Last Exit (Traffic album)
|Studio album and Live album by Traffic|
|Recorded||November 1968, Morgan Studios, London|
Last Exit, released in May 1969, is the third album by English rock band Traffic. It is a collection of odds and ends put together by Island Records after the initial breakup of the band. The album reached number 19 in the American Billboard charts. As implied by the cover photos, the album features the original lineup of Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Chris Wood, and Dave Mason, though Mason does not actually appear on most of the songs.
"Just For You" was previously released in February 1968 as a Dave Mason solo B-side. (The A-side was called "Little Woman".) This was after Mason left Traffic the first time, following Mr. Fantasy. Conveniently for its use on this album, the other members of Traffic backed up Mason on this track.
"Medicated Goo" and "Shanghai Noodle Factory" were the A- and B- sides, respectively, of a December 1968 single. Mason does not appear on these tracks.
"Something's Got a Hold of My Toe" is an instrumental and appears to be an outtake not originally intended for release. It is unclear why producer Jimmy Miller (a lyricist elsewhere on the album) gets a co-writing credit on this.
"Withering Tree" was previously released as the B-side to "Feelin' Alright" (September 1968), although the version on the LP is slightly different than the single. Dave Mason does not appear on this although it was probably recorded while he was still in the band.
The two Fillmore West live tracks that make up the second half do not feature Mason.
The original American LP features a different picture on the cover. The picture is of the band cut into the shape of the band's logo.
Allmusic's retrospective review said that Last Exit, though weaker than its two predecessors, "isn't bad as profit-taking products go." They complimented most of the studio tracks as highly appealing works, and praised the cohesive jamming on the live tracks.
- "Just for You" (Dave Mason) – 2:18
- "Shanghai Noodle Factory" (Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Chris Wood, Mason, Jimmy Miller, Larry Fallon) – 5:06
- "Something's Got a Hold of My Toe" (Winwood, Mason, Miller) – 2:14
- "Withering Tree" (Winwood, Capaldi) – 3:04
- "Medicated Goo" (Winwood, Miller) – 3:36
- "Feelin' Good" (live) (Anthony Newley, Leslie Bricusse) – 10:40
- "Blind Man" (live) (Deadric Malone, Joseph Scott) – 7:06
- Steve Winwood – organ, piano, bass, lead vocals (except on "Just for You"), guitar on "Shanghai Noodle Factory" and "Medicated Goo"
- Jim Capaldi – drums, percussion, backing vocals
- Chris Wood – flute, saxophone, organ
- Dave Mason – guitar on "Just for You" and "Something's Got a Hold of My Toe", lead vocal on "Just for You"
- Traffic in the USA Charts, Allmusic. Retrieved August 9, 2011.
- "allmusic ((( Last Exit > Review )))". www.allmusic.com. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- Scaruffi, Piero (1999). "Traffic". pieroscaruffi.com. Retrieved August 15, 2013.