|Lavaux, Vineyard Terraces|
|Name as inscribed on the World Heritage List|
|Criteria||III, IV, V|
|UNESCO region||Europe and North America|
|Inscription||2007 (31st Session)|
The Lavaux is a region in the canton of Vaud in Switzerland, in the district of Lavaux-Oron. The Lavaux consist of 830 hectares of terraced wineyards that stretch for about 30 km along the south-facing northern shores of Lake Geneva.
Although there is some evidence that vines were grown in the area in Roman times, the actual vine terraces can be traced back to the 11th century, when Benedictine and Cistercian monasteries controlled the area. It benefits from a temperate climate, but the southern aspect of the terraces with the reflection of the sun in the lake and the stone walls gives a mediterranean character to the region. The main wine grape variety grown here is the Chasselas.
World Heritage site
In 1977, the voters of the Canton of Vaud accepted (54.95%) the cantonal popular initiative "Save Lavaux". Consequently, in 1979, a law in made to protect Lavaux (Loi sur le plan de protection de Lavaux).
In 2003, the new constitution of the Canton of Vaud came into force but did not contain the article about the protection of Lavaux. So a second popular initiative "Save Lavaux" was launched to re-introduce it; it was accepted in 2005 by 80.98% of voters.
In 2009, Franz Weber launched a third initiative "Save Lavaux" to reduce the possibilities to build new buildings in Lavaux, which was rejected on May 19th 2014 by 68.09% of voters.
Influences and tributes
- Lavaux is the name of a song by Prince, on his album 20Ten.
- In 2011, the Swiss Post edited three special stamps dedicated to the region of Lavaux.
Notes and references
- Three special stamps for the Lavaux region, Swiss Post, press release dated 6 September 2011 (page visited on 13 April 2013).
- « Lavaux », three special stamps, Swiss Post (page visited on 13 April 2013).
- Lavaux Vineyard Terraces: The Swiss Wine Route, www.myswitzerland.com (page visited on 10 August 2013).
- The songs begin with "Take me to the vineyards of Lavaux [...]".
- http://www.20min.ch/ro/entertainment/people/story/31041863 (page visited on 10 August 2013).
- Trois timbres-poste spéciaux pour la région de Lavaux, www.poste.ch (page visited on 10 August 2013).
- Lavaux special stamps (page visited on 10 August 2013).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lavaux.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lavaux Vineyard Terraces.|