Latvian Song and Dance Festival
The Latvian Song and Dance Festival (Latvian Vispārējie latviešu Dziesmu un Deju svētki) is one of the largest amateur choral events in the world and an important event in Latvian culture and social life. It is also a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity. The All-Latvian Song and Dance Festival has been held since 1873, normally every five years. During the festivals exhibitions of photography, art and folk craft, orchestra concerts, and a festive parade also take place. Events and competitions leading up to the event occur throughout the period between festivals.
Approximately 30,000 performers altogether participate in the event. Although usually folksongs and classical choir songs are sung, with emphasis on a cappella singing, recently modern popular songs have been incorporated into the repertoire.
The tradition of song festivals originated in the first half of the 19th century in many European countries and later was also organized by the Baltic Germans. The first steps taken in Latvian environment was during the song days in Dikļi in 1864, which led to the resounding of a full-scale Song Festival in Riga during the summer of 1873. 1003 singers and 30 orchestra players participated in the first festival. Only once festival was held outside Riga- in Jelgava in 1895.
During the Soviet invasion and annexation of Latvia in 1940, festivals were continuing in the Latvian SSR, which were celebrating the Soviet Union (to allow its continuous existence). During the occupation the festival tradition was continued in exile, first in Displaced Persons camps after World War II, primarily in the western zones in Germany, then in the United States, Canada, and Australia. The abroad Song and Dance Festival is currently held every four years, alternating between the United States and Canada.
The 25th Festival took place in July 2013.
- 23rd All Latvian Song Festival retrieved on 7 March 2007
- 10th Latvian Youth Song and Dance Celebration in Riga retrieved on June 28, 2011
- XXV Nationwide Latvian Song and XV Dance Celebration Website retrieved on July 6, 2013
- Law of Song and Dance festivals
- Pictures of the event
- Pictures of the event in 2003 and 2008
- www.bestriga.com When Many Become One
- URL for next event in 2013, redirects to Latvian Choirs
- Day of Song celebrating 75th anniversary of First Latvian Song Festival, at the Fischbach Displaced Persons Camp (Fischbach nei Nűrnberg)