22 June 1991 |
Dartford, Kent, England
Katie Jarvis (born 22 June 1991) is an English actress, known for her role as Mia Williams in the film Fish Tank. She was spotted by a casting agent, following an argument with her boyfriend at Tilbury Town railway station.
Jarvis was seen by a casting agent working for director Andrea Arnold at Tilbury Town railway station in Tilbury, Essex, following an argument with her boyfriend, Brian. When first approached by the casting agent, she did not believe she was being cast for a film and refused to hand over her phone number, but eventually took a number and called later. She was cast in Arnold's film, Fish Tank, following a successful audition. Despite no previous acting experience, Jarvis said she wasn't nervous; "There weren't a lot of people at the first audition so I wasn't nervous, but at the second it became a bit more scary as there were a lot of girls. I'd never done any dancing or anything like that and I didn't think I had a chance." However, in the audition Jarvis refused to dance on which Arnold commented; "We had to leave the camera in the room and go out. She hates dancing." During much of the filming, Jarvis slept on her sister's couch. She plays Mia, a troublesome and sometimes aggressive 15-year-old girl from an underclass family, passionate about dance. Media of the time referred to her as the 'accidental actress'.  The film was in the running for the Palme d'Or at the 62nd Cannes Film Festival, and although it didn't win the highest award, it did win the Jury Prize. Following the success of the film, she was signed by talent agencies, Billy Lazarus signed her for United States based United Talent Agency and Sue Latimer of Artist Rights Group will represent her in Britain.
 Although it has not been confirmed officially, various movie news sites have reported that she is up for a female role in the seventh episode in the Star Wars saga after taking a brief hiatus from filming anything, to concentrate on her family.
Jarvis will co-star in a drama series for UK television that will air August 2014.
|2009||Fish Tank||Mia||Andrea Arnold||British Independent Film Award for Most Promising Newcomer
Edinburgh International Film Festival Award for Best British Performance
London Film Critics Circle Award for Young British Performer of the Year
Nominated—British Independent Film Award for Best Actress
Nominated—Chicago Film Critics Association Award for Most Promising Performer
Nominated—Empire Award for Best Debut
Nominated—European Film Award for Best Actress
Nominated—London Film Critics Circle Award for British Actress of the Year
- Palmer, Emma (2009-05-15). "Katie finds stardom after station tiff with boyfriend". Echo. Retrieved 2009-05-27.
- "No Cannes do... Essex girl star of gritty teen movie passes up red carpet invite to stay with newborn baby". London: Daily Mail. 2009-05-15. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- Akbar, Africa (2009-05-15). "Shy teenage star shuns red carpet of Cannes". London: The Independent. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- Hoyle, Ben (2009-05-14). "Station row led Katie Jarvis to stardom in British film Fish Tank". The Times. Retrieved 2009-05-27.
- Aftab, Kaleem (2009-05-15). "First Night: Fish Tank". London: The Independent. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- Calhoun, Dave (May 2009). "Fish Tank review". Time Out. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "Katie Jarvis - Essex's accidental actress". The Independent (London). 2010-01-15.
- Giltz, Michael (2009-05-24). "Cannes 2009 Day Twelve: Haneke Triumphs With Top Prize". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- Calhoun, Dave (2009-05-28). "Cannes 2009: Final round-up". Time Out. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "Fish Tank girl Katie signed by US agents". Basildon Recorder. 2009-05-26. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- Higgins, Charlotte (2009-05-14). "How row set in train life-changing offer for Fish Tank star". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-05-27.