Lauren Wood (born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) is an American singer-songwriter, voice-over artist and producer. She is most notable for the 1989 single, "Fallen," which was used in the 1990 movie Pretty Woman, and "Please Don't Leave," a duet with singer Michael McDonald in November 1979. Wood is also known by the nickname "Chunky" and has used "Ilene Rappaport" for authoring songs.
Wood's career began in the mid '70s when she formed a band called Rebecca and the Sunnybrook Farmers. In 1972, she provided back-up vocals on Frank Zappa's album The Grand Wazoo. In 1973, Wood formed the band Chunky, Novi and Ernie with her cousin Novi Novog and bassist Ernie Emerita They released two albums both co-produced by Ted Templeman. "Underground", from the 1973 album was covered by Montrose on Paper Money (1974).
In 1979, she released her first self-titled album on Warner Bros. Records. Although this is a solo album, the words "Featuring Novi and Ernie" appear in the lower right corner of the cover and the photo has Wood flanked by her bandmates. Guests included Michael McDonald, Little Feat members Bill Payne and Fred Tackett, Steve Lukather, Ronnie Montrose, Jim Keltner and Patrick Simmons. The duet "Please Don't Leave" went to #5 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart and #24 on the Pop Singles chart.
After her follow-up album, Cat Trick, Wood vanished from the music scene. However, she spent time writing and performing songs for television and movie soundtracks, including "Fallen," the song used in Pretty Woman, which has been covered by musicians such as Johnny Mathis, Larry Coryell, and Nicolette Larson. Larson would later record two more songs written by Wood for her 1988 album Shadows of Love. These two tracks were "Work on It" and "Where Did I Get These Tears".
In 1998, Wood founded her own record label, Bad Art Records. On this label, she released her third album, Lauren Wood, in 1998 and Love, Death & Customer Service in 2006.
Albums (with band)
- Chunky, Novi and Ernie (1973)
- Chunky, Novi and Ernie (1977)
- Lauren Wood (1979)
- Cat Trick (1981)
- Lauren Wood (1999)
- Love, Death & Customer Service (2006)
- Love, Death & Customer Service (2011)
- "Please Don't Leave" (1980)
- "Fallen" (1989)
- "Contradictions" (2007)
- Return to Never Land (2002) ("So To Be One of Us")
- The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (2000) (V) ("Here on the Land and Sea")
- The Tigger Movie (2000) ("The Wonderful Thing about Tiggers", "Someone Like Me Lullabee", "The Whoop-de-Dooper-Bounce", "Pooh's Lullabee", "Round My Family Tree", "How to Be a Tigger")
- Just Shoot Me! (1997–2003) ("Life Keeps Bringin' Me Back To You")
- Pretty Woman (1990) "Fallen"
- Police Academy 3: Back in Training (1986) "Wounded In Love")
Covers of "Fallen"