Theatrical poster by Richard Amsel
|Directed by||Stanley Donen|
|Produced by||Michael Gruskoff|
|Written by||Willard Huyck
|Music by||Ralph Burns|
|Edited by||Peter Boita|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Release dates||December 25, 1975|
|Running time||118 minutes|
Lucky Lady is a 1975 American film directed by Stanley Donen and starring Gene Hackman, Liza Minnelli and Burt Reynolds, with Robby Benson. Its story takes place during Prohibition in the United States in the year 1930.
Gene Hackman initially did not want to do the film, but 20th Century Fox kept offering him more and more money. Finally, Fox offered him $1.25 million, and according to talent agent Sue Mengers, "it was almost obscene for him not to do the film."
During the Prohibition era, a young widow, Claire, gets involved in liquor smuggling and romance with two men, Walker and Kibby, off the San Diego coast. Organized crime controls bootlegging back east and wants to do the same here, so a hit man named McTeague is sent to deal with these amateur crooks, as is the Coast Guard, leading to various battles at sea.
- Liza Minnelli as Claire
- Burt Reynolds as Walker
- Gene Hackman as Kibby
- Robby Benson as Billy
- John Hillerman as McTeague
- Geoffrey Lewis as Coast Guard Captain Moseley
- Michael Hordern as Capt. Rockwell
- Anthony Holland as Mr. Tully
- John McLiam as Rass Huggins
- Val Avery as Dolph
- Louis Guss as Bernie
- William Bassett as Charley
The script was sold for $450,000.
The film earned rentals of $12.1 million in North America.
This film was also released under the following titles:
- Abenteurer auf der Lucky Lady - West Germany
- Belali sevgili Turkey - (Turkish title)
- I tyheri kyria Greece - (transliterated ISO-LATIN-1 title)
- In 3 sul Lucky Lady - Italy
- Los aventureros de Lucky Lady - Spain
- Lucky Lady - Hungary
- Oh, vilket sjöslag! - Sweden
- Os aventureiros de Lucky Lady - Brazil (TV title)
- Tre smarte smuglere på 'Lucky Lady' - Denmark
- Uma Mulher dos Diabos - Portugal (imdb display title)
- Una dama con suerte - Venezuela
- Viskiseikkailu Lucky Ladyllä - Finland
- "Empty Bed Blues" - Written by J.C. Johnson, Performed by Bessie Smith
- "Ain't Misbehavin'" - Music by Fats Waller and Harry Brooks, Lyrics by Andy Razaf, Performed by Burt Reynolds
- "A Hot Time in the Old Town" - Music by Theo. A. Metz, Lyrics by Joe Hayden, Performed by Bessie Smith
- " (Get) While the Getting is Good" - Written by John Kander and Fred Ebb, Performed by Liza Minnelli
- "Lucky Lady Montage" - Written by John Kander and Fred Ebb, Performed by Liza Minnelli
- "Lucky Lady (reprise)" - Written by John Kander and Fred Ebb, Performed by Liza Minnelli
- "Lucky Lady, Box Office Information". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 22, 2012.
- Litwak, Mark (1986). Reel Power: The Struggle for Influence and Success in the New Hollywood. New York: William Morrow and Company. p. 86. ISBN 0-688-04889-7.
- "Lucky Lady, 1975". Amazon. Retrieved May 15, 2012.
- Screenwriter as Star: Shaking the Shackles Laskos, Andrew. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 29 Aug 1976: k1.
- Solomon, Aubrey. Twentieth Century Fox: A Corporate and Financial History (The Scarecrow Filmmakers Series). Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 1989. ISBN 978-0-8108-4244-1. p233. Please note figures are rentals accruing to distributors and not total gross.
- Lucky Lady at the Internet Movie Database
- Lucky Lady at AllMovie
- Lucky Lady at the TCM Movie Database