|Elevation||144 m (472 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Kodumudi is located at  It has an average elevation of 144 metres (472 feet)..
Kodumudi is one of the  n Kongunadu and is believed to be one of the shikarams of Kailash. Sundarar composed his Namachivaayappatikam here. Several literary works praise the glory of this temple. This temple is regarded as the 6th of the 7 Tevara Stalams in the Kongu Region of Tamil Nadu.
Legends: Brahma and Vishnu who are enshrined here, are said to have worshipped Shiva, hence the name Trimurthy Kovil( In Tamil "MUMOORTHIGAL THALAM" ). Agasthyar is said to have worshipped here. In a test of strength between Adiseshan and Vayu, 5 gems are said to have gotten scattered from the head of Adisesha. A red stone landed at Tiruvannamalai, an emerald at Eengoimalai, a blue diamond at Potikai, a manikkam at Vaatpoki and a diamond here.
The legend of Agasthyar travelling to the South to tilt the balance of the earth is associated with Paandikkodumudi; it is believed that the waters of his kamandalam flowed from here as the Kaveri river to alleviate the misery of the farmers downstream. The Vinayakar here is referred to as Kaviri Kanda Vinayakar.
The Temple: This is a vast temple with grand shrines to Kodumudi nathar, Vadivudaiammai and Perumaal and Taayaar. There are 3 entrances leading to the Kodumudi nathar, Ambal and Veeranarayana Perumal shrines. Kunchitapaada Natarajar has both his feet on the ground, in contrast to the raised left foot. The sun's rays illuminate the sanctum of Shiva and Ambal for a period of 4 days in the months of Panguni and Aavani (Pisces and Virgo)
Endowments from the Pandyan rulers have lent the name Paandikkodumudi to this shrine. There are several inscriptions here recording endowments from various royal dynasties. The lion faced pillars testify to Pallava contributions.
Festivals: Bhrammotsavam is celebrated in Chittirai (Aries), in addition to Aadipperukku where lighted lamps are set afloat in the river, Aippasi Pournami, Thaippoosam & Arudra Darisanam .
Sthala Puranam (Mythology)
A well known divine story of the temple starts with the combat between Aathisesha and Vaayu ( God of life and element 'air'). This war pulses the holy Meru (Divine hill) and makes one Apex into five pieces, after this war the five pieces of the apex changes into five Swayambulinga Sivasthalas. These five sthalas are considered as five types of precious stones as follows:
- Emerald - Thirueengoimalai (nearer to Musiri)
- Red - Thiruvannarmalai
- Blue - Kuttraalam
- Manickam - Sivaaya Malai
- Diamond - Kodumudi
So the devotees believing this sthala for their bright future. This temple is a parikara sthalam for Kalasarpa dosham. Devotees fetch 13 pots of water from river cauvery and do abishekam to Kaviri-kanda-vinayagar under the peepul tree.
The following song is in praise of Makudeswara, the lord of the temple.
- கொடுமுடி நாதர் துதி
- காவிரிக்கரை கொண்ட திருப்பாண்டிக்கொடுமுடி,
- கோலமுது சூழ் மும்மூர்த்தி நற் தலமதில்;
- தாவியக்கரை ஓடும் முன்வினை பாவங்கள்,
- தாள் பணிந்திட்டேன் சுந்தரநாயகியின் நாதனே;
- கூவி யிக்கரையில் வன்னி னிழல மர்ந்து,
- கவி பாடும் பிறை சேகரனின் சொல்லேற்க
- வாருமே நமசிவாயமே! நமசிவாயமே!
Art & Architecture
Kodumudi is a holy place with holy River Kaveri and a characteristic feature i.e. Kavadi Theei'lham. This Kavadi with Kaviri (Ka---Crow, Viri-Spread) water and Vanni Leaves are the symbol of Tradition during the pilgrimage to Palanimalai. This pilgrimage includes various type of Musical instruments like Udukkai, Thaarai, Thampattam, Pambai. Nathaswaram, Thiruchinnam, Thuththari and with dancing performances too.
THE POETIC SAINT SAMBANDHAR who sung 11 songs on Lord Magudeshwara. Five songs by Appar and Saint Sundharar sung 10 songs (Namashivaya Pathigani) on Lord Magudeshwara. Lurtherly Arunagirinathar (Genuine devotee of Lord Muruga) sung "Thirupugazl" on Lord Muruga of this temple.Not Complete
- Valli matriculation higher secondary school,vaikaalset
- S.S.V Higher Sec School
- S.S.V GIRLS Higher Sec School
- S.S.V Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Sivagiri
- Sindhu Nursery and Primary School
- Thamarai Matric Hr Sec School, Thamaraipalayam
- Kongu Matriculation School, Solangapalayam
- Bharathi Matriculation School,Nallasellipalayam
- S.S.B.P School -Kodumudi
- The Holy and Mystic Vanni Tree without Flourishing and ripening is the Miraculous event of this temple.
- The last week of Aavani Tamil Month and 1st week of Panguni Tamil Month are the days of Special Dharsan. During these periods the sunlight enters through the aperture of the Rajagopuram (Entrance Tower) and reaches the Swayambulingam i.e. the Lord Surya who mingles with Lord Magudeshwara. So this event happens two times, and Lord Magudeshwara blesses the Surya.
- Kodumudi is the place of Kaviri Mother. She turns from South towards East. River Kaviri with this divine personality forms a fulfillment in devotion and makes a satisfaction in the life. So the devotees can approach this sthala to receive the bless and bliss for the fruitful life by means of Thirumoorthi's grace.
Hopes and Realities
Obligations for marriages, child birth, covers a maximum part of prarthana, nexly people those suffering from physical and mental diseases are strongly believing this sthala for their remedy. There are different type of rituals, poojas are conducted by the Thirukovil for the benefit of devotees. Lot of devotees succeeded and attained their goals by the strong hope and prarthana on Lord Magudeshwara. This sthala is famous for Navagraha Shanthi Homam and poojas relating the Navagraha moorthis. Devotees showing their gratitude to the temple by means of offering donations only temple for lord brama is kodumudi workship on Monday and bathing in kaveri river leads to great development in family and business life
Holy water points
Theertham - This defines the holy river Kaviri and other Holy water origins inside the temple, i.e. Bharadhwaja Theertham, Brahma Theertham, Deva Theertham viz.
Every year for Thaipposam kavadi, holy water from river cauvery at kodumudi is taken in pots to Palani Dandayudhapani temple for ablution. The temple thalapuranam says that during Thirumalai Naicker's regime, his commander appointed Sarswat Gurukal from Kodumudi. Then after few years, again the descendents of Pulipani siththar regained their rights and are managing the daily rituals of navapashanam idol at palani till date.
Vanni Tree (The tree is a 3000 year old living tree.)
Chithirai Festival begins with Flag Hoist and Car riding on the day of Hastha Nakshthra and ends in the day of Chithra Nakshathra with Holy bathing in the river at morning and dehoisting the flag the evening. During this Ten days of ceremony the Uthsavamoorthis (festive deities - Siva, Vishnu) will be taken out on different types of Vahanas for dharsan.
The 18th day of Aadi Tamil Month is the day for Holy bath in river Kaviri. During this function the Uthsavamoorthi will be taken to the river bank and there will be a function called "Deepam" conducted by Thirukovil, at 6.00 P.M. The Last Friday of the Aadi Month is the day of making Decorations to all deities with sandalwood powder.
The Moola Nakshathra day of Aavani Tamil Month is a day of Siva, Peruman who blesses the living being at the river bank is called Pittu Thiruvizha. Rohini Nakshathra day of Aavani Month is the birthday of Lord Krishna and so called as "Krishna Jayanthi". These festival is conducted for two days with the procession of Lord Krishna Festive deity.
Aswini Nakshathra of Aipasi Tamil Month is the day of Annabishekam (Abishekam with cooked rice) to Lord Magudeshwara and Sasti Festival of six days duration which ends with the Soora Samhara. The Seventh day function is the Marriage Ceremony of Lord Muruga with Valli, Devasena.
Krithika Nakshathra day of Karthigai Tamil Month is the day of "Karthikai Deepam" (Day of light). The last Monday of these month is the day for the "108 Sankabishekam" (conches filled with Kaviri water).
Thiruvathirai Nakshatra day of Margazhi Tamil Month is the day for Lord Nataraja, Nataraja abishekam is a process of specialized pooja for the dancing Sivaperuman. Procession, Festive deities will be taken out for the public dharshan. The "Ekadhasi" is the day of entering in the Gateway to reach "Vaikuntham" (Heaven of Mahavshnu). This function is followed by the procession of "Uthsavamoorthis".
Pushpa Nakshathra of Thai Tamil Month is the day of "Theerthavizha"
Mahasivarathri is a grand saivaite festival to receive the bless and bliss from the Supreme Divine grace Sivaperuman.
Uthra Nakshathra day of this Panguni Tamil Month is the day of worshiping Lord Muruga.
This sthala is situated in the main route of Erode-Trichy, Madurai highways and with source of confluent Train facilities. And so Trains from Erode towards Trichy, Madurai, Kaniyakumari, Thirunelveli, Tuticorin are at the benefit for the devotees. Both Train and Bus facilities are available to reach Kodumudi.
- Trichy 100 km
- Coimbatore 100 km
- Salem 100 km
- Erode 38 km
- Karur 26 km
- Tiruppur 60 km
- Gobichettipalayam 70 km
- Namakkal 45 km
- Muthur 18 km
- Sivagiri 10 km
- Chennai to Trichy Airport - Karur(bus travel) - Kodumudi
- Chennai to Coimbatore Airport - Erode(bus travel) - Kodumudi
As of 2001[update] India census, Kodumudi had a population of 12,669. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Kodumudi has an average literacy rate of 70%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 77%, and female literacy is 62%. In Kodumudi, 8% of the population is under 6 years of age.
kodumudi is famous for agriculture farms.Turmeric,sugercane,paddy etc..mainly grown in kodumudi area. Although kodumudi is agri town some industries are situated around kodumudi.
- TNPL is situated 15 km away from kodumudi which is one of the largest paper mill in India.
- EID parry sugar mill is situated 18 km away from kodumudi.
- SKM eggs and POORNA oil mill is 20 away from kodumudi.
- SADHAS textiles and KARVEMBU textiles is situated 15 km from kodumudi.
- More number of Rice mills,Blue metals cruisers units etc. are running around kodumudi.
- Large number of textile export units are present in karur outer towards kodumudi road.
- K. B. Sundarambal, a renowned stage artist and singer of South India. Kodumudi has a Cinema Theater by her initials 'KBS'
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Kodumudi
- yamakndur i
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.