Vangsness in 2007.
July 7, 1972 |
Pasadena, California, U.S.
Kirsten Simone Vangsness (born July 7, 1972) is an American actress and writer. She currently stars as FBI Technical Analyst Penelope Garcia on the CBS drama series Criminal Minds. She portrayed the same character on the spin-off series Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior.
Vangsness was born in Pasadena, California, the daughter of Errol Leroy Vangsness (born 1938 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin) and his wife Barbara Mary (née Marconi; born 1942 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania). Her paternal great-grandparents were Norwegian, with ancestry from Bergen, Gol, and Oslo. She was raised in Porterville, California, and later moved to Cerritos, California. She graduated from Cerritos High School in June 1990 and attended Cypress College. She later graduated from California State University, Fullerton.
Vangsness got her first big break in the theatre, where she won several awards, including the 15 Minutes of Female Best Actress Award, the Los Angeles Drama Critics Award for Best Emerging Comic Actress, and the Golden Betty Award.
Vangsness' work has been published in the Los Angeles Times.
Vangsness says that she is "as queer as a purple unicorn singing Madonna". She began dating film and television editor Melanie Goldstein in 2006. They were engaged, but separated in 2013. In April 2015, she revealed on smashinginterviews.com that she had entered into a relationship with a new boyfriend and was examining that aspect of her sexuality.
|1998||Sometimes Santa's Gotta Get Whacked||Tooth Fairy||Short film|
|2008||Tranny McGuyver||TV News Reporter||Short film|
|2009||Scream of the Bikini||Interior Decorator|
|2010||In My Sleep||Madge|
|2011||Sarina's Song||Party Guest||Short film|
|2011||Chicago 8, TheThe Chicago 8||Sketch Artist|
|2012||Remember to Breathe||Vocals for Young Alice||Short film|
|2013||Kill Me, Deadly||Mona Livingston|
|2004||Phil of the Future||Veronica||Episode: "Age Before Beauty"|
|2004||LAX||Ticket Agent / Stephanie||3 episodes|
|2005–present||Criminal Minds||Penelope Garcia||230 episodes|
|2010||Vampire Mob||Laura Anderson|
|2010–2012||Pretty the Series||Meredith Champagne||14 episodes|
|2011||Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior||Penelope Garcia|
|2011||Second City This Week||Herself||1 episode|
|2011–2013||Good Job, Thanks!||Therapist||2 episodes|
- Vangsness, Kirsten (2007-07-24). "Kirstens Blog". CBS. Archived from the original on 2007-10-12. Retrieved 2007-10-07.
- "Criminal Minds' Kirsten Vangsness Joins Spin-Off as a Series Regular". TVGuide.com.
- Family tree by Vangsness' father
- "Kirsten Simone Vangsness ancestry profile". Geni.com.
- Cypress College Public Information Office (2012-05-04). "Cypress College @Cypress Newsletter" (PDF).
- Anderson-Minshall, Diane (November 2011). "The Purple Unicorn". The Advocate: 42.
- Melanie Goldstein at the Internet Movie Database
- "Untitled". Criminal Minds Fanatic. 2009-09-22. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- Waldon, Dave (2008-09-23). "Kirsten Vangsness Thrives on "Criminal Minds"". AfterEllen.com. Retrieved 2008-10-10.
- Kirsten Vangsness at the Internet Movie Database
- Kirsten Vangsness at TVGuide.com
- Profile at CBS - Criminal Minds