King (TV miniseries)
DVD cover for King
|Directed by||Abby Mann|
|Produced by||Paul Maslansky|
|Written by||Abby Mann|
|Music by||Billy Goldenberg|
|Editing by||David Berlatsky
Richard C. Meyer
|Release dates||February 12–14, 1978|
|Running time||300 min.|
King is a television miniseries based on the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the American civil rights leader and 1964 Nobel Laureate. It aired for three consecutive nights on NBC from February 12 through 14, 1978. The miniseries earned nine Emmy Award nominations, including nominations for actors Paul Winfield, Cicely Tyson and Ossie Davis.
Several real-life figures from the Civil Rights Movement had minor roles in the production, including then-Atlanta mayor Maynard Jackson, King's sister Christine King Farris, his niece Alveda King, and his four children: Yolanda, Martin III, Dexter and Bernice. Donzaleigh Abernathy, Tony Bennett, Julian Bond and Ramsey Clark each portrayed themselves.
- Paul Winfield - Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Cicely Tyson - Coretta Scott King
- Tony Bennett - Himself
- Roscoe Lee Browne - Phillip Harrison
- Lonny Chapman - Chief Frank Holloman
- Ossie Davis - Martin Luther King, Sr.
- Cliff DeYoung - Robert F. Kennedy
- Al Freeman, Jr. - Damon Lockwood
- Clu Gulager - William C. Sullivan
- Steven Hill - Stanley Levison
- William Jordan - John F. Kennedy
- Warren J. Kemmerling - Lyndon B. Johnson
- Lincoln Kilpatrick - Jerry Waring
- Kenneth McMillan - Theophilus E. "Bull" Connor
- Howard E. Rollins, Jr. - Andrew Young
- David Spielberg - David Beamer
- Dolph Sweet - J. Edgar Hoover
- Dick Anthony Williams - Malcolm X
- Art Evans - A.D. King
- Frances Foster - Alberta Williams King
- Tony Holmes - Martin Luther King III
- Felecia Hunter - Yolanda King
- Roger Robinson - Fred Shuttlesworth
- Ernie Lee Banks - Ralph Abernathy
- Donzaleigh Abernathy - Herself
- Alveda King - Babysitter
- Julian Bond - Himself
- Ramsey Clark - Himself
- Christine King Farris - Ferris Church Soloist
- Maynard Jackson - Wallace Whitmore
- Bernice King - Student
- Dexter Scott King - Student #2
- Martin Luther King III - Rev. Briggs
- Yolanda King - Rosa Parks
The miniseries was released on DVD on January 11, 2005, nearly 27 years after it first aired on television.
- Waring is a fictitious character. In real life, his actions as depicted in the miniseries were performed by C. T. Vivian.
|This article about a television show originating in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|