|Origin||Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.|
|Genres||Pop, dance, hip hop|
Karmin is an American pop duo consisting of Amy Renee Heidemann (born April 29, 1986) and Nicholas Louis "Nick" Noonan (born April 27, 1986). They are best known for their song "Brokenhearted," which reached the top 20 in the United States, and the top 10 in New Zealand, Australia and the United Kingdom, and the song "Hello", which reached number one on the Dance Billboard Chart in the US.
They were known previously for their covers, including Chris Brown's "Look at Me Now" and Nicki Minaj's "Super Bass." Their original song "Take It Away" was used in promos for the 2011 NBA Finals. Karmin is currently managed by Berklee College of Music graduate Nils Gums ('06), who founded The Complex Group, Inc. Rolling Stone named Karmin's lead singer Amy as the winner of "Women Who Rock" contests.
Life and career
Early life and career beginnings
Amy Heidemann and Nick Noonan met while attending Berklee College of Music in Boston, from which they graduated in 2008. Heidemann is a graduate from Seward High School in Nebraska. Noonan graduated from Old Town High School in Maine, where he was a member of the concert band and jazz ensemble. They released their first EP, Inside Out, in May 2010, also getting engaged later that year. They booked their first public gig at All Asia bar, that summer.
The duo's popularity grew from an appearance on the daytime talk show The Ellen DeGeneres Show as well as exposure on YouTube, achieving more than 200 million views. The duo gained popularity after being discussed on reddit, and their video for "Look at Me Now" was posted on Ryan Seacrest's blog. The group later thanked reddit by giving the reddit alien mascot a prominent place in their video for their cover of "6 Foot 7 Foot."
They also made an appearance on the BET Awards in 2011, performing their covers before commercial breaks.
2011–2012: Hello and commercial breakthrough
After anticipation and speculation concerning Karmin signing with a record label, the group announced on June 2, 2011 that they had been signed by a major record label. Reports indicated, with confirmation from an industry insider, that the group had signed with Epic Records as part of L.A. Reid's return to the company. On their official website they asked their fans about what they wanted to hear on their album, and about 50% said they would like to have rapping.
In late June, 2012, the duo entered the studio to record their debut studio album and have collaborated with producers Warryn Campbell, Kane Beatz, Jon Jon Traxx, The Runners, Kwamé, D'Mile, Oak and Andrew "Pop" Wansel, Harvey Mason, Jr. of The Underdogs, Tricky Stewart, Rodney "Don Vito" Richard, The Exclusives, J. R. Rotem, Sham 'Sak Pase' Joseph, Christian Rich, Hit-Boy, The Fliptones, Kenneth "Soundz" Coby, The Composer, Stargate, with writing assistance from Claude Kelly, Elite, Redd Stylez, Kevin McCall, Audio Push, Corey Houston, Bonnie McKee, Kelly Sheehan, Heather Bright, Henry "Cirkut" Walter and Diane Warren. Both Heidemann and Noonan worked to maintain original songs and ideas, while working toward mainstream and pop music. They cited L.A. Reid's understanding of their musical background to be helpful in this process.
"Hello" was released on May 7, via digital download.
2012–present: Pulses and headline tour
On September 6, 2012, the duo confirmed via Twitter that they are in the process of making their first LP. It was first reported that the album would be released in November 2012, but the group stated on a Ustream chat that the album would not come out in November, they would be in the studio the whole month of November to record it. In December, 2012, the duo started to make appearances at live shows and concerts. On December 31, 2012 – January 1, 2013, Karmin performed as part of the ABC network's Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve '13 with Ryan Seacrest show; the duo played their hit "Hello". On January 1, 2013, Karmin performed on ABC network's Good Morning America; the duo played "Brokenhearted".
On February 26, 2013, the duo released a studio cover of Drake's song "Started from the Bottom" as a promotional single and first release of their, "Manic Mondays" releases. It was released digitally for free download. One week later they also released a mash-up studio cover for "Karate Chop/Sweet Dreams" by Future also as a promotional single. They released the single digitally for free download.
On May 15, Dasani dropped a new TV commercial for their 'Dasani Drops' water enhancers. The TV ad included a snippet of an unreleased Karmin song called 'Try Me On'. The duo previously talked about the song on a Ustream live chat.
On May 13, 2013, the group confirmed that their new single would be released in June of the current year, but didn't give further details. Then on late May the duo confirmed via Twitter that the lyric video for their upcoming single would be released on June 10, 2013, still not giving further details like the song's title or release date. Then on May 30, Amy said at the BMI Pop Awards that the new single would feature her rapping. It was later confirmed that the single's name would be "Acapella". On June 10, it was announced that they would be the opening act for Jonas Brothers on their upcoming 2013 tour and in the same day they also premiered their first single "Acapella," from their debut album on the Elvis Duran Show on Z100. On June 23, the duo said via Twitter that "Acapella" would be released digitally sometime in July, as part of the "Acapella Month" campaign which also featured live performances. The duo performed the new single plus 2 new songs and their hit single "Brokenhearted" in the Jimmy Kimmel Show on July 2. They also uploaded an acoustic version of Acapella this same day. Karmin on 5 July, said by Twitter that Acapella would be released to digital retailers on 9 July 2013. The song debuted at number 98 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and two weeks later peaked at number 72.
On July 10, the first night on tour with the Jonas Brothers, Karmin confirmed that their upcoming studio album is titled Pulses. The Album was set to be released Fall 2013, but then on September 18, 2013, during a live concert on StageIt, Karmin shared that the album is finished, but they are feuding with their label, Epic Records, and are struggling to settle on a second single and a release date for the full record. On October of the same year the album became available for pre order at Walmart's website, stating that the album was going to be released on December 31, 2013. This was later denied by their manager. On mid October the duo stated that they were back in the studio working again on their album. They expected to release details of the album, along with news of the album and a tour on October 28. But their label only allowed them to announce plans for a tour.
On October 28, they announced their "Pulses" 2014 tour. The tour currently has 15 dates across the northern part of the USA. The tour will start on January 29 2014, with the tickets going on pre sale on October 30, and for public sale on November 1.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|The Winslow Sessions||
|Karmin Covers, Vol. 1||
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Certifications
|2011||"Crash Your Party"||—||—||36||—||—||—||—||—||—||N/A|
|"—" denotes single that did not chart or was not released|
Awards and nominations
|2011||Karmin||American Music Award||New Media Honoree||Won|
|2012||MTV O Music Awards||Web Born Star||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||Breakout Group||Nominated|
|PopRepublic It List Awards||Breakthrough Artist||Won|
|Best Intl Group||Nominated|
- Karaoke Brokenhearted - Video with Lyrics - Karmin
- Karmin: 7 Things You Don't Know About the Pop Duo
- "NBA Taps YouTube Sensation Karmin for 2011 Finals Promo". Viral Videos Blog. ryanseacrest.com. Retrieved 7-13-11. Karmin is managed by fellow Berklee College of Music graduate Nils Gums, who was also the architect behind their YouTube development strategy.
- The Model And The Money Behind Viral Hits - Forbes
- Madden, Darry (6 February 2012). "The Mastermind Behind Karmin". Berklee College of Music.
- "About Karmin". About Karmin. karminmusic.com. Retrieved 7/13/2011.
- "Karmincovers". youtube channel. YouTube. Retrieved 12-5-2011.
- "Cute Chick Busts Busta Rhymes' Rhymes". Reddit. reddit.com. Retrieved 8-8-11.
- "YouTube Singer Gives Nicki Minaj A Run For Her Money". Ryan Seacrest. ryanseacrest.com. Retrieved 8-4-2011.
- "Karmin's Cover of 6' 7'". Karmin. Youtube. April 27, 2011. Retrieved 8/8/2011.
- "Meet Karmin A Cinderella Story Born On Youtube". Meet Karmin. bark and bite blog. Retrieved 8-8-2011.
- "YouTube Sensation Karmin Stays Prepared As Record Labels Loom". Article (LA Times). Retrieved 8-8-2011.
- "Breaking News". breaking news. karminmusic.com.
- "LA Reid to Head Up Epic Label Group". LA Reid. rap-up.com. Retrieved 8-8-2011.
- Halperin, Shirley (15 June 2011). "X Factor Judge LA Reid". xfactor (hollywoodreporter.com).
- "Karmin and Coolroy Perform". Karmin and Coolroy. bmi.com. Retrieved 8-8-2011.
- "Karmin Wows B96 With A Special Acoustic Performance & Chats With Stylz & Roman". B96 Chicago. October 20, 2011.
- "Karmin To Release Debut Album in Early 2012". Monica Mania. Retrieved February 8, 2012.
- "Karmin Told Us So: Discussing ‘HELLO’ with Amy, Nick, and Epic Records.".
- iTunes - Music - Hello by Karmin
- Karmin - "Started From the Bottom (Remix)" by Karmin Manic Mondays on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds
- Karate Chop/Sweet Dreams by Karmin Manic Mondays on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds
- DASANI Drops TV Commercial, 'Try Me On' - YouTube
- Twitter / karminmusic: June 10th!! RT @Austin_krach99:
- Rap-Up.com || Rap-Up TV: Karmin Readies Full-Length Debut for Fall
- Karmin (karminmusic) on Twitter
- Twitter / YouTube: Doing it a capella and acoustic
- Twitter / karminmusic: Okay, okay...it's
- Twitter / karminmusic: Sooooo #Acapella is on
- "Billboard Top 200 Albums for week ending May 26, 2012". Billboard. Retrieved May 17, 2012.
- CANOE - JAM! Music - SoundScan Charts
- Chart Moves: Keane & Karmin's Albums Debut, Pitbull's Not-Quite Career-Spanning Hits Set Arrives | Billboard
- "Karmin Debuts Video for Broken Hearted". Billboard. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- "Karmin – Australian Charts". australian-charts.com/ Hung Medien.
- "Karmin – Belgian Charts". ultratop.be/.
- "Irish Singles Chart – Week 32". IRMA. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- "Karmin – New Zealand Charts". charts.org.nz/ Hung Medien.
- "Official Chart Archive > Karmin". Official Charts Company. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- RIAA - Gold & Platinum Searchable Database - September 24, 2013
- "Top 50 Singles Chart". Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA). Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Canadian digital certifications – Karmin – Brokenhearted". Music Canada.
- Recording Industry Association of New Zealand (13 August 2012). "Certifications (Searchable Database)". RIANZ. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "About Us — KarminMusic". karminmusic.com.
- Official website
- Karmin's channel on YouTube
- Karmin's channel on YouTube
- Karmin's channel on YouTube
- Live unplugged performance & interview
- Official Spanish Website