Red Sky (2014 film)
Promotional poster for the film
|Directed by||Mario Van Peebles|
|Produced by||Nikolay Suslov, Dave Riggs|
|Screenplay by||Adam Prince|
|Story by||Nikolay Suslov
|Based on||Kerosene Cowboys: Manning the Spare
by Randy Arrington
Rachael Leigh Cook
Mario Van Peebles
|Running time||100 minutes|
Red Sky (working title: Kerosene Cowboys) is a 2014 straight-to-DVD action/thriller film directed by Mario Van Peebles and starring Cam Gigandet, Shane West and Rachael Leigh Cook. Adam Prince wrote the screenplay based on a story by Nikolay Suslov and Dave Riggs, who in turn based the story on characters from the novel Kerosene Cowboys: Manning the Spare by Randy Arrington. It is a Russian-American co-production (Svarog Films and Afterburner Films), supported by both Russian and American military forces. The film has been described as a "Top Gun-style pic" about pilots of an elite naval attack squadron.
In 2001 in Iraq, two American Navy pilots - Butch Masters and Tom Craig - are ordered to bomb an abandoned plant. The order appears to be false. American experts get killed in the plant. A secret chemical device, called "Rainmaker", designed for oil fields destruction, gets stolen. Military court cannot prove the pilots' intentions, and gives them a dishonorable discharge. After 7 years Craig is rich and famous. He manages a private pilot team, working for Top Gun and for movies. Masters is a grease monkey in a small airport. He still tries to investigate his old case, and dreams of his own pilot's team. In order to get a license to fly Russian jets, Masters goes to St. Petersburg, where he meets old friends and new problems. At the same time, a Kurdish terrorist group plans to capture a part of Northern Iraq and found a new Kurdish state there. They plan to use Rainmaker to destroy oil fields there and make the territory uninteresting for Americans. The terrorists' base is located in Northern Iran, and cannot be reached by US military. Navy intelligence offers Masters to clear his name by performing a secret off-records mission to Iran with a team of retired pilots. Using unmarked planes, they have to bomb the base and destroy "Rainmaker". Doomed to death, betrayed by friends, and left in the Syrian desert, Masters and his team finds unexpected support from the Russian Knights aerobatic team. Russians and Americans go to the final battle side by side.
- Cam Gigandet plays Butch Masters, a hot-shot pilot.
- Shane West plays Tom Craig, his one-time best friend-turned-nemesis.
- Rachael Leigh Cook plays an investigative journalist and the love interest of Gigandet's character.
- Troy Garity plays a ragtag Navy fighter pilot.
- Jason Gray-Stanford plays a ragtag Navy fighter pilot.
- Jacob Vargas plays a ragtag Navy fighter pilot.
- J.C. Chasez
- Kyle T. Heffner plays a shadowy government operative.
- comingsoon.net - Threesome Joins Kerosene Cowboys
- MovieWeb - 3 Ride to Kerosene Cowboys
- Sharon Swart (2008-05-18). "Yari ingnites 'Kerosene Cowboys'". Variety. Retrieved 2009-04-15.
- http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/features/columns/sharper_picture/e3i09f751dd163aa411355e7e0c5935ddc7. Missing or empty