L. Athira Krishna
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (October 2008)|
|Also known as||Violin Aathira /Athira/ L. Athira Krishna/L. Athira|
|Origin||Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram, India|
|Genres||Carnatic Music, Indian Classical Music, Carnatic Violin, World, Jazz, Fusion|
|Occupations||Violinist, Singer, Composer|
Aathira Krishna - Hailed as the New Queen of Indian Classical Violin and Violin Princess, AATHIRA is an Internationally acclaimed Prodigy Violinist of the present generation from India .Hailing from a renowned family of musicians in Kerala, she has an enviable musical lineage as the grand daughter of the illustrious Vidwan Shri.GopalaPillai, fabulous musician of yesteryears who belonged to the renowned Tanjore Tradition of Carnatic Music.Aathira is the proud recipient of many coveted recognitions including the prestigious Guinness World Record for her unique 32 hour-long Non-Stop Carnatic Violin Solo Concert. She is among the youngest Cultural Ambassadors of India taking the rich Indian classical music tradition to the nooks and corners of the world through her violin solo concerts and lec-dems.
Aathira is the daughter of Sri. K. C. Krishna Pillai and Smt. S. Leela Kurup. Growing up within one of Kerala's most acclaimed musical families, she had her intensive training under her grandfather Sangitha Vidwan. Sri Gopala Pillai at a tender age. Athira also inherited the intricacies of South Indian classical music from her father acclaimed musician and noted Veena Player Sangitha Vidwan. Sri K. C. Krishna.
Popularly hailed as the "Princess of Indian Violin", and aptly honored by the former First Lady of India Smt. Usha Narayanan as "The Musical Gem of India", Athira has represented Indian classical music at prestigious international music festivals.
Aathira had the rare honour to be invited twice to perform at the Rashtrapati Bhavan, the Official Residence of the President of India, before two former Presidents of India, Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam and K.R.Narayan.
In 2001, as a child prodigy representing Indian classical music, Aathira presented a paper presentation on "Violin in South Indian Classical Music" for the prestigious International Children’s Assembly held at New Delhi.
In 2002, Aathira had the honour of presenting a unique thematic 'World Music Night' incorporating music genres of more than 20 nations for the year long Millennium Celebrations in Kazakizhtan aiming at integration through music in the new millennium.
In 2003, Aathira entered the acclaimed Guinness Book of World Records for her unique 32 hour-long non-stop South Indian classical violin concert dedicated to global peace and harmony. This musical extravaganza titled 'Nadhabrahma' was also a tribute to her eminent grandfather. Athira also holds a place in the acclaimed Limca Book of Records for the same feat.
Aathira was among the youngest of speakers for the Lecture Demonstration Section of Internal MuSIC Festival in Russia on the topic “VIOLIN IN INDIAN CLASSICAL MUSIC”.
In 2005 Aathira was specially invited by the Mayor of Menden, Germany to perform at the prestigious international music festival Jazz Meets Classics. Athira also became the first Indian classical musician ever to perform at the famed 1000 year old church at Kaiserwerth, Germany.
In 2005 Aathira was invited to give the Inaugural Concert for the 74th birthday celebration of President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam who praised Athira saying it was “the best birthday present he had ever received”.
Lauded by connoisseurs and laymen alike, the music that cascades from Aathira’s violin has been described as unique, sublime, spell binding and brilliant.With immaculate fingering and bowing techniques, her violin playing is replete with ragabhava, and have a good command over all aspects of laya.Blending of her knowledge of western classical violin techniques to her Indian classical playing, she is also known for her highly advanced skills in playing the violin in a spiritual and virtuoso manner. Her Music renamed her as VIOLIN AATHIRA.
She has enthralled audiences across the world including performances for prestigious International Music Festivals in India and abroad including Russia, Muscat, Doha, the Middle East, Germany, Behrin, Kirgiztan, Singapore, Kazakhstan etc.
Aathira has also given numerous "Trans Global Fusion" concerts and lecture demonstrations on Indian classical music at numerous World Music festivals.
Awards & Rare Recognitions
- National Balashree Honour from India Govt 2001
- Prestigious Guinness World Record Holder 2004
- Limca World Record Holder 2004
- National Award for Excellence in Music 2007 from President of India Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam in association with Indian Music Academy (IMA).
- Princess of Strings Award 2006 from Rotasia World Conference.
- Infosys-EducationWorld Young Achiever Award 2007
- Honored with the title of "The Musical Gem of India" by former First Lady of India Usha Nrayanan, after Athira's concert at the Rashtrapati Bhavan 2002.
- Athira is the first and only Indian classical musician to perform at the prestigious International Music Festival Jazz Meets Classics in Germany.
- Leading Indian Magazine India Today rated Athira among the Chennai’s Top Ten Best Performers list in its Independence Day Special 2006 edition titled “Best of Chennai”.
- Athira became the First Indian Classical Musician ever to perform at the famed 1000 year old church at Kaiserwerth, Germany in 2005.
- In 2005 The Week Magazine featured Athira among the Young Achiever - Youth Icons of India along with Sachin Tendulkar, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Viswanathan Anand.
- Yuva Kala Bharathi Award from Bharath Kalachar, 2009.
- TANTHRI NADHA MANI Title from Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam 2010
- Mannam Memorial Award from TNSS, 2010.
- ASPIRE NATIONAL TALENT AWARD for Role Models of India -2010
- The Times of India featured Aathira in its Independence Day Special 2010 on Thirty Female Young Achievers of India.
- VERVE Magazine elected Aathira among the
‘ Outstanding Young Achievers of India’,2011.
- Athira Krishna's Official Website www.athira.in
- Concert Review- THE HINDU
- Concert Review - GOA PLUS
- Bharat Kalachar Announces Awardees -The Hindu
- TED INSPIRING SPEAKERS
- VERVE MAGAZINE YOUNG ACHIEVER LIST
- The Hindu News -Infosys-Education World Young Achiever Award - Article at Hindu.com
- The Hindu News -Chennai violin prodigy wins rave reviews in Germany - Article at Hindu.com
- The Hindu News - An employee's ward does BSNL proud -Athira stunned the BSNL family - Article at Hindu.com