February 2, 1955 |
Grand Rapids, Michigan, U.S.
Kim Zimmer (born February 2, 1955) is an American actress. She is known for her role as Echo DiSavoy on One Life to Live and best known for her role as Reva Shayne on Guiding Light. She has won four Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for the role in Guiding Light.
Zimmer's career began with stage work; an early television role was her portrayal of the character of Bonnie Harmon on One Life to Live in 1978.
In 1979, she was tapped to replace Kathleen Turner as Nola Dancy Aldrich on The Doctors. (Ironically, in 1981 she appeared in the film Body Heat, co-starring with Turner, in a plot that addressed similarities in their appearance.) After The Doctors was canceled in 1982, she had a brief return to One Life to Live from February through November 1983 as Echo DiSavoy. On August 17, 2010, it was announced that after a twenty-seven-year absence, Zimmer would reprise the role of Echo, effective October 1. Zimmer will be featured in a story along with former Guiding Light co-star Jerry verDorn (Clint Buchanan), Robin Strasser (Dorian Cramer) and Erika Slezak (Viki Lord). She reprised the role on October 1, 2010.
Later in 1983, Zimmer was cast in the role for which she is best known, the character of Reva Shayne on the television soap opera Guiding Light. Zimmer left Guiding Light in July 1990 and moved to the West Coast for five years, during which she played Jodie DeWitt Walker on Santa Barbara from 1992 to 1993.
In 1995, Zimmer appeared in an episode of Seinfeld (The Diplomat's Club), as Mr. Pitt's attorney who suspects Elaine & Jerry of trying to kill Mr. Pitt. Zimmer returned to Guiding Light in April 1995 and portrayed Reva until the show's conclusion in September 2009. Her character's pairing with Robert Newman's Josh Lewis became very popular and the couple has developed into a supercouple and the cornerstone of the soap. Josh asked Reva if she was ready to go home with him and she was credited for reading the last line on Guiding Light to Josh, "Always."
Zimmer has also appeared in several episodic television programs, including Designing Women, MacGyver, Models, Inc., and Babylon 5 (episode "And Now For a Word", year 1995). She also appeared in several made-for-television movies.
Zimmer frequently returns to Michigan to participate in Michigan's oldest regional summer stock theatre at Augusta's Barn Theatre. In 2011, it was announced that Zimmer would be cast in the Off-Broadway international hit Love, Loss, and What I Wore. She starred as Mrs. Hayes in Connecticut Repertory Theatre's production of "Odysseus D.O.A.", running through March 4, 2012. Zimmer made her musical theatre debut on August 14, 2012, when she joined the first North American touring production of Broadway's Wicked. Her first appearance will be in Salt Lake City, Utah as she takes over from Liz McCartney in the role of evil headmistress Madame Morrible.
In 2011 she released her memoir called A Tell-All That Tells All.
Zimmer was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan. She graduated from Forest Hills Central High School in Ada Township, MI, which is just east of Grand Rapids, and then studied at Hope College in Holland, Michigan, and at American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco. She is married to actor/director A.C. Weary, and they have three children: Rachel, Max, and Jake Weary. Jake is also an actor; he appeared on As the World Turns as Luke Snyder in 2005, and has had various guest roles, including a role on Law and Order: Special Victims Unit. She resides in Montclair, NJ.
- 1979–82: The Doctors as Nola Dancy Aldrich No. 3
- 1981: Body Heat as Mary Ann
- 1983/2010–2011: One Life to Liveas Echo DiSavoy (Role: March to October 1983, October 1, 2010 – October 14, 2011)
- 1983-90/95-09: Guiding Light as Reva Shayne Lewis(: November 28, 1983 – August 1990, April 14, 1995 – September 18, 2009)
- 1989–90: MacGyver as Police Lt. Kate Murphy (3 episodes)
- 1989: Designing Women as Mavis (1 episode)
- 1989: Trenchcoat in Paradise as Claire Hollander
- 1991: 'Keeping Secrets as Maureen
- 1991: Hell Hath No Fury as Marlene
- 1992–93: Santa Barbara as Jodie Walker (31 episodes)
- 1992: FBI: The Untold Stories as Barbara Oswald (1 episode)
- 1994–95: Models Inc. as Joan (6 episodes)
- 1994: The Disappearance of Vonnie as Vonnie Kaczmarek Rickman
- 1995: Seinfeld as Lenore Walker (1 episode)
- 1995: Babylon 5 as Cynthia Torqueman (1 episode)
- 1995: University Hospital as Dr. Karen Hale (1 episode)
- 2006: Perl oder Pica as Nico
- 2008: The Van Pelt Family as Janet Van Pelt
- 2010: Freshman Father as Dean Frost
- 2010: Steamboat as Rhonda
- 2013: 23 Blast as Mary Freeman
- "Kim Zimmer: Biography". TV Guide. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- Michael Logan (Jul 22, 2011). "Finally, A Tell-All That Tells All: Kim Zimmer Dishes About Her New Memoir". TV Guide. Retrieved 2013-05-05.