|Born||24 January 1955
Hollywood, California, USA
|Alma mater||The Evergreen State College, Olympia, Washington, 1976|
|Occupation||co-founder Lynda.com, Author/Writer, Speaker|
Weinman, with self-taught computer skills, worked in the film industry as a special effects animator, and became a faculty member at Art Center College of Design, UCLA, American Film Institute, and San Francisco State University multimedia studies program teaching computer graphics, animation, interactive design, and motion graphics. She has also written some books.
A year after graduating, Weinman opened two retail stores, Vertigo on Melrose and Vertigo on Sunset in Los Angeles. They closed in 1982.
Weinman worked for Dreamquest and as an independent contractor doing animation and special effects. She worked on several films, including RoboCop 2 (1990), Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989), and Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989).
Weinman attributes her initial interest in computers to her having taught herself how to use an Apple II when a boyfriend brought it home. She acquired these skills by reading the manual.
Weinman taught digital media and motion graphics at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California from 1989 to 1996. Her book designing web graphics, published by New Riders in 1995, often is credited[by whom?] with being the first title to discuss web authoring technologies from a visual design perspective.
The Lynda.com Online Training Library teaches computer skills in video format to members through monthly and annual subscription-based plans. The company was founded in Ojai, California and has since moved to Ventura and Carpinteria, California, where it currently[when?] employs more than 200 full-time staff members and more than 140 teachers who earn royalties from their shared revenue model. The company website was created in 1995 and the company was incorporated in 1997.
Lynda.com evolved from its original conception as a free web resource for Lynda’s students, to the site for her books on web design, to the registration hub for physical classrooms and conferences, to an online virtual knowledge library, where today, members may watch software and technology courses in several categories (3D and animation, audio, business, design, development, home computing, photography, video, and web and interactive design). The company also produces documentaries about creative professionals.
Lynda.com and United Digital Artists Productions, Inc. (UAD) co-founded the Flashforward Conferences and the Flash Film Festival, which first took place in 1999. The Flashforward Conference was the first event focused on Macromedia Flash, and fourteen events were held in San Francisco, New York, London, and Amsterdam, serving more than 20,000 attendees over six years. The Flash Film Festival presented more than 200 awards to Flash sites and applications, to winners from more than 30 countries. The last scheduled conference was in August 2008.
Weinman has authored or co-authored sixteen books. She also has authored magazine articles, including:
- Weinman, Lynda (January 1996). designing web graphics. New Riders Publishing. p. 258. ISBN 1-56205-532-1.
- Weinman, Lynda; Heavin, Bruce; Karp, Ali (November 1996). coloring web graphics. New Riders Publishing. p. 295. ISBN 1-56205-669-7.
- Weinman, Lynda (February 1997). designing web graphics.2. New Riders Publishing. p. 447. ISBN 1-56205-715-4.
- Weinman, Lynda (May 1997). preparing web graphics. New Riders Publishing. p. 238. ISBN 1-56205-686-7.
- Weinman, Lynda; Heavin, Bruce; Karp, Ali (September 1997). coloring web graphics.2. New Riders Publishing. p. 314. ISBN 1-56205-818-5.
- Weinman, Lynda; Weinman, William (January 1998). creative html design. New Riders Publishing. p. 434. ISBN 1-56205-704-9.
- Weinman, Lynda; Warren Lentz, Jon (May 1998). deconstructing web graphics. New Riders Publishing. p. 229. ISBN 1-56205-859-2.
- Weinman, Lynda (March 1999). designing web graphics.3. New Riders Publishing. p. 480. ISBN 1-56205-949-1.
- Weinman, Lynda (March 2000). Photoshop 5.5 and ImageReady 2.0 Hands-On Training. Peachpit Press. p. 512. ISBN 0-201-35467-5.
- Weinman, Lynda; Weinman, William (April 2001). creative html design.2. Waite Group Press. p. 544. ISBN 0-7357-0972-6.
- Weinman, Lynda; Kabili, Jan (October 2001). Photoshop 6 / ImageReady 3 Hands-On Training. Pearson Education. p. 672. ISBN 0-201-72796-X.
- Weinman, Lynda; Newman, Craig (July 2002). After Effects 5.0/5.5 Hands-On Training. Peachpit Press. p. 648. ISBN 0-201-75469-X.
- Weinman, Lynda; Kabili, Jan (December 2002). Photoshop 7 / ImageReady For the Web Hands-On Training. Peachpit Press. p. 616. ISBN 0-321-11276-8.
- Weinman, Lynda (January 2003). designing web graphics.4. New Riders Publishing. p. 552. ISBN 0-7357-1079-1.
- Weinman, Lynda (December 2003). Adobe After Effects 6 Hands-On Training. Peachpit Press. p. 672. ISBN 0-321-22854-5.
- Weinman, Lynda; Fahs, Chad (August 2006). Adobe After Effects 7 Hands-On Training. Peachpit Press; Bk&CD-Rom edition. p. 528. ISBN 0-321-39775-4.
- Web; Better Web Graphics with Transparency. Macworld, October 1998
- A Web graphics primer. Macworld, May 1998
- Tile your site: use tiles to create the layered look on your Web pages. Macworld, May 1998
- Preparing Web graphics. Macworld, August 1996
- Lynda Weinman on What's Next for Flash in 2006. PeachPit, January 6, 2006 
- Web Design Tips: Making Site Comps and Prototypes. CreativePro.com, August 13, 2003 
- Art Center College of Design Great Teacher Award, 1997
- San Francisco Women on the Web Top 25 Women, 1999
- GirlGeeks Golden Horn-Rims Award recipient, 2000,
- First Hollywood Film Festival’s Discovery CyberAwards Nominee, 10.14.1997 
- Entrepreneur of the Year finalist, Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year 2010 Regional Awards 
- Entrepreneur of the Year, South Coast Business and Technology Awards
- 2011 Women of Achievement Award, Association for Women in Communications, Santa Barbara chapter (AWC-SB)
- Santa Barbara International Film Festival
- AIGA National Board Member, 2009- 
- Miller Freeman Web Design & Development Conferences
- "New Media Magazine"
- The Evergreen State College Foundation Board of Governors & Trustees, 2004-
Weinman is the namesake and benefactor for the 'Lynda Lab', the Experimental Effects Lab in the Center for Creative and Applied Media (CCAM) at her alma mater, The Evergreen State College. The foundation has a pledge from Weinman and husband, Bruce Heavin, to establish an endowment supporting equipment in the CCAM. Weinman and Heavin also have contributed to scholarships at Art Center College of Design, as well as an ongoing endowment for additional scholarships.
- Evergreen State College Magazine, Spring 2008
- Smith, Leo (October 27, 1998). "Founder of Ojai Web Design Center Fills Technological Need". Los Angeles Times.
- Murphy, Barbara (August 11, 1998). "Author to Open Center for Digital Arts in Ojai". Los Angeles Times.
- Ari Levy (January 16, 2013). "Lynda.com Lands $103 Million in Biggest Education Financing". Bloomberg Tech Deals. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- "Flashforward home". Former conference web site. Archived from the original on November 8, 2008. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- "Girl Geeks Want to Be Heard". Wired. November 7, 2000.
- lynda.com - online software training company co-founded by Lynda Weinman. Provider of educational materials for individuals, businesses and schools, including the Online Training Library and CD- and DVD-based video training.
- Hansel Minutes
- The Browser-Safe Web Palette