Location in Stanislaus County and the state of California
|• Total||2.829 sq mi (7.326 km2)|
|• Land||2.829 sq mi (7.326 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||92 ft (28 m)|
|• Density||2,000/sq mi (760/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1656109|
Keyes is a census-designated place (CDP) in Stanislaus County, California, United States. The population was 5,601 at the 2010 census, up from 4,575 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Modesto Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Keyes is located at (37.561800, -120.917361).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.8 square miles (7.3 km2), all of it land.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Keyes had a population of 5,601. The population density was 1,980.1 people per square mile (764.5/km²). The racial makeup of Keyes was 3,109 (55.5%) White, 71 (1.3%) African American, 60 (1.1%) Native American, 200 (3.6%) Asian, 32 (0.6%) Pacific Islander, 1,919 (34.3%) from other races, and 210 (3.7%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3,233 persons (57.7%).
The Census reported that 5,572 people (99.5% of the population) lived in households, 29 (0.5%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 1,588 households, out of which 837 (52.7%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 862 (54.3%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 270 (17.0%) had a female householder with no husband present, 144 (9.1%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 123 (7.7%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 8 (0.5%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 235 households (14.8%) were made up of individuals and 93 (5.9%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.51. There were 1,276 families (80.4% of all households); the average family size was 3.88.
The population was spread out with 1,877 people (33.5%) under the age of 18, 590 people (10.5%) aged 18 to 24, 1,517 people (27.1%) aged 25 to 44, 1,168 people (20.9%) aged 45 to 64, and 449 people (8.0%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29.5 years. For every 100 females there were 99.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.4 males.
There were 1,714 housing units at an average density of 605.9 per square mile (234.0/km²), of which 1,063 (66.9%) were owner-occupied, and 525 (33.1%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 3.4%; the rental vacancy rate was 6.9%. 3,622 people (64.7% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 1,950 people (34.8%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,575 people, 1,391 households, and 1,065 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,591.9 people per square mile (615.5/km²). There were 1,471 housing units at an average density of 511.9 per square mile (197.9/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 61.99% White, 0.59% African American, 1.99% Native American, 3.26% Asian, 0.26% Pacific Islander, 27.63% from other races, and 4.28% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 41.14% of the population.
There were 1,391 households out of which 43.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.1% were married couples living together, 16.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.4% were non-families. 18.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.29 and the average family size was 3.75.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 35.1% under the age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 29.4% from 25 to 44, 17.8% from 45 to 64, and 9.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 97.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $31,734, and the median income for a family was $34,444. Males had a median income of $29,787 versus $20,625 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $11,865. About 19.5% of families and 21.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.0% of those under age 18 and 17.5% of those age 65 or over.
In the state legislature Keyes is located in the 12th Senate District, represented by Republican Anthony Cannella, and in the 26th Assembly District, represented by Republican Greg Aghazarian. Federally, Keyes is located in California's 19th congressional district, which has a Cook PVI of R +10 and is represented by Republican Jeff Denham.
- U.S. Census
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Will Gerrymandered Districts Stem the Wave of Voter Unrest?". Campaign Legal Center Blog. Retrieved 2008-02-10.
- Man Stun Gunned, Shot To Death By Deputy; Family Speaks