Karuah, New South Wales
New South Wales
Bridge over the Karuah River
|Population||1,327 (2011)[Note 1]|
|• Density||13.8/km2 (36/sq mi) [Note 2]|
|Area||73.7 km2 (28.5 sq mi)[Note 3]|
|Time zone||AEST (UTC+10)|
|• Summer (DST)||AEDT (UTC+11)|
Karuah is a predominantly rural locality of both the Port Stephens and Great Lakes Councils in the Hunter Region of New South Wales, Australia. It is thought that the name means 'native plum tree' in the local Aboriginal dialect.
The suburb is split between the Port Stephens and Great Lakes councils with most (approximately 51%) located in the Port Stephens Council area. Karuah township is also split between the two councils with almost all of the township located in Port Stephens Council. The Karuah River, which runs approximately north to south through the centre of the suburb, forms the border between the two councils within the suburb. Karuah is located at the north-western corner of Port Stephens into which the Karuah River feeds.
The largest settlement within the suburb is the village of Karuah, which is on the old Pacific Highway and straddles the Karuah River. Most of the village, which occupies only about 0.7 square kilometres (0.3 sq mi) of the suburb's total area of 74.7 km2 (28.8 sq mi), lies within the Port Stephens LGA. It includes the largest Aboriginal community in the Port Stephens LGA and, at the 2006 Census, had a population of approximately 857. The rest of the suburb's population live in the rural properties which surround the village.
- This figure includes residents of Twelve Mile Creek.
- This is the average density of both Karuah and Twelve Mile Creek.
- Area calculation is based on 1:100000 map 9232 NEWCASTLE.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Karuah (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Suburb Search - Local Council Boundaries - Hunter (HT)". New South Wales Division of Local Government. Retrieved 27 May 2008.
- "Karuah (Port Stephens)". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 27 May 2008.
- "Karuah (Great Lakes)". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 27 May 2008.
- "Raymond Terrace (Wallaroo State Forest)". Climate statistics for Australian locations. Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 6 June 2008.
- "Karuah". Land and Property Management Authority - Spatial Information eXchange. New South Wales Land and Property Information. Retrieved 27 May 2008.
- "Karuah". Fairfax Digital. 8 February 2004. Retrieved 27 May 2008.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Karuah (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 27 May 2008. Map
- Karuah Bridge
- Dow L, Guyon D, Irving R, McPhee M, Matthews A, Prineas P, Rubinich T, Simpson J (1995). Reader's Digest Illustrated Guide to Australian Places. Surry Hills, NSW: Reader's Digest. p. 68. ISBN 0-86438-399-1.
Media related to Karuah, New South Wales at Wikimedia Commons