|Member of the Chamber of Deputies
for Bagno a Ripoli
March 27, 1994 – September 10, 1999
|Mayor of Florence|
June 13, 1999 – June 22, 2009
|Preceded by||Mario Primicerio|
|Succeeded by||Matteo Renzi|
|Member of the European Parliament
for Central Italy
14 June 2009
July 17, 1955 |
|Political party||Democratic Party / S&D|
|Alma mater||University of Florence|
Leonardo Domenici (born July 12, 1955) is an Italian politician. He served as Mayor of Florence from June 13, 1999 until June 2009.
Domenici started his political career in 1976. He joined the ‘’Federazione Giovanile Comunista Italiana’’ (Italian Youth Communist Federation) at the age of 15, and was elected Florence city councilor in 1990 as member of the Italian Communist Party, serving until 1995.
He was elected MP in 1994 (PDS) in Chianti-Valdarno constituency and re-elected in the following elections in 1996 (Ulivo). He spent a lot of time working for the “Institutional Affairs” commission at the Italian Chamber of Deputies, dedicating his efforts in the reforms of Regions and local institutions.
As Mayor of Florence
Guiding a centre-left coalition, on June 13, 1999, he was elected Mayor of Florence at the first round and, on June 27, 2004, I was elected again for a second term.
He was the Chairman of ANCI, the national association of Italian municipalities (2000-2009), and a member of the Bureau of the Committee of the Regions (2008-2009).
As Member of European Parliament
Currently, Leonardo Domenici is a MEP, belonging to the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats (S&D), where he is member of the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs and of the Delegation to the EU-Russia Parliamentary Cooperation Committee.
As President of Fiorentina
- Grand Decoration of Honour in Gold with Star (Großes Goldenes Ehrenzeichen mit Stern), Republic of Austria
- "Dante’s infernal crimes forgiven". The Telegraph. 17 June 2008.
- "Europe seeks to reduce debt ratings’ influence". The New York Times. 28 February 2012.
- "EU Lawmakers Back Sovereign-Debt Curbs for Ratings Companies". Bloomberg. 16 January 2013.
- "Footwear tycoon unveiled as new Fiorentina owner". Sport Illustrated. 3 August 2002.
- Aufstellung aller durch den Bundespräsidenten verliehenen Ehrenzeichen für Verdienste um die Republik Österreich ab 1952 (PDF; 6,9 MB)
- (Italian) "The Mayor of Florence Wikipedia Complaint" from Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera