Comune di Chienes
|Province||South Tyrol (BZ)|
|Frazioni||Ehrenburg (Casteldarne), Getzenberg (Monghezzo), Hofern (Corti), St. Sigmund (San Sigismondo)|
|• Mayor||Reinhard Niederkofler|
|• Total||33.9 km2 (13.1 sq mi)|
|Population (Nov. 2010)|
|• Density||80/km2 (210/sq mi)|
Italian: di Chienes
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
As of 30 November 2010, it had a population of 2,726 and an area of 33.9 km².
The municipality of Kiens contains the frazioni (subdivisions, mainly villages and hamlets) Ehrenburg (Casteldarne), Getzenberg (Monghezzo), Hofern (Corti) and St. Sigmund (San Sigismondo).
The emblem is based on that of the family Schöneck; on gules a curved pile argent. In the right corner take place a five-pointed argent star, symbolizing the five villages in the municipality. The emblem was adopted in 1961.
St. Sigmund is a frazione of Kiens, its origins date back to 1050, when first it was called Burin and after Peuren, in 1317.
The town is located where the valley widens into a large flat area, for that reason it enjoys excellent weather conditions throughout the year.
From an architectural point of view, the buildings in the area are based on original South Tyrolean farmsteads style. Especially is notable the parish church (1449-1489), where is present the oldest and best preserved altar in Tyrol, dated around 1430. Another point of interest is the Church of Our Lady (German: Stöcklkapelle) dating back to 1621 and built in Baroque style. Behind the railway station, in the river Rienz, there are the Ilistra thermal baths (German: Ilstern), which once featured facilities for cures. Also in this area is the church of St. Ulrich that dates back to 1491 and is well preserved.
- Overall demographics and other statistics: Italian National Institute of Statistics (ISTAT).
- Heraldry of the World: Kiens
- "Volkszählung 2011/Censimento della popolazione 2011". astat info (Provincial Statistics Institute of the Autonomous Province of South Tyrol) (38): 6–7. June 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- Data from the Municipality of Kiens.
- Official website of the municipality (in German and Italian)
- Official website of the frazione of St. Sigmund.
Media related to Kiens at Wikimedia Commons