|Born||Lavrente Indico Diaz
December 30, 1958 
Datu Paglas, Maguindanao, Mindanao, Philippines
|Occupation||Director, producer, screenwriter, editor|
|Notable work(s)||Evolution of a Filipino Family
Norte, the End of History
Lavrente Indico Diaz (born December 30, 1958) is a Filipino independent filmmaker.
He has won several international awards such as the award for Best Picture at the Singapore International Film Festival, the Independent Film Festival of Brussels and Gawad Urian in 2002 and Netpac Jury Prize and Best Acting Ensemble (2001 Cinemanila International Film Festival) for his film Batang West Side (including Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Cinematography, Best Production Design, Best Music, Best Sound at the Urian), in Gawad Urian in 2005 for the film Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino (Evolution of a Filipino Family), and Special Jury Prize at the Fribourg International Film Festival in 2006 for Heremias, Book One.
His films often tackle the issues regarding the current social and political state of the Philippines. His film Kagadanan sa Banwaan ning mga Engkanto (Death in the Land of Encantos), the Closing Film of the orizzonti section of the Venice Film Festival 2007, was awarded with a Golden Lion Special Mention. Death in the Land of Encantos was also in competition at the Artistic Innovation Award (Visions) of the Toronto International Film Festival 2007. He received several awards at the Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature. His film Melancholia won the Orizzonti Grand Prize at the 65th Venice International Film Festival in 2008. In January 2011 he joined the Board of Directors for Cine Foundation International.
He went back in 2011 at the Venice International Film Festival for his film Siglo ng Pagluluwal (Century of Birthing) and which earned the Grand Jury Prize at the 13th Cinemanila International Film Festival. The following year, his film Florentina Hubaldo, CTE won Best Asian Film at the Jeonju International Film Festival and gained the On-Screen Award at the Images Festival.
His 2013 film Norte, the End of History was screened in the Un Certain Regard section of 2013 Cannes Film Festival. He received the Golden Leopard at the 2014 Locarno International Film Festival for From What Is Before.
|Year||Original Title||English Title||Notes|
|1998||Serafin Geronimo: Kriminal ng Barrio Concepcion||The Criminal of Barrio Concepcion|
|Hubad sa Ilalim ng Buwan||Naked Under the Moon|
|2001||Batang West Side||West Side Kid||NETPAC Award - Cinemanila International Film Festival|
|2002||Hesus, Rebolusyunaryo||Jesus, Revolutionary|
|2004||Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino||Evolution of a Filipino Family|
|2006||Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)|
|2007||Kagadanan Sa Banwaan Ning Mga Engkanto||Death in the Land of Encantos||NETPAC Award - Jeonju International Film Festival|
|2008||Melancholia||Orizzonti Grand Prize at the 65th Venice International Film Festival|
|2009||Walang Alaala ang mga Paru-Paro||Butterflies Have No Memories|
|2011||Babae ng Hangin||Woman of the Wind|
|Siglo ng Pagluluwal||Century of Birthing||Grand Jury Prize - Cinemanila International Film Festival|
|Elehiya sa Dumalaw Mula sa Himagsikan||Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution|
|2012||Florentina Hubaldo, CTE||NETPAC Award - Jeonju International Film Festival|
|2013||Norte, Hangganan ng Kasaysayan||Norte, the End of History||Entered in the Un Certain Regard section of 2013 Cannes Film Festival
Will be shown in the Masters section of 2013 Toronto International Film Festival
Part of the main slate of 2013 New York Film Festival
The Philippines' Official Entry to the Best Foreign Language Film category at the 87th Academy Awards.
|2014||Mula sa Kung Ano ang Noon||From What Is Before||Golden Leopard – Locarno International Film Festival|
|2014||Mga Anak ng Unos||Storm Children|
- "Lav Diaz". IMDb. IMDb.com, Inc. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Jennings, Sheri (18 August 2011). "Venice Orizzonti adds Lav Diaz's Century of Birthing". Screen Daily (Media Business Insight Limited). Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Cinemanila International Film Festival (2011)". IMDb. IMDb.com, Inc. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Hwang, Hei-rim (8 May 2012). "Jeonju International Film Festival award winners announced". Korean Cinema Today (KOFIC). Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Images Festival Award Winners". Images Festival. Tucows Domains Inc. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "2013 Official Selection". Cannes. 30 April 2013. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- The official Lav Diaz website
-  New Filipino Cinema, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
-  Corporal Histories: Lav Diaz's Epic Philippine Cinema (Exit Art of New York Retrospective)
- Video Interview Cargo Magazine
- The Films of Lav Diaz
- Lav Diaz at the Internet Movie Database
- A Conversation with Lav Diaz by Alexis Tioseco Criticine.com
- Exploitation is never cool to me. A Conversation with Lav Diaz La furia umana, n. 9, Summer 2011 [lafuriaumana.it]
-  11 Hours in a Life's Cause by Lim Li Min (New York Times)
- Militant elegy. A conversation with Lav Diaz La furia umana, n. 17, Autumn 2013 [lafuriaumana.it]
- The Burden of History. A conversation with Lav Diaz La furia umana, n. 21, Autumn 2014 [lafuriaumana.it]