List of former atheists and agnostics
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with List of atheists.
For lists of atheists who converted to Christianity, Islam, Judaism or Baha'i see the following links:
- List of converts to Christianity from nontheism
- List of converts to Islam from nontheism
- List of converts to Judaism from Atheism
- List of converts to Baha'i#Atheism
All other former atheists and agnostics that have been listed so far are below.
Atheists who converted to Hinduism
- Annie Besant – Theosophist, orator and feminist
- John Dobson became a believer in Vedanta – astronomer and telescope designer
- Sita Ram Goel – Indian commentator, writer and Hindu activist
Atheists who became an unspecified/uncertain form of theism or deism
- Gabrielle Carey - Australian author of Puberty Blues who was raised atheist but converted to Catholicism and then explored other theologies.
- Antony Flew - Philosopher and respected atheist thinker of the 20th century, became a deist.
- Moses Hess - Socialist philosopher and Left Hegelian who first influenced Karl Marx in his criticism of religion, but who later tried to combine the pantheism of Baruch Spinoza with Hegelianism.
- Anne Rice - Best-selling American author of Gothic and religious-themed books. She returned to Catholicism, and remained as such for many years, but has since announced that although she still believes in God and in Christ she no longer considers herself a Christian.
- J. Neil Schulman - Libertarian science fiction writer who states he met, or experienced, God and that this ended his atheism. The first such experience would have occurred when he was 35. That stated he remains skeptical of "the church" and does not belong to any religion.
- Dave Sim - Comics writer and anti-feminist. He converted to, or created, his own mixture of Abrahamic religions.
- Ted Turner - Media mogul who stated that he is no longer an atheist or an agnostic. He has not embraced any specific religion.
Agnostics who converted to Judaism
- Christian B. Anfinsen, Nobel prize-winning chemist who converted from "orthodox agnosticism" to Orthodox Judaism.
- List of atheists
- List of converts to Nontheism
- List of former Jews
- List of former Muslims
- List of former Protestants
- List of former Roman Catholics
- List of former Latter Day Saints
- List of former Christians
- Besant, Annie. The Building of the Kosmos and Other Lectures: Delivered at the Eighteenth. The Path, 1894.
- "John Dobson: Amateur Astronomy's Revolutionary". space.com.
- Wall Street Journal Article about John
- Goel, Sita Ram, "How I became a Hindu"
- ABC Australia.
- The Australian
- BBC Interview Quote: "What I was converted to was the existence of an Aristotelian God, and Aristotle's God had no interest in human affairs at all."
- Moses Hess: The Holy History of Mankind and other writings
- Christianity Today
- LA Times
- Baltimore Sun: My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been or might become.
- Interview with Schulman: "After a thorough analysis of my previous life's experiences, and later experiences that lent validation, I concluded that the reality was that what had happened to me were really encounters with God -- therefore proving God's existence to me."
- Village Voice
- Sun Comics
- "Ted Turner apologizes, joins churches' $200M malaria fight". USA Today (Associated Press). 2008-04-01. Retrieved 2009-10-27.
- Profile of Anfinsen