oblast, p. 35
- Архивный отдел Администрации Мурманской области. Государственный Архив Мурманской области. (1995). Административно-территориальное деление Мурманской области (1920-1993 гг.). Справочник. Мурманск: Мурманское издательско-полиграфическое предприятие "Север".