Gates (left) posing with Lil Wayne in late 2012.
|Birth name||Kevin Gilyard|
|Born||February 5, 1986|
|Origin||Baton Rouge, Louisiana|
|Labels||Bread Winners Association, Atlantic Records|
|Associated acts||Gudda Gudda, Lil Boosie, Lil Wayne|
Kevin Gilyard (born February 5, 1986), better known by his stage name Kevin Gates, is an American rapper and singer born in New Orleans, Louisiana and moved to Baton Rouge, Louisiana right after where he was raised. On February 15, 2013, it was announced that Gates signed to Atlantic Records.
Kevin Gates first began rapping in 2007, when he began making music with fellow Louisiana natives such as Webbie and Lil Boosie. Gates first received attention with his 2008 single "Get in the Way" featuring Lil Boosie. Soon after, he and Boosie would be incarcerated in separate cases. Gates would then be released in 2011 and immediately returned to recording music. He would soon earn the attention of Lil Wayne and would start being managed by Young Money Entertainment's management wing. In early 2013, Gates released a mixtape, The Luca Brasi Story which was called "easily the best rap-related thing" in February 2013 by Spin Magazine, who also said he has "been a rapper to watch for a few years now". The Luca Brasi Story has been downloaded from popular mixtape sharing site, DatPiff, over 130,000 times.
On February 15, 2013, it was announced that Kevin Gates signed to Atlantic Records. Gates was also featured on Pusha T's 2013 mixtape Wrath of Caine on the song "Trust You" and was featured on frequent collaborator Gudda Gudda's mixtape Guddaville 3 on the song "Hustle All Day" also featuring Flow. On July 16, 2013 Gates released a street album titled Stranger Than Fiction, the street album featured guest appearances by Wiz Khalifa and Juicy J along with being supported by the single "4:30". Stranger Than Fiction debuted at number 37 on the Billboard 200 selling 8,400 copies in its first week. Rolling Stone ranked his song "Wylin" at number 40, on their list of the 100 Best Songs of 2013. His second street album By Any Means was released on March 17, 2014. It debuted at number 17 on the Billboard 200, selling 17,000 copies in the United States. Gates was named part of the 2014 XXL Freshmen Class.
- Pick Of Da Litter (2007)
- All Or Nuthin (2008)
- All In (2009)
- Behind Enemy Lines (2010)
- I Don't Know What To Call It Vol. 1 (2011)
- Make 'Em Believe (2012)
- In The Mean Time (2012)
- The Luca Brasi Story (2013)
- Stranger Than Fiction (2013)
- By Any Means (2014)
- "20. Kevin Gates — The 20 Best Rappers in Their 20s (Right Now)". Complex. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "Kevin Gates — 25 New Rappers to Watch Out For". Complex. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- Rap Release of the Week: Kevin Gates' 'The Luca Brasi Story' | SPIN | No Trivia
- "DatPiff "The Luca Brasi Story" Download".
- Kevin Gates Signs to Atlantic Records | Complex
- "DatPiff "Wrath of Caine" download".
- by C. Vernon Coleman (2013-07-15). "Kevin Gates 'Stranger Than Fiction' Album Trailer - XXL". Xxlmag.com. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- Paine, Jake (2013-07-24). "Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 7/21/2013 | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "100 Best Songs of 2013: Kevin Gates, Wylin'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- Balfour, Jay (2014-03-26). "Hip Hop Album Sales: Week Ending 3/23/2014 | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- Sia, Niccole. "XXL Freshmen 2014 Cover Revealed". XXL Magazine. Retrieved 6 May 2014.