MCI Center (Los Angeles)
|Alternative names||Broadway Plaza
|Architectural style||International style|
|Location||700 South Flower Street
Los Angeles, California, USA
|Roof||126.3 m (414 ft)|
|Floor area||63,032 m2 (678,470 sq ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||The Luckman Partnership|
MCI Center is a 126.3 m (414 ft) skyscraper in downtown Los Angeles, California, United States. It was completed in 1973 and has 33 floors. It is 32nd tallest building in Los Angeles. The Class A building has 63,032 m2 (678,470 sq ft) of office space with a glass atrium and courtyard. On March 21, 2005 Jamison Properties bought the building for $150 per square foot. This purchase included 925 West Eighth Street (originally known as the "Broadway Plaza" which became known as Macy's Plaza) and the 3,000 space parking garage. In 2013, the Ratkovich Company acquired the property, and after a redesign by Johnson Fain Architects, renamed the plaza “The Bloc.” Known for the fortress-like facade, the ground level is becoming more pedestrian friendly by removing brick walls and the glass atrium. The developer is also planning a sunken, sunlight-filled public plaza that directly connects to the 7th Street / Metro Center Station.
Metrolink at one time had its headquarters in the MCI Center. By 2000, Metrolink had expanded its lease in the MCI Center by 6,700 square feet (620 m2), giving the agency a total of around 40,000 square feet (3,700 m2) of space. In June 2011, Metrolink moved its headquarters to the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LACMTA) headquarters at 1 Gateway Plaza at Los Angeles Union Station.
In popular culture
- Prominently featured in the 1974 disaster film, Earthquake as the fictional "Wilson Plaza", a field hospital set up after a major earthquake strikes the Los Angeles basin. Filming was done over two nights in the spring of 1974, and centered mainly around the atrium plaza area, and the escalators on the Sheraton Hotel entrance to the building.
- MCI Center (Los Angeles) at CTBUH Skyscraper Database
- MCI Center (Los Angeles) at Emporis
- MCI Center (Los Angeles) at SkyscraperPage
- MCI Center (Los Angeles) at Structurae
- Vincent, Roger (June 06, 2013) "Developer has big plans for dated Macy's Plaza in downtown L.A." Los Angeles Times
- Verrier, Richard and Vincent, Roger (August 12, 2014) "Alamo Drafthouse Cinema plans downtown L.A. theater" Los Angeles Times
- "Contact Us". Metrolink. Retrieved March 18, 2010.
- "Commercial Real Estate Deals". Los Angeles Times. October 3, 2000. p. 10. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- "Contact Us". La Opinión. Retrieved on June 1, 2010.