Lake Mary High School
|Lake Mary High School|
"Building on Excellence"
|Lake Mary, Florida
|Head teacher||Michael Kotkin|
|Faculty||261 (teachers and staff)|
|Number of students||2,862|
|Color(s)||Red, White & Gray|
Lake Mary HS was the fourth high school in Seminole County, opening for the 1981–82 academic year. The 300,000-square-foot (28,000 m2) physical plant includes an 800-seat Auditorium, 890 seat Cafeteria, 2,200 seat Gymnasium, Media Center, and 13 computer labs. The high school grounds contain a 4,500 seat stadium, lighted baseball field, softball field, track, tennis and handball courts, and an indoor practice building. Since 2002, the campus has undergone a $20 million project involving both new construction and remodeling, funded by a county-wide sales tax. A new 27,000-square-foot (2,500 m2) Auditorium with modern band, chorus, dance and drama facilities opened in July 2003, along with a 6,000 sq ft (560 m2) Multipurpose Fieldhouse. The main building remodeling includes a new Media Center (14,500 sq ft), CCTV studios, additional classrooms, relocation of Administration, and expanded Applied Technology labs. The final phase completed in 2006 provided practice fields and courts, parking and drainage improvements, (edit: Stadium Locker Rooms are not provided. Locker rooms are located next to the gym and is only used for the stadium during sporting events) and concession space.
In May 2008, the Auditorium was named for Alice Ann Nilsen and Terry Pattishall, retiring choral (23 years) and band (27 years) directors.
The ram is the Lake Mary High School mascot. The original Lake Mary Ram on school sports uniforms and venues was very similar to the Dodge Ram logo. In 2010, Chrysler objected to its corporate ram logo being used without permission. The Seminole County School Board ordered removal of Chrysler's logo from T-shirts, benches, wrestling mats, the school track and gym floor by June 15, 2010. Lake Mary High School responded that it would cost too much to remove the infringing logos, and local Chrysler dealers bore the brunt of local community anger. After discussions, a special agreement by Chrysler allowed Lake Mary High School to continue using the Dodge Ram logo as its athletic mascot, at least until equipment bearing the logo needs replacement. Instead of having to pay for the removal, Lake Mary High School will be a “Chrysler Business Partner” and will promote the relationship. Global Village Concerns (GVC), a branding and marketing services company founded in response to budget cuts impacting schools nationwide, has partnered with Lake Mary High School in Lake Mary, Fla., to create a new school image.
Lake Mary HS students are drawn from suburban residential neighborhoods of unincorporated Seminole County, as well as the cities of Longwood and Lake Mary. A small group of students attend from the city of Sanford to improve ethnic diversity, complying with a 1966 "unitary status" plan adopted by the Seminole County School Board to reverse segregation.
|Student Demographics||Lake Mary HS||State Average|
|Teaching Faculty||Lake Mary HS||State Average|
|Teachers in 1st year||17%||21%|
|Students per teacher||20|
- 145 teachers
- Junior Achievement 2004 Teacher of the Year
- 13 National Board for Professional Teaching Standards  certified
- 1 Finalist, Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
- 1 Winner, United States Air Force for Outstanding Achievement in Technology Education
- 1 Member, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta's Education Advisory Group
- Advanced Placement
- 24 Advanced Placement courses: (English (2), Math (3), Science (4), Social Studies (7), Spanish (2), Art (4), Music Theory, Computer Science (1)
- 558 students took 1232 exams
- 69% pass rate on AP exams
- 91 AP Scholar Awards (students scored 3 or higher on 3 or more AP exams)
- 24 AP Scholar with Honors (students scored 3 or higher on 4 or more AP exams)
- 44 AP Scholar with Distinction (students scored 3 or higher on 5 or more AP exams)
- 12 National AP Scholar (students scored 4 or higher on 8 or more AP exams)
- "A" rating for 2010 by Florida Department of Education.
- 94% Graduation rate in 2012.
- 87% of 10th graders at grade level or above on 2006 FCAT Writing Test 
- 2005 seniors led all Seminole County Schools in ACT: 22.8 (national: 20.9), for the 10th consecutive year.
- 2005 seniors led all Seminole County Schools in SAT: 1081 (county: 1041, national: 1028).
- 12 National Merit Scholarship Program Semifinalists.
- Four Seniors (1985, 1995, 2004 & 2011) named United States Presidential Scholars.
- Three seniors honored as National Hispanic Scholars.
- Two seniors awarded the 2005 National Council of Teachers of English Achievement Award in Writing.
- One senior awarded the 2006 National Council of Teachers of English Achievement Award in Writing, this senior was the only winner in Seminole County.
- LMHS students participate in 69 organizations and clubs. High points for 2005-2006 include;
- Mu Alpha Theta Math Team: 8 students qualify for American Invitational Mathematics Exam.
- Chorus won best performance at the 3rd Annual Golden Lyre Awards, plus 4 individual and 4 ensemble Superior awards at District competition.
- The Lake Mary Marching Rams and concert bands routinely receive Superior ratings at District assessments. Ram musicians are well represented in the Tri-State Honors Band, All-State Honors Band and All-County Honors Band. Every year, several students receive Superiors at District and State solo/ensemble festivals. The band website has an extensive multimedia page of photos and videos.
- Varsity Lake Mary Junior Engineering Technical Society Team were Regional Champions.
- International Thespian Society Troupe 3506 received 9 individual Superiors, the One Act received a Superior, 3 students made the All-Star Cast and Crew, and two individual events received "Best in Show" for the whole district.
- Marionettes dance team was selected to perform for the nationally televised program Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.
- The Colorguard is the 2000 A-class gold medalist, holding the record for highest score in the class (98.6). They are also 2002 Open class silver medalists and 7 time WGI finalists.
- Brad Bridgewater, 1991 (1996 Olympic gold medal in the men's 200 meter backstroke) 
- Matt Butcher, 2001 (Singer-Songwriter)
- Reggie Campbell, 2003, football Running Back
- Chris Elrod, 1984 (Christian comedian and writer) 
- Tara Dawn Holland, 1990 (Miss America 1997)
- Keith Rivers, 2004 (USC linebacker, 9th Overall 2008 NFL Draft Pick by the Cincinnati Bengals) 
- Nick Nanton, 1998 (self-promotion guru)
- Chad Kessler, All-American football player
Awards and distinctions
Lake Mary High School lays claim to several awards and recognitions.
- Orlando Sentinel Varsity Cup, 2005
- Florida Department of Education/PTSA Parent Involvement Award, 2005
- Five Star School Award, 2005 
- Florida High School Athletic Association, Class 6A, All Sports Champions, 2004-2005 
- Ranked #248 of Newsweek's America's Best High Schools, 2007 
- One elected to the Athletic Trainers Association Hall of Fame, 2005
- 2 Time ATAF Student Athletic Trainer of the Year 1998, 1999
The girls basketball team won the Florida state championship in 1998, 2006, and 2010.
- 2007 National Champions & Innovative Choreography Award (Choreographed by Student Cheerleader Brantley Jittu)
- 2007 Varsity- Best All-Around Routine (Choreographed by Student Cheerleaders Brantley Jittu & Kristin Trotter)
- Marionettes Dance Team: 12 time National high kick champions, most recent 2010 National Dance Association
The boy's golf team won the state championship in 2004, 2006, and 2009. The girl's team won in 2007 and 2009.
The newspaper is The Rampage, part of the High School National Ad Network. The literary magazine, Essence, is the only Florida school literary magazine rated Superior by the National Council of Teachers of English. The yearbook is called the Chrysomallus.
- School To Stop Using Dodge-Like Ram's Head Logo. NPR. 16 Feb. 2010.
- "Seminole school dodges trademark infringement bullet". February 2, 2010. Retrieved 2 February 2010.
- "Chrysler sorry over Lake Mary Rams flap". February 3, 2010. Retrieved 3 February 2010.
- "Lake Mary HS gets to keep Ram logo". March 9, 2010. Retrieved 9 March 2010.
- Global Village Concerns, Inc.
- "Lake Mary High unveils new "Ram" logo". March 9, 2010. Retrieved 9 March 2010.
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
- Florida Department of Education: 2006 Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test
- Orlando Sentinel "Local Olympians"
- Naval Academy Profile of Reggie Campbell
- Keith Rivers: USC Team Biography
- 2004-2005 National and State School-Related Recognitions
- Five Star School Award Website
- Florida High School Athletic Association: All Sports Awards
- Newsweek: America's Best High Schools, 2007