||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (January 2014)|
Lourdes Grobet studied plastic arts at the Universidad Iberoamericana in Mexico and graphic design and photography in the United Kingdom at Cardiff College of Art and Derby College for Higher Education. She has had more than a hundred individual and joint exhibitions, including at MoMA in New York and San Francisco and festivals such as PHotoEspaña in Madrid.
Much influenced by Mathias Goeritz, the Polish sculptor from Gdansk (Poland) and by Arceves Navarro, a Mexican master of art murals, who were her teachers, Lourdes Grobet worked on pictures of El Santo, one of the most important Mexican wrestlers, and a hero of Lucha libre who starred in more than 50 films. Since 1975, she has published more than 11,000 photographs of the sport, including those on the sport in the United States since the 1930s, and as an important part of Mexican popular culture, adopting a sociological attitude. The sport involves many costumes and masks, leading it to a sport-carnival air which is much appreciated by Mexicans. She has published a number of books: Lourdes Grobet: Lucha Libre (2005), Espectacular de Lucha Libre (2008), Lucha libre mexicana (2008).
In 1975, for the exhibition Hora y media, she transformed a gallery into a photographic laboratory. She developed the photographs, but without fixing them, and displayed them on three walls. While the public looked at the photographs, the lights from the gallery meant that they disappeared.
In 1977, she presented Travelling, an exhibition of photography on an escalator.
Among other works, she took: Paisajes pintados, Teatro campesino, Strip Tease.
- Se escoge el tiempo (We choose the time), (1983)
- Luciernagas (Lucioles) (1984)
- Bodas de Sangre (Drops of blood) (1987)
- Santo y Seña de los Recintos Históricos de la Universidad de México, Éd. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (1996) ISBN 968-36-4630-1
- Lourdes Grobet, Turner, (2004). ISBN 84-7506-620-8
- Lourdes Grobet: Lucha Libre, Editorial Trilce (2005) ISBN 1-933045-05-1
- Espectacular de Lucha Libre, Editorial Trilce (2008) ISBN 968-9044-16-8
- Lucha libre mexicana, Editorial Trilce (2008) ISBN 968-9044-17-6
- (Spanish) Official site of Lourdes Grobet
- (Spanish) (English) "La máscara en la cultura y la política mexicana", text by Lourdes Grobet dealing with her work on Lucha libre
- (Spanish) "Espectacular de Lucha Libre", presentation on the editor's site
- (English) "Lucha Libre. Masked Superstars of Mexican Wrestling" Presentation of the American edition of the book on the site Photo-eye
- (English) "Lourdes Grobet: The Woman Behind the Masks", by Joe Hilliard
- "Photography in Mexico". http://www.sfmoma.org/exhib_events/exhibitions/447. SFMOMA. Retrieved 21 January 2014.